Report: DC Jim Leavitt not with Oregon anymore

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Report: DC Jim Leavitt not with Oregon anymore

Post by greenyellow »

Leavitt was always a short-term solution for the DC position and rumors of his disgruntledness have persisted for much of the season so I guess it's better to not have that continue. It hurts to lose a talented coach leading into a season with high expectations but it may be better to find out now whether Heyward or Salave'a are ready to lead the defense.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I wonder if he ends up in Denver with Vic Fangio?
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Jim Leavitt 3h3 hours ago: The drive on 84 east is so beautiful! So appreciative of all Oregon fans. You are so special! Definitely changed my life in a big way! As a denver fan I wouldn't mind Leavitt, I'm not sure if they hired a dc and linebackers coach. I think they did hire a dc, but maybe not linebackers coach.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

thomas time wrote:Jim Leavitt 3h3 hours ago: The drive on 84 east is so beautiful! So appreciative of all Oregon fans. You are so special! Definitely changed my life in a big way! As a denver fan I wouldn't mind Leavitt, I'm not sure if they hired a dc and linebackers coach. I think they did hire a dc, but maybe not linebackers coach.
Vic Fangio is likely to hold the DC duties since that's his background so he may hire a DC, but Fangio will likely call the plays. When he was the DC in SF, Leavitt was coaching LBs
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:Leavitt was always a short-term solution for the DC position and rumors of his disgruntledness have persisted for much of the season so I guess it's better to not have that continue. It hurts to lose a talented coach leading into a season with high expectations but it may be better to find out now whether Heyward or Salave'a are ready to lead the defense.
This. And it's kinda evident from last year that he just wasn't quite in it. I think he was really expecting an offseason head coaching job, so it'd be another season with Leavitt being half-hearted. So long term, might as well move forward with someone who wants to be here.

It's a bummer, because if Leavitt was 100% invested, I think our D this year would be top 40. But oh well, wish him the best. Cool dude, and solid coach.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Yeah, you could tell he checked out. It’s too bad he didn’t view the job as an audition and put forth his best effort but cohesion is necessary. Let’s hope all our coaches reach their potential cause there’s a lot of unknowns on both sides play calling now.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

So if Oregon does not hire from within, then who is Oregon looking at. We need to have a home run hire which I think this time of year would make it very difficult to get. The defense absolutely must keep improving. I have a hard time believing that Oregon will get a top notch dc from outside the program to come given the time of year this has happened.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:So if Oregon does not hire from within, then who is Oregon looking at. We need to have a home run hire which I think this time of year would make it very difficult to get. The defense absolutely must keep improving. I have a hard time believing that Oregon will get a top notch dc from outside the program to come given the time of year this has happened.
I wouldn't expect them to seriously consider someone from the outside. I think they're just going through the motions right now. Hayward will be the DC when all is said and done.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

droop10 wrote:
GoDucksIn09 wrote:So if Oregon does not hire from within, then who is Oregon looking at. We need to have a home run hire which I think this time of year would make it very difficult to get. The defense absolutely must keep improving. I have a hard time believing that Oregon will get a top notch dc from outside the program to come given the time of year this has happened.
I wouldn't expect them to seriously consider someone from the outside. I think they're just going through the motions right now. Hayward will be the DC when all is said and done.
With what we know, it seems the national search is more for a new ILB coach than a DC.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

If Hayward is the guy I really hope they don't pay him like an established DC. I'd rather see a modest bump in pay with promises of renegotiation as he proves himself. When promoting an internal candidate you have zero competition.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

The coaching carousel has pretty much stopped, so there aren’t any unemployed DC’s worth getting excited about. I’m fine with Heyward glad he has both Spring and Fall camp to get acclimated.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:If Hayward is the guy I really hope they don't pay him like an established DC. I'd rather see a modest bump in pay with promises of renegotiation as he proves himself. When promoting an internal candidate you have zero competition.
Heyward is already making more than any G-5 coordinator, and about as much as Leavitt got at Colorado. If I had to make a guess he'll be somewhere around $700-800k. That's still cheap compared to what premier DCs get.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Hoagduck wrote:The coaching carousel has pretty much stopped, so there aren’t any unemployed DC’s worth getting excited about. I’m fine with Heyward glad he has both Spring and Fall camp to get acclimated.
I’d rather poach an employed DC. With $1 million we could poach any of 98% of the current DCs.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

desertfan wrote:I can live with Leavitt leaving at this point, there's been enough smoke on that fire that I've been bracing for this reality for awhile now....

But to replace him with an unproven position coach with zero DC experience is a massive fucking mistake. I really hope I'm wrong but this feels like Pellum all over again...
Isn’t that how we got Mario though? Although he had head coaching experience he hadn’t had great success in his previous stint. Also Heyward was co-defensive coordinator of our defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk