New DC - Boise State’s Andy Avalos

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: New DC - Boise State’s Andy Avalos

Post by buckmarkduck »

ducks5ever wrote:I have no opinion but I do think he has potential. He does a good job when he has ok guys playing ok competition. Bigger question is what kind of a schemer is here? 4-3, 3-4? I saw 4-2-5 elsewhere....

The defense will be good if we go with a 3-4 again but a 4 man front and we could have growing pains due to lack of depth? I think this is the most important part about this change....

He ran a hybrid 4-3. I'd guess that's what he runs here, which isnt a whole lot different than the 3-4 we ran last year. We ran a lot of 4-3 stuff as well. Our personal just isn8suited to a 3-4 exclusive D. Kayvon is a much better option as a 4-3 DE, as is Johnson.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:I have no opinion but I do think he has potential. He does a good job when he has ok guys playing ok competition. Bigger question is what kind of a schemer is here? 4-3, 3-4? I saw 4-2-5 elsewhere....

The defense will be good if we go with a 3-4 again but a 4 man front and we could have growing pains due to lack of depth? I think this is the most important part about this change....

He ran a hybrid 4-3. I'd guess that's what he runs here, which isnt a whole lot different than the 3-4 we ran last year. We ran a lot of 4-3 stuff as well. Our personal just isn8suited to a 3-4 exclusive D. Kayvon is a much better option as a 4-3 DE, as is Johnson.

That's good to hear, I like the hire! From what I have read he is a recruiting maniac, you and full of drive and energy, just right up Cristobal's alley. He was the DC and a LB coach at BS, I hope he at least tries Dye on the outside some. Good hire!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I agree, Kayvon is definitely suited for a 4-3 but we don't have the depth or quality of DTs to run that exclusively currently.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

I actually think our DT depth is as good as it has been in years
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

We have guys but I wouldn’t say they’re quality, at least as of yet.

Carlberg, Baker, Ware-Hudson, dorlus, poti, etc but behind Scott, who’s our second best DT ?
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

You are missing a lot! Faulu, popo, williams. Williams and popi are new or injured but the depth is much better. (Especially if you
Consider what i have read will be less reliance on NT)
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:We have guys but I wouldn’t say they’re quality, at least as of yet.

Carlberg, Baker, Ware-Hudson, dorlus, poti, etc but behind Scott, who’s our second best DT ?
We have a lot of solid 4-3 DT, only 1 true 3-4 NT. I've hear even before this hire, we would be going to a lot more 4-3 due to our current roster. Missing out on guys like Ika make it tough to run a exclusive 3-4 D.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Echoing lukeyrid13... there's just a lot of unproven depth behind Scott. Some of those guys you mentioned really play outside and not NT/DT spot?

Also would someone mind educating me on the '4'/end/edge player? Does that guy just rush the edge and maybe cover RB's/TE's? I always felt that the 4/edge/end is too slow to cover and not big enough to get pressure? I think it was Kenny Rowe who was supposed to cover the auburn rb and gave up an easy TD in 2011. It's that kind of stuff that makes the edge player weak?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I'm actually a little surprised they hired someone other than Heyward as the DC. Bet it caught a bunch of others off guard as well.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The contract details for Avalos have been released and he'll be about $1 million cheaper than Leavitt. I imagine some of that savings will be distributed to other coaches/staff members. Edit: Oregon Football has also made the official announcement of his hiring. Also in the announcement was Cristobal giving Heyward an the additional title of assistant HC.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

I like how the budget for assistant coaches was increased in order to hire Leavitt, yet somehow it's now the new budget used to vastly increase the wages of other assistants whom probably don't actually deserve huge raises given the limited years of service and lack of what I would call "great" performance in games so far.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

AshlandDuck wrote:I like how the budget for assistant coaches was increased in order to hire Leavitt, yet somehow it's now the new budget used to vastly increase the wages of other assistants whom probably don't actually deserve huge raises given the limited years of service and lack of what I would call "great" performance in games so far.
I tend to agree. Just because you have the money doesn't mean you spend it.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Is “yet” the right word to transition to your point? And or which would have made more sense. (And what exactly is your point?) is it, that Heyward is paid too much?
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

jimmy12 wrote:Is “yet” the right word to transition to your point? And or which would have made more sense. (And what exactly is your point?) is it, that Heyward is paid too much?

Think of my use of yet as it is defined: "but nevertheless". My point was that the budget for assistants was drastically increased to attract elite assistants, not to reward assistants for one or two years of so-so performance. Great recruiting, mehh results on the field. Yes, I am questioning whether assistants deserve such raises considering past Oregon coaches with FAR more success on the field weren't given them within such a budget. This kind of pay inflation is not good for college athletics, even if possibly it helps Oregon in the long run, because it could. It could also just be a waste of money on top of it being an unjustifiable pay raise IMHO.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

StevensTechU wrote:
AshlandDuck wrote:I like how the budget for assistant coaches was increased in order to hire Leavitt, yet somehow it's now the new budget used to vastly increase the wages of other assistants whom probably don't actually deserve huge raises given the limited years of service and lack of what I would call "great" performance in games so far.
I tend to agree. Just because you have the money doesn't mean you spend it.
The AD needs to start accumulating a war chest for when someone comes after Mario (assuming we still continue on an updward trajectory).