Something to remember

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Something to remember

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Due to sanctions and coaching departures, we only have 74 scholarship players this year. We have about thirteen guys down with injuries right now which means we are playing with 64 guys. We lack depth and I think talent overall. I think there’s still room to grow and some optimism moving forward.
Last edited by lukeyrid13 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Re: Something to remember

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Injuries:
Sewell
Warmack
Steven Jones
Hines
McCormick
Kano Dillon off and on
Verdell
Habibi likio
Adrian Jackson
Apelu
ISM
Sampson niu
Darrian Felix
Andrew Johnson

Any others?
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Point taken on the sanctions, but everyone is dealing with injuries this time of year. Utah lost its QB and RB heading into today's game. And I'll bet you every fanbase thinks the injury bug bites them hardest. Unless you lose an absolute linchpin in your team (like Vernon Adams a few years back) then I think it's a pretty weak excuse.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

You bring up really good points, the injuries are extra devastating to an already thin team. Sure some players like Herbert could be playing better, but it’s gotta be demoralizing to be so thin. Next year will be far more telling about this team/coaching staff. Thanks for posing this and reminding us that this is a growing process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Tray Dub wrote:Point taken on the sanctions, but everyone is dealing with injuries this time of year. Utah lost its QB and RB heading into today's game. And I'll bet you every fanbase thinks the injury bug bites them hardest. Unless you lose an absolute linchpin in your team (like Vernon Adams a few years back) then I think it's a pretty weak excuse.
I’m not trying to make excuses. We got outplayed and outcoached....arguably for the 4th game in a row now. I’m trying to make myself be optimistic moving forward.

Realistically, I don’t think any of our units would rate in the top half of the conference outside of QB. O-line if fully healthy maybe but I think they’ve been very overrated for the most part. We can and should be much better in the next few seasons.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

It's an inexperienced team with a lot of dead wood

There are key injuries

Still could ha e easily won this fame with some effort
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

You score 15 points in the last 3 road games in first half are going to lose 99% of the games. I don't know the statistics but I would bet if score an average of less than 1 touchdown in the first half odds are going to lose majority of the game. They are not getting it done plain and simple. Mark Helfrich was real good at coach speak and no solutions. If Cristobal thinks the fate for him be any different then he better get the road woes figured out. People will grow real tired of the team not showing up for games on the road real quick. As mentioned before injuries are part of the game. Arroyo needs to be gone after the season.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Injuries:
Sewell
Warmack
Steven Jones
Hines
McCormick
Kano Dillon off and on
Verdell
Habibi likio
Adrian Jackson
Apelu
ISM
Sampson niu
Darrian Felix
Andrew Johnson

Any others?
Yikes. That's one heck of an injury list for a team already so young and thin at certain positions. I'm really getting worried at LB since it seems there's really only enough scholarship guys to cover the starters and the remaining healthy ones are walk-ons.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

It's a good point, but there's no excuse for how we played against Arizona or the first half today.

No excuse for Arroyo in particular. He's an awful oc. An experienced QB and you have 4 freakin' yards in the 1st quarter. Bad coaching can make great players look mediocre and it's exactly what he's done to Herbert for stretches this season.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Injuries:
Sewell
Warmack
Steven Jones
Hines
McCormick
Kano Dillon off and on
Verdell
Habibi likio
Adrian Jackson
Apelu
ISM
Sampson niu
Darrian Felix
Andrew Johnson

Any others?
I'm getting to the point I don't even want to open this page anymore during this season, so many negative comments without looking at the big picture. Thanks for listing the injured, I had no idea it was this big. Also, as has been pointed out a few times by other members, we have a young, inexperienced team, new HC, three HC's in three years, new coaching staff, the staff has not had time to recruit and develop THEIR players, Herbert is a very good QB but he is showing his inexperience, scholarship reductions, lack of depth. These are all part of rebuilding after a three year coaching carousel. As just pointed out most of us said 8 or 9 wins would be considered a good season, we have a decent shot at 8. ASU at home and we play well at home! The Beavs are just bad...... period! we will get past them! We are already going to a bowl game so the young guys get the extra practice game and we fans get a extra game! The sky is not falling, I for one am a little excited about the next couple of years with Cristobal at the helm, he may need to make a couple of coaching changes but that goes with college football....... meaning the one area I agree is the pistol does not work. Just a rant because I could hardly get myself to read a post the last coupl e of weeks because of all the "Debbie downers!" Lol. It's not that bad of a season

I will add after the first half of the Stanford game I think a bunch of you thought to glory days of Chip and Marcus were back and now think the season is a disaster ....... it's not, it's a young injured team rebuilding.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I’m with Alan. That was an exciting and competitive college football game. We came back and made it a compelling game to the last spike. Truth is, we’re not a great team. Our current roster is good but not great. I believe that Mario is the guy who can make improvements along the way and raise the bar.

Funny how the Michigan fans were calling for Harbaugh’s head after a few average seasons and opening season loss, now they’re throwing Roses at his feet.

My take; If you want better football, watch the NFL.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Quickly scanning the results for first year head coaches I see each team has only one Pac-12 road win. Arizona over Oregon State, ASU over USC, UCLA and Oregon beat Cal in Berkeley and OSU topped Colorado. Any others?
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

The only thing to remember is that we lost to a backup QB and RB with a top 5 NFL draft pick at QB. Stop trying to sugarcoat this. Another putrid first half performance by the offense.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I think it's a combination of all the above, plus, with the exception of WSU, this seems to be another down year for the conference. Yes, we beat UW, but that game could have easily gone the other way. Our other 5 wins are against losing teams. The first 3 games were gimme's.

I think we'll be an average to good team this year and next. After bringing in 2 stellar recruiting classes we should begin to be formidable again. It's simply going to take some time, that's all.

Honestly, I seriously doubt that Taggart would have done any better than the current staff.
John 3:36
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck24 wrote:The only thing to remember is that we lost to a backup QB and RB with a top 5 NFL draft pick at QB. Stop trying to sugarcoat this. Another putrid first half performance by the offense.
Sorry Debbie, lol