Moseley's Season-in-Review series

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Moseley's Season-in-Review series

Post by greenyellow »

Rob Moseley has started his annual season-in-review with his look at the QB position. Interesting note in the review was that they estimated there were around 40-50 drops by Oregon receivers, which is much higher than what was reported at the Redbox Bowl by Fox Sports. That is just way too high for a P5 team.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Re: Moseley's Season-in-Review series

Post by dphi »

Drops are a tough stat. I was reading up on it when trying to find any data on the number of drops we had and it sounds like when most stat trackers do it they just take a sample and extrapolate for the season. So in the NFL they count drops in 4 games or something and multiply by 4. Wish I could find the pages now.

I wish Mosely had mentioned where he got his number from, I hate when people use a stat to make a point but don't source it or explain the methodology.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

dphi wrote:Drops are a tough stat. I was reading up on it when trying to find any data on the number of drops we had and it sounds like when most stat trackers do it they just take a sample and extrapolate for the season. So in the NFL they count drops in 4 games or something and multiply by 4. Wish I could find the pages now.

I wish Mosely had mentioned where he got his number from, I hate when people use a stat to make a point but don't source it or explain the methodology.
Of all reporters, I would venture to guess his data would be most accurate. Being internal to Ducks Football, he likely has access to real game data and not subset calculation based on 4 games data.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

dphi wrote:Drops are a tough stat. I was reading up on it when trying to find any data on the number of drops we had and it sounds like when most stat trackers do it they just take a sample and extrapolate for the season. So in the NFL they count drops in 4 games or something and multiply by 4. Wish I could find the pages now.

Of all reporters, I would venture to guess his data would be most accurate. Being internal to Ducks Football, he likely has access to real game data and not subset calculation based on 4 games data.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

jimmy12 wrote:

I mean, if he has that data why an estimate of 40-50?
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Good question and one that I don't know. Candidly, I am guessing too but would think he's looking at official stats and Football staff stats.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

In all likelihood, either a grad assistant to the WR coach or the WR coach himself will track the drops by his guys. This is part of 'grading' after each game. They probably don't have any kind of central repository for obscure stats, but rather keep a tally or spreadsheet themselves. It's possibly Moseley had a conversation with Johnson or Arroyo and they estimated to him that there were "40 to 50 drops" and that's what he used for his piece.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Today it's the RBs:
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Man having a strong running game really changes the game. Definitely something we lacked this year.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Today it's the WR/TE:
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:Today it's the WR/TE:
A more interesting stat would be how many times Mitchell was targeted compared to our past elite receivers, or even elite receivers around the country.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Today it's the OL:
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Today it's the DL. Based on the depth chart for next season having 5 SRs, I can see why the Oregon coaches are trying to add DL in 2019 so they won't be inexperienced in 2020.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Today it's the LBs: