#12 Oregon @ #25 WSU (Oct. 20, Sat 4:30 PM FOX)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: #12 Oregon @ #25 WSU (Oct. 20, Sat 4:30 PM FOX)

Post by greenyellow »

GrantDuck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Oregon still isn't talented enough at the skill positions to really stress many defenses. It'll be another year or two before that happens.
I don't disagree with this, but chip had some average WR groups with nobody as good as Mitchell and still did things. Arroyo was really bad today.
But he had some great RBs and TEs that took the pressure off the WRs.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

The running game was bad because WSU had the perfect game plan and the OL looked stuck in the mud

We couldn't run all night, even when the pass opened things up

The coaches were just as stunned as the players

The WRs are very average overall, but JJIII dropping wide open passes is mental not physical. We don't need 5 stars at we to win
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Just finished watching the game, it seemed like our coaches had a very lazy gameplan, like they just thought they could go call predictable plays and the players would do the work for them. That was disappointing. Even Leavitt got owned this game. Just a terrible first half, they looked like they never played football before on that opening drive.

We continued to see why Herbert isn’t Mariota, His inconsistencies were hard to watch tonight and he was more consistent then maybe we come back. But at the same time he’s so dang good, once he gets his timing and consistency down he’ll be an NFL Star.

The OLine played so soft, so incredibly soft, Cristobal is gonna beat their butts all week. We just watched out offensive line get beat up and punker by smaller defensive lineman. Maybe Sewell was a bigger loss than we realized.

I know the coaches want this downhill rushing attack, but my goodness did we need a TBJ or Taj Griffin type guy tonight, someone in the backfield that can take it the distance would’ve been HUGE against WSU’s aggressive scheme. The coaches can’t be so one dimensional and tonight showed why.

UGH CB PLAY ANNOYS ME! And overall they played good today! Lenoir played a solid game and Graham wasn’t terrible, our LB’s got DESTROYED though. But gosh I’m so tired of seeing our CB’s busy watching the backfield to cover their men on HUGE plays. On their last 4th down conversion Amadi was too busy trying to read the backfield and gave up an easy 4th down conversion, if Oregon stops there we have the ball with momentum and we have a good chance at going into OT. That was frustrating. This has been an issue all season and seeing it not be fixed is really annoying me. Also, Holland had a tough game, but I believe he’ll get better for it. I doubt he’ll ever let a receiver outfight him for a ball like that again.

Overall, proud of the team for fighting back in the second half, but so disappointed in the coaches for what we saw tonight. Arroyo really let the team down with that lame gameplan and Cristobal clearly did not have this team prepared. I’m also disappointed in the lack of emotional leadership, just, very disappointed. This team will learn from this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Cristobal is 0-2 in gameday games, that’s no fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

There’s no way around it, that game was a couple of power kicks to the meat and potatoes. That’s a game that can make or break the season, much like the Stanford game. I’m taking nothing away from Wazzu, they pushed the Ducks stuff in all across the field but we should have seen this coming. Not so much the Ducks looking like Zona/OSU, but a Wazzu win.

Ducks were coming off of an emotional rivalry victory
Wazzu coming off of a bye
The additional hype of Gameday being in Pullman
Oregon has outperformed expectations all season, IMO

Maybe it’s the wine, but I’m not going to overreact to this game. Oregon will be kicking themselves for that first half performance for the rest of the season, that’s for sure. Preseason, how many of us would have been happy with 5-2 through 7 games?
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

We saw clearly that the opening minutes of a game are the most important. It sometimes doesn't seem that way, when both teams are equally motivated. But when one team clearly is juiced and the other flat, tonight happens. It happens in every sport. I will never forget hearing Clyde Drexler cite it after a dismal Trail Blazers performance. The Coach's will say its on them for not having the team prepared. but, I really don't know what Cristobal did not do to get the team ready.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Essentially two bad halves (2nd half vs Stanford and 1st vs WSU) have been the difference in Oregon being 5-2 rather than 7-0.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Young team, coaching inexperience, but especially a group of players without much depth that takes plays off and plays inconsistently

They could be a playoff, top 6 team next year, but they will need to grow mentally

The difference between the top teams and the next 10-20 is talent, depth and mental fortitude
greenyellow wrote:Essentially two bad halves (2nd half vs Stanford and 1st vs WSU) have been the difference in Oregon being 5-2 rather than 7-0.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

Duckenstein wrote:Young team, coaching inexperience, but especially a group of players without much depth that takes plays off and plays inconsistently

They could be a playoff, top 6 team next year, but they will need to grow mentally

The difference between the top teams and the next 10-20 is talent, depth and mental fortitude
greenyellow wrote:Essentially two bad halves (2nd half vs Stanford and 1st vs WSU) have been the difference in Oregon being 5-2 rather than 7-0.
In a nutshell, we just arent there yet...