Fuskies

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Fuskies

Post by Duck07 »

bdkipe wrote:Speaking of the usual Ted Bundy jokes, the best thing I saw on Twitter last Saturday was a response from a random non-Duck College Football Fan during a thread on our hatred for the purple-and-gold-clad-leg-humping-upcountry-degens from Seattle:

Duck fan: "Ted Bundy was a Husky"

Random college fan: "Whoa! What did Ted Bundy ever do to you?!?"

We were watching some games and I spit my cocktail all over the couch. This Friday and Saturday I will proudly be rocking my "Even Geez Hates The Huskies" T-shirt for 48 hours.
To be fair, most younger people don't know the difference between Al Bundy and Ted Bundy. One was famous for 4 first half touchdowns and the No Maam Club while the other was famous for ah nevermind.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Frankly, I didn't hate the huskies until I moved to Seattle after college. I was in school 2007-2011, and we beat uw like a rag doll, so I had no reason for animosity then. After college, however, I worked in downtown Seattle, and experienced just how stiflingly stupid their fanbase is. There was the outright animosity (people yelling from cars as I walked down a peaceful street in Queen Anne while wearing a ducks shirt, fat guy pushing me while I was taking a piss in a urinal while wearing a ducks shirt in Fremont), but what actually annoyed me more was how pompous their fans and grads are. When I later moved to NYC, I found out Michigan has this in common with uw. Their fans & grads think their school is Harvard, which blows my mind. When I was at that first job in Seattle, my boss (uw grad) spent an entire lunch trying to tell me washington is a better school than Stanford. At a UofO/uw away game, we regularly heard chants of "You're gonna work for us someday!" (Irony, I had weight in my firm's hiring decisions, and you can guess who was graded on a curve..) Another time I had a higher-up at my firm who said UofO grads either end up in fast food or as air stewardesses. That's the kind of s*** that makes me not dislike uw, but outright hate them.
I've definitely experienced the "yelled at by a Husky fan who didn't invest in dentistry" scenario more than once. During year 11 of the Duckade I remember having a fat guy yelling at my friend wearing a Duck t-shirt in downtown Seattle. We laughed so hard. Their fan base is so weird, so many of them stick their chest out over Washington's academic superiority despite themselves having gone to South Puget Community College.
I can't agree with you more! I've worked around the world with many people with degrees from various schools. On average, from my experience, UW grads think that they graduated from an elite university but I haven't been very impressed with the level of sophistication and intellect of UW grads, at least in the financial fields.

My disdain for UW stems from constantly hearing from my friends who went to UW that they will beat us this year, have the best recruits coming in, and will win the national championship. And that was during the Chip era. :lol:
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Offseason Natty®

® - Registered trademark of the University of Washington. All rights reserved.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

When I first started going to Duck games in the mid to late 1970s, I don't recall being aware of a strong rivalry with UW, even after I watched them bomb Oregon at Autzen 54-0 in 1977, Rich Brooks' first year as HC. In fact, I rooted for them (with Warren Moon as QB) in the Rose Bowl of 1978 as the "Pacific Northwest" team, and perhaps a year or so after that. My "turning" perhaps began with the 1979 late punt return UW victory dagger at Autzen.

For the most part, it's what I just call "Husky arrogance." Just a general sense you get that their fans think they "belong" as the dominant football program in the Pacific NW, that that is the natural and proper order of things.

A bit of an example has to do with my Husky brother-in-law (sister's husband), whom I'll call "Bob" (since that's his name). I love Bob, but when I shared with him in the summer of 2017 -- during the offseason after the mostly disastrous 2016 season -- my prediction that Oregon would go 8-5/9-4 or so in 2017 (a record which they almost surely would have achieved had Herbert not been out for five games), he was very surprised. Surely, apparently he thought, you realize that the previous season, especially with the blowout home loss to his UW, meant that the Ducks had returned to ongoing mediocrity, as if it was the 1970s or 1980s, that the previous 12 consecutive Duck victories apparently meant absolutely nothing. I reminded Bob about the previous 12 games between the two schools, explained that the Ducks' recruiting classes the past number of years were consistently rated higher than UW's, that the Ducks had still beaten a highly ranked Utah team on the road late in the season (suggesting that plenty of talent was there, but they perhaps were just being severely undercoached), that the stellar facilities weren't going anywhere, etc. But he just could not seem to see past the single pasting UW had put on Oregon the previous year, that that was the "normalcy" that had now returned.

We don't talk a whole lot about the football teams on the occasions when we see each other, but I assume he's been slightly educated since then, if only because the Ducks have spent some time ranked in each of the 2017 and 2018 seasons.