Is Marcus Arroyo Allergic to the screen pass?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Is Marcus Arroyo Allergic to the screen pass?

Post by GrantDuck »

I'm absolutely baffled against the aggressive junk defense that we don't try a single freakin' screen pass (WR or RB) or a shovel pass, or something to take advantage of it.

Anyway, I have a full breakdown after re-watch. I have a feeling it's not as bad as it looked, but it's absolutely baffling..I don't think we've run a GD screen since Taj Griffin left the damn roster....chip used to wreck teams with those plays.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Is Marcus Arroyo Allergic to the screen pass?

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Not using TBJ in a game like this so baffled me. Oregon got outcoached big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Not using TBJ in a game like this so baffled me. Oregon got outcoached big time.

He dominated Utah last year, we better see him running to the edge in that game.
midwestduck82
Three Star Recruit

Post by midwestduck82 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Not using TBJ in a game like this so baffled me. Oregon got outcoached big time.

Maybe there is still some injury concerns. I was surprised he didn't take an offensive snap tonight. He would been better for those passes to the flats than Verdell.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

I'm not confident in the playcalling

I like the halftime adjustments from Levitt

But arroyo gets really conservative sometimes, and if we can't run it, his second option is to leave it up

He doesn't have a bread and butter play like the bubble screen
GrantDuck wrote:I'm absolutely baffled against the aggressive junk defense that we don't try a single freakin' screen pass (WR or RB) or a shovel pass, or something to take advantage of it.

Anyway, I have a full breakdown after re-watch. I have a feeling it's not as bad as it looked, but it's absolutely baffling..I don't think we've run a GD screen since Taj Griffin left the damn roster....chip used to wreck teams with those plays.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Better question would be if Johnny Johnson is allergic to catching the ball.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Dude has some kind of mental hangup
Duck24 wrote:Better question would be if Johnny Johnson is allergic to catching the ball.
midwestduck82
Three Star Recruit

Post by midwestduck82 »

Duck24 wrote:Better question would be if Johnny Johnson is allergic to catching the ball.
He doesn't concentrate on open passes. He can only catch the ball on fade routes over his shoulder when the defender makes him focus on what he's doing.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

midwestduck82 wrote:

Maybe there is still some injury concerns. I was surprised he didn't take an offensive snap tonight. He would been better for those passes to the flats than Verdell.
If there are injury concerns and they’re having him return kicks then this coaching staff is quite dumb. Everyone knows kickoff returns are the most dangerous play in football so having him return kickoffs with injury concerns would be just silly.

To me the coaches just wanted a smashmouth run game and WSU dared the coaches to use the edges but the coaches were too stubborn to. Arroyo got owned by WSU’s defensive strategy.

midwestduck82
Three Star Recruit

Post by midwestduck82 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
midwestduck82 wrote:

If there are injury concerns and they’re having him return kicks then this coaching staff is quite dumb. Everyone knows kickoff returns are the most dangerous play in football so having him return kickoffs with injury concerns would be just silly.

To me the coaches just wanted a smashmouth run game and WSU dared the coaches to use the edges but the coaches were too stubborn to. Arroyo got owned by WSU’s defensive strategy.

You're right. No idea why they're leaving TBJ on the sideline. He should have been the RB to take that dump off to Verdell that ended in an open field tackle for a 2 yard loss.
midwestduck82
Three Star Recruit

Post by midwestduck82 »

TBJ needs to be in the game. I like Dye. He'll be a good back next year after some weight room time with Feld. But why is he taking snaps over TBJ?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

midwestduck82 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
midwestduck82 wrote:

You're right. No idea why they're leaving TBJ on the sideline. He should have been the RB to take that dump off to Verdell that ended in an open field tackle for a 2 yard loss.
TBJ has been fighting a nagging injury for quite a while, I suspect he must have aggravated the injury again. Cristobal made a comment about it before the Huskies game, I think the quote is in the "injuri" thread. In short MC said TBJ is getting back into it by returning kicks, but he didn't feel TBJ could take the pounding a RB takes yet.
Jesseisabeast
One Star Recruit

Post by Jesseisabeast »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
midwestduck82 wrote:

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duckenstein wrote:Dude has some kind of mental hangup
Whatever his hangups, I hope he enjoyed starting for a couple years because he won't be a starter next year. Unless our WR class falls apart again, we will have a bunch of new guys, and Johnson and Schooler won't be on the field much. Neither get separation, and Schooler does nothing to help out Herbert when he does.look his way.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

midwestduck82 wrote:TBJ needs to be in the game. I like Dye. He'll be a good back next year after some weight room time with Feld. But why is he taking snaps over TBJ?
He gets hurt every 3 Carrie's. I like TBJ but he's been passed on the depth chart.