Any recs for things to check out/places to eat pre-game?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

QuackAttack11
High School Drop Out

Any recs for things to check out/places to eat pre-game?

Post by QuackAttack11 »

Hey folks. 2011 UO grad here. A couple friends from California are heading to Autzen for the UCLA game in a few weeks. They're actually not UCLA fans, but I've talked up the Autzen atmosphere and they want to check it out.

Other than the obvious drinking and tailgating, they've asked me for recommendations on anything cool they should check out in the area before the game, any particularly good places to eat, etc. I'm a bit embarrassed to say I haven't been to a game since I graduated (I live in NY now), so my knowledge of what's there may be a bit dated. Any recommendations I can pass along? Thanks much. Go Ducks.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Any recs for things to check out/places to eat pre-game?

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm going to guess you and I probably have a minimum of 15 mutual facebook friends given the UO & NYC commonalities.

Two of my old NYC roommates are visiting this weekend for the uw game, and here's what I plan to do: Breakfast at Studio One or Glenwood, Renee's Landing pregame, then the river walk to the stadium, and tailgate with any time left before the game. After the game (it's a 12:30 kick), walk through campus, point out the Pioneer Man (Jebediah Springfield) for my buddy who is a big Simpson's fan, Max's, and then go to the downtown bars because we're not 20 anymore.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

STU, for any Simpsons fan, the murals in Springfield are a must see, very near to Pioneer Man: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... regon.html
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Thanks for the heads up!
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

A lot of this stuff won't be new to you, but here's a little write up I did on Reddit for someone visiting Eugene with friends for the first time:

Food

I recommend Track Town pizza to everyone. It's my favorite pizza in the world. With the game being a 12:30 start it will be packed afterwards. TVs with college football, great pizza, great beer, full of Duck fans. Not unusual to run into people of import there and Duck athletes.

For breakfast the Pancake House is a local favorite.

Burrito Boy is also a favorite of mine, and thousands college kids, when I'm in Eugene.

If you're feeling desert, Prince Puckler's is the way to go. Down the street from the to be mentioned below torn-down Hayward Field.

Bars

Taylor's is probably the campus bar of choice. Located across the street from the Duck Store, since I assume all of you will want to check it out. It's going to be packed, loud, and rowdy. You might hear it from a block away.

Other bars of repute: Rennies, Webfoot, the Cooler, Max's. Fun fact: Max's Tavern is supposedly the inspiration for The Simpsons Moe's Tavern.

Other things of interest:

The campus. It will be bustling with youngins. Lots of cool stuff to see. Old buildings, college feel. The Jaqua Center (Oregon's athletic academic support building) is pretty cool and it's just down the street from -

Matthew Knight Arena. It's actually across the street from Track Town. That cool new Duck statue lives outside of there.

I would normally say historic Hayward Field, but it has been torn down to be re-built for the track and field world championships. It's usually something visiting fans want to check out, but be forewarned it's basically a construction site at the moment. I was shocked when I saw it last month.

Pre's Trail. Another pilgrimage site, close to Autzen Stadium. Chances are you'll be walking over the pedestrian bridge (watch out for spiders) and through Alton Baker park. No, there is no skunk infestation, that's just the permanent smell of pot that permeates Alton Baker.

Tailgate spots: by the stadium, parking lots. Yes, you can have beer there and no one will hassle you. I'm not sure how they're doing it with expanded beer sales on rainy days (if it rains outside, we know it doesn't rain inside the stadium) but you could hang out in the Moshofsky Center (the indoor practice facility) before the game. Also next to the stadium.

The baseball and softball stadiums are also pretty cool. I liked walking by Mac Court, it's weird to see it basically shuttered.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

For food I always suggest Chiefs in Coburg, they have the best burger in Lane County IMO and their brisket sandwich is very popular. In addition I also always suggest Papa’s BBQ chicken pizza, best pizza I’ve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I miss $5 all you can eat breakfast at The Cooler.

The 1 thing I always think people should do, especially with those who have never been to Autzen, is to take them across the footbridge to take in their first view of the place.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Yes, breakfast at Studio One and then walk down the street and across the bridge to the stadium It's a singularly wonderful experience.
QuackAttack11
High School Drop Out

Post by QuackAttack11 »

Thanks, everyone. These are all great suggestions--some I know from my time there, and several I didn't (either because they're new or I was just ignorant). Appreciate it.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

Before the Stanford game we went to Falling Sky Brewery on 13th (& Willamette I think). Some really good beers, cocktails for those inclined and had a really good burger. Will definitely go back.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

EncinitasDuck wrote:Before the Stanford game we went to Falling Sky Brewery on 13th (& Willamette I think). Some really good beers, cocktails for those inclined and had a really good burger. Will definitely go back.
Great spot, but no TVs! Any other day but a fall Saturday and i'd be fine with that.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:Before the Stanford game we went to Falling Sky Brewery on 13th (& Willamette I think). Some really good beers, cocktails for those inclined and had a really good burger. Will definitely go back.
Great spot, but no TVs! Any other day but a fall Saturday and i'd be fine with that.
Correct sir. And also not sure of their breakfast offering considering a 12:30pm kickoff. I'm sure the bloody mary's will be flowing however. They had some good craft vodka.