Demetri Burch Transferring

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UofDuck
Senior

Re: Demetri Burch Transferring

Post by UofDuck »

duckduckgoose wrote:
UofDuck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:So I take it you're not a fan of guaranteed 4 year scholarships, eh?
My comment on 4 year scholarship guarantees is totally outside of Sam P’s unique situation. The guarantee is a challenge because it’s based an expectation that the student athlete will give real effort to improve their skill set during their years under scholarship. If a kid becomes disinterested and is barely going thru the motions, or becomes a semi-negative influence to the program, does the school have an obligation to keep paying his way? I’m not talking about a piss poor talent evaluation by the staff where they offer a kid who really doesn’t have what it takes but is giving his all. I know this all can become a slippery slope, but it is a case for no guarantees in my mind.
Didn’t Poutasi and the others almost die from over exertion? How can you question his effort in any way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh boy, I thought my opening sentence clarified I was not talking about Sam, but about the 4 year guarantee in general.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Re: Demetri Burch Transferring

Post by AshlandDuck »

gogreen55 wrote:[
What exactly are you disagreeing with? In a thread talking about what other players may be leaving in order to get down to the scholarship limit, there is no more glaring possibility than Sam Poutasi. Categorizing his situation as bizarre is just pointing out the obvious.

Let me be clear. I am a fan of the Oregon Ducks, not a Sam Poutasi fan. I was a fan of the Ducks long before Sam ever showed up, and I will be a fan of the Ducks long after Sam is gone. That doesn't mean I have any ill will towards Sam. I wish him nothing but the best and hope he has a long, happy, productive life. However, if he isn't contributing in some way to the success of Oregon football, the sooner his long, happy, productive life continues somewhere other than Eugene, the better. Based on everything I have heard and read, he simply isn't cut out for the level of football the Ducks hope to play at. Unless his desire is to continue sucking up scholarship money as his lawsuit against the university moves forward, with little to no possibility of ever contributing to the success of the football program in any meaningfull way, then it would be in the best interest of both parties for him to decide to take his talents elsewhere. Hopefully there is a thread on this message board in the near future on the topic of Sam's departure from the team, followed up by a future thread involving the success he is having at a lower level of football.
It's bizarre, but you went much further than calling it bizarre. Here's a recent clip of Dillon Mitchell, an upperclassman, suggesting that Sam Poutasi is actually someone he appreciated having around.

Go to the :45 second mark. https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/0 ... hoice.html

gogreen55 wrote:I can't imagine anyone involved with the university actually wants this guy around.
Doesn't this kind of statement seem absurd in light of that clip? I was just parsing your thought process that would make you assume everyone else views Poutasi as you do, a worthless liability. I get the sense that you think he is some kind of traitor to the cause and thus is in need of culling. I'm suggesting to you is that most mature people don't think about student athletes this way, especially in light of situations where they are put in positions of danger.