2019 Duck D Expectations

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

2019 Duck D Expectations

Post by Greenblood »

I'm creating this thread because I'm figuring I need to be informed to some degree about next season's defense. I have read a number of statements, both on this board and even in the media, that next year's Duck D should be really good. But I'm having real trouble seeing that, as much as I obviously hope it ends up being true.

We lose three of our best players on D: Jelks, Hollins and Amadi. We're solid with Scott and Faoliu on the DL, and Carlberg definitely showed some things, but largely unproven after that. AT LBs, if Dye returns and with Winston, Simms, Slade-Matautia, Niu and Jackson all back, I think we have the potential to be a pretty good unit there. In the secondary, our starting corners are solid, but there doesn't appear to be a lot after that. We obviously have a good field safety in Holland returning, but not sure we have a whole lot elsewhere in the field or boundary safety positions. Yes, we do have some exciting frosh players coming in for the D, particularly KT of course, but, well, they're freshmen, and I'm figuring that the bulk of them won't show up until preseason camp anyway, which -- with notable exceptions -- usually doesn't allow for their having significant impact for much of the season. Add to that the (to me) surprising reality that this past season's D seemed to regress, and I'm just not convinced.

So feel free to lecture and walk me through why the 2019 Duck D should be really good so I can be as excited as so many seem to be about that unit.

(I'm thinking this piece from O-Live's Crepea will be helpful in looking at the depth chart: https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/0 ... -2019.html)
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: 2019 Duck D Expectations

Post by StevensTechU »

I think Khalef is going to be a really solid corner. In games I watched, he was in the right spot on so many plays but just failed to make a play on the ball. Even though he was allowing the catch, being in the right spot puts him above most true freshman corners we've seen over the years (or older corners, too).
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Hollins was the biggest loss. Guy was an animal who did a bit of everything. Ugo and Jelks were also above average Pac-12 players at their positions.

We also do lose Apelu, who wasn't always good, but you can't argue with his heart and his play in the Redbox Bowl.

DL: We were lucky to get through this season with what little depth we had. Hoping we can still land a D-Tackle that can play right away here. I think Austin Faoliu could really become a force with a full year of being healthy next season. Baker/Carlberg had some decent moments too. Cumberlander also became a real contributor late and I expect him to play starter's reps next season. I also think Andrew Faoilu will start to contribute next season. Not sure if Kava, Popo will be able to help.

Additionally, we're adding the obvious in Kayvon here and he will be a 3rd down problem from day 1. I think we'll be better at this position in 2019 overall, especially stopping the run. Curious to see if Keyon plays a lot or does the 4 game/RS thing in year 1.

LB: Can be the quality of Kiko/Clay; Paysinger/Matthews/Lokombo/Littlejohn if Troy Dye comes back. If not...a lot of unknown 4* kids better learn quick.

DB: Lenoir and Holland are going to be elite players for us. If Graham can continue to grow, that will also help. We will have to figure out the nickel spot. Wright should play as a freshman. Pickett has room to grow in the passing game, but he's a smart kid, plays solid, clearly loves to hit. Curious where Stephens fits long term. Agree with others that I liked what I saw from Kahlef this year. I could see Wright starting by midseason and Graham playing slot. Regardless, I think if we figure out the slot corner situation, our secondary could be something special next season.

Summary: If Dye comes back I think all 3 units will be better and we will be top 3 in the Pac-12 both in the secondary and at linebacker. Defensive line will be solid, but not yet spectacular as I think we need 1-2 more years of recruiting at that spot like we had this season to get the depth that is needed for a high level college DL(see Clemson/Bama/LSU,etc).
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

That's helpful, Grant, thanks.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Also thought it was interesting that Jonah T (our stud OL commit) said that he thought the best player in the class was Mykael Wright and that it was "easy" to say that.

He's gone against Kayvon at camps and probably some of the other boys in High School/Camps, so was just interesting to hear him say that. If you guys are bored in the offseason at some point, Wright's youtube/hudl stuff is pretty sweet.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

GrantDuck wrote:Hollins was the biggest loss. Guy was an animal who did a bit of everything. Ugo and Jelks were also above average Pac-12 players at their positions.

Additionally, we're adding the obvious in Kayvon here and he will be a 3rd down problem from day 1. I think we'll be better at this position in 2019 overall, especially stopping the run. Curious to see if Keyon plays a lot or does the 4 game/RS thing in year 1.

There's no way Keyvon sits a game...
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

#1 Kayvon is going to slide right into the Jalen Jelks/DeFo/Tony Washington role right away, I don't see much drop off there
#2 Ugo is a big loss, but Jevon Holland looks more than ready
#3 Justin Hollins was solid, but relatively easy to replace, I think Adrian Jackson replaces him fine, we'll have plenty of LB depth, especially with Troy coming back.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

chapelhillduck wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Hollins was the biggest loss. Guy was an animal who did a bit of everything. Ugo and Jelks were also above average Pac-12 players at their positions.

There's no way Keyvon sits a game...

Was talking about Keyon in that 2nd sentence, not Kayvon. Keyon Ware-Hudson from Mater Dei. The only time Kayvon would be wearing a red shirt is if he's drafted by an NFL team that wears red.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

D will be good. Maybe very good.

I'm worried about the offense. Could be total garbage if a couple receivers don't step up
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Duckenstein wrote:D will be good. Maybe very good.

I'm worried about the offense. Could be total garbage if a couple receivers don't step up
Yup. Even if they can get someone (Dollars) to be the defacto #2 in the slot behind Redd (not sure who else made a difference this year behind him, Hines was worthless). Mosely didn’t necessarily speak glowingly through they year of the frost that came in, hopefully some of the new kids kick *ss, and can be difference makers immediately. Excited to see if Addison steps up with his size. But the D should be strong.
Bighonkingduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Bighonkingduck »

Which Hines!