Redbox Bowl: Oregon v Michigan State (Dec. 31, Mon Noon FOX)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Redbox Bowl: Oregon v Michigan State (Dec. 31, Mon Noon

Post by GrantDuck »

Phenom wrote:We did create mismatches. People were getting open. They just kept dropping the ball.
There was one play all game where the WR/TE was wide open that I saw, based on scheme. The play action fake to Breeland for the big play over the middle.

And sure, the drops were bad, but they were bad all season and didn't improve and that's coaching.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

shoparound wrote:I wonder if the people saying there is not a problem with the offense or playcalling were the same that thought the defense had no problems during the Helfrich/Pellum era.
There have been times throughout the year I definitely have questioned the play-calling and the way they decide to attack certain teams. Without writing an essay though I'd bring up the lack of a full roster this year plays into the talent and depth problems we've talked about. Less talented players don't help push talented players bring their best every snap in practice and in games.

We were very inconsistent and we won 9, almost 10 games. When we become a consistent team next year, we're going to win the P12 and see where the cards fall.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Quietduck wrote:I would say that Jeff Maehl was an example that proves my point. Not a great physical player but a great mental player.
He was, but isn't it the coaches' collective job to identify those guys and put them into a position to make plays instead of kids that will drop the ball?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GrantDuck wrote:
Phenom wrote:We did create mismatches. People were getting open. They just kept dropping the ball.
There was one play all game where the WR/TE was wide open that I saw, based on scheme. The play action fake to Breeland for the big play over the middle.

And sure, the drops were bad, but they were bad all season and didn't improve and that's coaching.
I know they don't do a good job of showing the Back 7 and how routes develop, but Herbert was also part of the problem in that he missed reads. On a 3rd and short he threw into double coverage because he expected the DB to drop instead of taking the slot down the seam who was left open because the DB played the sticks and broke it up. Mitchell had a ball down the sideline that hit him in the facemask and another in the end zone that was tough, but a play elite WRs make. Not to mention, he did a bad job of winning the route with his body on a 3rd and short that was broken up and another in the end zone that was almost picked but should have been his 3rd TD if I'm not mistaken because we ended up doing that silly fake fg swinging gate pass.

Give 6 catches and 2 more TDs to Herberts stat line and how do you feel?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GrantDuck wrote:
Quietduck wrote:I would say that Jeff Maehl was an example that proves my point. Not a great physical player but a great mental player.
He was, but isn't it the coaches' collective job to identify those guys and put them into a position to make plays instead of kids that will drop the ball?
We've got 74 scholarship players rather than 85 thanks to past coaching staffs decisions. That's an entire unit that we don't have available. Things are looking up, enjoy the process and don't expect it all to happen over night. After Herbert were going to have DJ U fighting with Cale Millen and Tyler Shough for the starting QB spot. Life is Good right now.
Ducks Decoy
One Star Recruit

Post by Ducks Decoy »

I told a mate yesterday I was confident The Ducks would win their bowl today. He doubted me when I said it but congratulated me for the win just now. Though he did have to throw up it was an ugly game but a wins a win, I told him. :lol:

Considering how, sports wise, this weekend was a disaster; Jon Jones won his title back and The Redskins laid a dud against The Eagles, Oregon coming through was a ray of sunshine.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

That really sucks for Throckmorton. Whats the length of recovery between a break and dislocation?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I guess it depend on how bad the break is (whether surgery is needed or not) or if there was any other damage caused by the dislocation (namely tendons and/or ligaments.) Everything I'm seeing is around 6-12 weeks for simpler forms of the injuries with up to 18 weeks for more severe ones.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/ma ... =401035254

Hey, ol' times: Time of possession? Big deal: Michigan State 37:15 Oregon 22:45
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Did DJ Johnson play or make any plays? Wasn’t he a highly rated edge rusher that was going to play today?
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

I def saw him on one pass rush play, but not sure how many downs he got. With Hollins playing as well as he did, and this being both his and Jelks last game, wasn’t expecting too many reps. Unleash the beast next year!
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

greenyellow wrote:
Gonna miss Ugo. He's been a real one for us. Pour one out for the man.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Tray Dub wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Gonna miss Ugo. He's been a real one for us. Pour one out for the man.
Absolutely agree. Dude has been a baller. Even left for the locker room with 8 mins left, came back with 4. He was the rock of the secondary this year.