Observations from last night

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan96
Senior

Observations from last night

Post by duckfan96 »

1. Defense was ok, in position but missed tackles killed Oregon
2. Breeland is a viable 2nd option (after Mitchell) and should get more thrown to him
3. Johnson can’t catch easy catches. Is he that much better than Davis? Or Addison? Hines?
4. Refs sucked
5. WSU coulda been flagged for pi literally every play. Mugging Oregon’s wrs
6. That one dude from WSU danced for 30 seconds after sacks no Herbert. Anyone remember Washington’s penalty against zona (I think). Much worse
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Observations from last night

Post by karlhungis »

It's concerning that the coaches struggle to prepare the team for hostile environments. This felt a lot like the Boise game.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
midwestduck82
Three Star Recruit

Post by midwestduck82 »

duckfan96 wrote: 5. WSU coulda been flagged for pi literally every play. Mugging Oregon’s wrs
6. That one dude from WSU danced for 30 seconds after sacks no Herbert. Anyone remember Washington’s penalty against zona (I think). Much worse
That play Schooler was thrown to the ground should have been defensive holding and unnecessary roughness.

They did whatever they wanted all night without the refs throwing a flag.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

They did. But. It's up to the coaches to prep players

Refs are circumstantial
midwestduck82 wrote:
duckfan96 wrote: 5. WSU coulda been flagged for pi literally every play. Mugging Oregon’s wrs
That play Schooler was thrown to the ground should have been defensive holding and unnecessary roughness.

They did whatever they wanted all night without the refs throwing a flag.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

The refs allowed physical play in the secondary for both teams. WSU took advantage of it , Oregon refused to do so until the 2nd half when they realized that it works against timing based passing. I don't know to much about defenses but it looked like Oregon's starting plan was to rush minimally and drop as many into zone as possible.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

FlDuckFan wrote:The refs allowed physical play in the secondary for both teams. WSU took advantage of it , Oregon refused to do so until the 2nd half when they realized that it works against timing based passing. I don't know to much about defenses but it looked like Oregon's starting plan was to rush minimally and drop as many into zone as possible.
In theory that seems to be the correct strategy against WSU, but it was executed poorly. Mainly because, as has been noted here a lot already, the CB's were too far off the WR's. The WSU passing game is based on rhythm, timing, so rather than playing off the WR's, the CB's should have been tight, getting in their way. WSU's thrives on yards after catch, and Oregon's coverage in the first half facilitated exactly that.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Merganzer wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:The refs allowed physical play in the secondary for both teams. WSU took advantage of it , Oregon refused to do so until the 2nd half when they realized that it works against timing based passing. I don't know to much about defenses but it looked like Oregon's starting plan was to rush minimally and drop as many into zone as possible.
In theory that seems to be the correct strategy against WSU, but it was executed poorly. Mainly because, as has been noted here a lot already, the CB's were too far off the WR's. The WSU passing game is based on rhythm, timing, so rather than playing off the WR's, the CB's should have been tight, getting in their way. WSU's thrives on yards after catch, and Oregon's coverage in the first half facilitated exactly that.
That's the part I don't understand. Cristobal want's to change the culture of Oregon and make it more of a physical team. He's doing this well on offense but on defense it's a hollow message outside of maybe 3 players. Jelks and Hollins seem to be wasted dropping back into zones on passing downs instead of letting them rush the passer and most times when they are on the line rushing it's a 3 man rush . Outside of the play of Scott, and Dye physicality on the defensive side of the ball seems to be missing.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

They did seem to rush 5 on some of the third downs I watched (only caught the first half.. yeah) - WSU's o-line easily blocked and gave Minshew the the time he needed to convert.
Jesseisabeast
One Star Recruit

Post by Jesseisabeast »

One other observation....Dye and a few others were so blatantly awful at tipping their hand when they did blitz that it allowed the Coogs to call it out well ahead of the snap
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

It was a terrible gameplan in the first half...

And the players didn't execute
Jesseisabeast wrote:One other observation....Dye and a few others were so blatantly awful at tipping their hand when they did blitz that it allowed the Coogs to call it out well ahead of the snap
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Why do the Duck DBs not do a bump and cover at the line of scrimmage? WSU was all about timing. Why not disrupt that timing with a bump within 5 yards? I am so confused by the 12 yard cushion on a quick throw/ slant team.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Going to defend the D some, we have to remember this is only the second year for Leavitts recruits and the first for Cristobal's. Most of these players are left overs from Helf, DP and Holk, our D is not there yet but a hell of a lot better then a few years ago under DP and Holk...... we'll get there as long as Leavitt sticks around.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

Alan wrote:Going to defend the D some, we have to remember this is only the second year for Leavitts recruits and the first for Cristobal's. Most of these players are left overs from Helf, DP and Holk, our D is not there yet but a hell of a lot better then a few years ago under DP and Holk...... we'll get there as long as Leavitt sticks around.
I think a lot of us were expecting better based on his second year at Colorado.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

dphi wrote:
Alan wrote:Going to defend the D some, we have to remember this is only the second year for Leavitts recruits and the first for Cristobal's. Most of these players are left overs from Helf, DP and Holk, our D is not there yet but a hell of a lot better then a few years ago under DP and Holk...... we'll get there as long as Leavitt sticks around.
I think a lot of us were expecting better based on his second year at Colorado.
Probably so, but that DP and Hoke era was very toxic it may be hanging with some of the players who experienced it..... simply guessing about that.
Jesseisabeast
One Star Recruit

Post by Jesseisabeast »

I think Leavitt is amazing....at Colorado he never had these kind of circled intense Gameday setups. Most years in our glory run we were scoring 50 and any stops put the other team behind the 8 ball. We got 2 turnovers and made adjustments like good coaches do...we still have huge holes where better talent and better execution are needed