What do you do after a loss?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

What do you do after a loss?

Post by FlDuckFan »

Does anyone else nope out of football for the rest of the weekend after a ducks loss?

I couldn't bring myself to watch the UCLA game last night when usually I'm up all night watching the last game of the day.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: What do you do after a loss?

Post by buckmarkduck »

Yep, took the kids this morning to the pumpkin patch and hit up the corn maze.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Well, it was a rough tossing & turning night. Than I started the morning watching Marcus & the Titans lose in excruciating fashion. But, Purdue beating tOSU worse than the Cougars beat the Ducks helps, and I am optimistic about the rest of the season.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Move on to next game.
Took daughter to hospital just
After game was over so that distracted me
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Honestly, as much as I love my Ducks, I can't allow myself to get so emotionally vested anymore. It got to where I'd feel physically sick, and sometimes depressed after a loss. I'd stand in front of the TV during the game, swaying back and forth, crossing fingers, toes, arms, legs, lol.

This season I sit next to the TV and get on my laptop. I'll watch the game from the corner of my eye (unless the Ducks have the ball, need a score, make a big play, etc.)

My Dad used to be a big OU Sooner fan, but he had to mellow in his later years, too. It was starting to hurt him so he had to back off.

I saw something on TV a couple years ago on this subject. About how the emotional highs and lows of a season can affect fans. It can be potentially unhealthy, actually, if you're not careful.
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I always remember the Dalai Lama saying that "All my suffering stems from my attachments."

This loss didn't feel that bad to me as I seemed pretty ready to just move on to next week.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

Duck07 wrote: This loss didn't feel that bad to me as I seemed pretty ready to just move on to next week.
Same. After the beatings by UW and Utah in Helf's last couple of years, I'm pretty numb to losses like last night's.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Maybe it's much different expectations than 07-14 but I'm able to handle losses much better now than I did back then. I would be absolutely devastated and feel sick like super duck alluded to.

I try my best to just enjoy the really good times like last week and just move forward and not look back at all when we lose.

Sure we could be 7-0 but 5-2 is not bad and let's just win next week and move on from there.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

I tend to be a little more pessimistic, meaning if we get down big early (like yesterday vs WSU), I like to mentally prepare myself for a loss, saying "It's over", etc. Prepping for a loss helps when the actual loss comes.

It helped last night that I had tickets to the Blazers game and they were able to take care of business.

I would say that as I've gotten older, I try to do a better job of not letting a loss impact my day as much as it used to. Obviously, the better the Ducks are the higher the stakes are. When we lost in 2016 or 17 it was not big deal because nothing was on the line, in comparison to 01, 12, 14, etc. One thing that is a huge bummer is I enjoy college football so much and love watching all of the games. However, after a loss, I can't watch other games as it only reminds me of a Ducks defeat.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

DmoneyDuck wrote: after a loss, I can't watch other games as it only reminds me of a Ducks defeat.
This is what happens to me. I'm fine going about my day I just don't find football interesting after a defeat.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

duckfan22 wrote:Move on to next game.
Took daughter to hospital just
After game was over so that distracted me
Hope she's all right... Some things are more important than wins and losses.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

I do believe some of the losses will help more than the wins to build this team to be mentally stronger next year and coaches to plan and develop better strategies and adjustments. Even if we had won out and made the playoffs, we're not a good enough team this year to beat two top 5 teams in a row. We will have a tougher schedule next year, but if Herbert comes back, I feel we will have a stronger team and a better chance to win it all if we make it to the playoffs.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Maybe it's much different expectations than 07-14 but I'm able to handle losses much better now than I did back then. I would be absolutely devastated and feel sick like super duck alluded to.

I try my best to just enjoy the really good times like last week and just move forward and not look back at all when we lose.

Sure we could be 7-0 but 5-2 is not bad and let's just win next week and move on from there.
That’s me to a T. When Oregon was prohibitive favorites in pretty much every game, the losses felt cataclysmic, as though a piece of me died with every loss. The stakes during that time frame were also much higher as we were always in the Top 5, in contention for a major bowl game, if not national title/playoff berth and normally a player in the Heisman race.

It also coincides with having kids so priorities have changed. The Stanford loss was as close as I’ve felt to pre-kids because they absolutely blew that game. Wazzu game, they deserved it. I was happy to see them fight back in the second half but Wazzu was the better team on Saturday. Oregon is on their third coach in three years. These sorts of things are expected. I still think the Ducks are in a great position for the rest of the season and in the future and that makes these things a little more tenable. It doesn’t make it any less frustrating but such is life. I then remind myself that Saban lost to UL-Monroe his first year at Bama.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Depends on the season.

This year, I feel like we're playing with house money. We have a great QB and some excellent pieces, but also tons of youth and not enough skill at some vital skill positions. It's a new head coach and a new system. Even losing to WSU, this year's team is still exceeding expectations. It's hard to look at our body of work and actually be disappointed.

With that in mind, I'm not bothered by the losses. It especially helps that we beat Washington. 8-) It felt so efffing good beating the Huskies that, for me, nothing about this season could possibly be better. That was the mountaintop. I'm good.

After Saturday's loss, I flipped over to the Blazer game and cheered on their win. I moved on pretty quickly.

Now... NEXT season, if Herbert comes back and we get this big influx of talent we expect from this upcoming recruiting class... then it might be a little more difficult to move on from a loss like Saturday's. Even then, though, I don't beat myself up over losses. I let myself go during games, but when it's over, then it's time to move on.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

pezsez1 wrote: After Saturday's loss, I flipped over to the Blazer game and cheered on their win. I moved on pretty quickly.
Yeah, that's a pretty good way to change your mood. Though there were weekends last year where the Ducks would lose, then the Blazers would lose, and then my fantasy team lost. Those were some grumpy Mondays.