Time to be real about the defense

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Time to be real about the defense

Post by GrantDuck »

Here's the #'s nationally:

Yards per play allowed: 72nd (1 spot behind ucla)
Points Per Game allowed: 69th
Takeaways: 9th
Opponents Yards per pass attempt: 89th

It's safe to say we're a bad defense this season, bottom 1/3 of the ncaa. Takeaways the only thing keeping us in games on that end. The pass defense(which isn't all the secondary, it's linebackers and lack of pass rush at times too).

I think Leavitt had a really bad first half last weekend, but I do think the scheme is sound. Some of that IS coaching/development and some is recruiting. Next year will be very telling on this side of the ball. We lose Jelks/Hollins/Apelu, but everyone else I expect will return.

edit: also lose ugo
Last edited by GrantDuck on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenblood
Senior

Re: Time to be real about the defense

Post by Greenblood »

We also lose Amadi.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

While their LB and S depth is better this season than last year, Oregon just doesn't have the kind of depth at CB and DL to defend opposing WRs for long or get a decent pass rush. I do think the stats will get better as they start facing some of the lower-level teams in the Pac-12. In their first 4 conference games, their opponents have a combined record of 11-6; in their final 5 games, their opponents have a combined record of 6-14.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:While their LB and S depth is better this season than last year, Oregon just doesn't have the kind of depth at CB and DL to defend opposing WRs for long or get a decent pass rush. I do think the stats will get better as they start facing some of the lower-level teams in the Pac-12. In their first 4 conference games, their opponents have a combined record of 11-6; in their final 5 games, their opponents have a combined record of 6-14.
This^

We are the only team to hold Washington State to 400 yards or less this season. (Wyoming actually also held them to 394, but first game of the year)

I think our D is fine. We had so many missed tackles in the first half, it was a joke.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Oregon couldn't put together a drive to save their life in the first half. Defense could have honestly done worse.