#12 Oregon @ #25 WSU (Oct. 20, Sat 4:30 PM FOX)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dphi
Two Star Recruit

Re: #12 Oregon @ #25 WSU (Oct. 20, Sat 4:30 PM FOX)

Post by dphi »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Oregon always has a tough time in Pullman. You put that with them having a bye week before us and this game becomes really scary. They will be totally ready for Oregon especially with college game day in town. I think the idea that it will be to much for them is ludicrous. They will want to put on a good performance and will be more than ready for Oregon. I still think Oregon wins. This is going to be a hard fought game. Fortunately for Oregon they have 3 tough games to fall back on and rely on that experience of being in a hard fought game. Hopefully the last one has not taken to much out of Oregon.
I will say this about our last three losses to them, they beat us when we had Lockie, Prukop, and Burmeister at QB. I'm thinking things will be a little different this time around.
BearlyBalanced
One Star Recruit

Post by BearlyBalanced »

So excited... was on the fence about going, tickets on Craigslist were wayyyy above my budget and them the school apparently released a few extra! Face value ticket to the best show in the country Saturday! Go DUCKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

dphi wrote:I will say this about our last three losses to them, they beat us when we had Lockie, Prukop, and Burmeister at QB. I'm thinking things will be a little different this time around.
On that note, I thought it was kind of funny to see (at least some of) Leach's comments about WSU's success vs. the Ducks recently (https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index. ... -readducks):

On how Washington State has been so successful against Oregon:
That's a good question We've always been ready to play them. We've always been excited to go out there and play and that's the biggest part of it: Be excited to be there and do your job. They've been really hard-fought games, all of them have. I think this one will be the same. They're very fast guys and then they always seem like they're very fast-moving games. They move fast and then, of course, we're throwing it downfield so the pace, it's always got a quick pace to it. So I think this one will be the same that way. I don't know but it's come down to whoever's most willing to slug it out at the end.

Not one word about the Oregon starting QB being out for the 2015 and 2017 games. I guess it's possible that O-Live didn't include something Leach said about that, but I think it would have been included had he said it.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Biggus Duckus wrote:I doubt Leach even remembers those QBs. I sure as hell didn't...
But I would think he would remember that the Ducks were without their starting QB each time. We certainly remember that.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Apparently Faoliu's not practicing today was "planned maintenance," and he isn't expected to miss the WSU game. Really good to hear.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index. ... iver_index
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Greenblood wrote:Apparently Faoliu's not practicing today was "planned maintenance." Really good to hear.

I thought "Faoliu 2021" was his graduation year, not the vehicle model, but guess I was wrong!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Best believe Leach is going after #4 all game....but LEach is also cocky...and will go after good DB's too...

Hoping Ugo/Lenoir/Holland can get some picks.
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

Greenblood wrote:Apparently Faoliu's not practicing today was "planned maintenance," and he isn't expected to miss the WSU game. Really good to hear.

Great to hear. Gonna need all the play makers we've got on D.

As for Grant saying Leach will target #4, lol he FOR SURE will.

Anybody else read Rob try and play off the Ty Jones TD as Graham had a long way to cover and he would've been fine had he not slipped...
Other than a 43-yard touchdown play in which UO cornerback Thomas Graham Jr. had to shadow Ty Jones across a wide swatch of field and then lost his footing
Love me some Rob but lol... I guess I have a new definition if getting turned around like you're in the Oaks Park teacups and trailing your guy 10-15 yards = shadowing
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

This game worries me much more than UW, and that was before last Saturday's win. On the bright side, I was much more concerned with Cal than Stanford and we handled Cal pretty easily (should have done the same with the Cardinal too but that's for another day, another time).

The key to this game will be Oregon's front 4. Can the DL get pressure on WSU's QB without needing too much blitzing from the LBs and DBs? If we can get pressure with just the front 4, I'm confident we can blanket their receivers.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Headed to eastern Washington tomorrow! Stoked for this game.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

DmoneyDuck wrote:The key to this game will be Oregon's front 4. Can the DL get pressure on WSU's QB without needing too much blitzing from the LBs and DBs? If we can get pressure with just the front 4, I'm confident we can blanket their receivers.
And isn't much of the difficulty in getting pressure on the WSU QB that the QB tends to get rid of the ball so quickly in that offense? WSU stands #3 in the nation in QB sacked %, so pressuring the QB is going to be a real challenge.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Greenblood wrote:
DmoneyDuck wrote:The key to this game will be Oregon's front 4. Can the DL get pressure on WSU's QB without needing too much blitzing from the LBs and DBs? If we can get pressure with just the front 4, I'm confident we can blanket their receivers.
And isn't much of the difficulty in getting pressure on the WSU QB that the QB tends to get rid of the ball so quickly in that offense? WSU stands #3 in the nation in QB sacked %, so pressuring the QB is going to be a real challenge.
I actually don't think our plan is to get after Minshew in this game per se. I think our plan is to try and collapse the pocket and create narrow throwing lanes for him to pass out of. I believe our number 1 key in this game is our ability to tackle and limit YAC followed by our ability to collapse a tight pocket and keep him in it so we can get our hands up.

Our ability to disguise and shift what he sees vs what we do is what will lead to coverage sacks in this game. It may look frustrating at times, but a true bend but dont break where we use our blitzes for the right calls is what I think we're going to see.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

A huge key also is limiting the run game. They have killed us at times with changing things up
running the ball. Against Wash we had good coverage at times and Browning had to scramble.
We need makie Minshew very uncomfortable in the pocket. Need to make him throw into coverage
and get turnovers. If we can keep him rattled we have a great chance. I doubt the cougs can stop Oregons
offense.