"per source," Mullens a candidate for TAMU AD position

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lmduck

Re: "per source," Mullens a candidate for TAMU AD position

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:900k a year for a guy who let Chip tell him who to hire in the most important job in the athletic dept? A guy who then let Dungy tell him to hire, and then let the football team tell him to hire? We could pay some kid 50k a year to be that careless.
care to elaborate?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

My problem with Mullens. His cash cow is football, and so far he hired Helfrich without interviewing other candidates based in Chips asking him to. He then goes out and hires willy based on Dungy's recommendation, even though Dan Mullens would have taken the job. That's 2 strikes. Mario might be a home run, but again by all accounts he did what the players asked, and didn't do a serious search.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

buckmarkduck wrote:My problem with Mullens. His cash cow is football, and so far he hired Helfrich without interviewing other candidates based in Chips asking him to. He then goes out and hires willy based on Dungy's recommendation, even though Dan Mullens would have taken the job. That's 2 strikes. Mario might be a home run, but again by all accounts he did what the players asked, and didn't do a serious search.
Taggart was a hot prospect of a coach at the time, and if I recall rumors correctly wasn't Mullens nearly a done deal before someone blabbed about it?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think we just chose willie over Mullen’s. Rumors I heard were that mullens wanted out at miss st and reached out to Oregon but interest wasn’t as high on our end.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

When you consider that on average 11% of BCS coaches are fired each year and the average BCS HC tenure is less than 6 years it appears a lot of AD's make mistakes.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

FlDuckFan wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:My problem with Mullens. His cash cow is football, and so far he hired Helfrich without interviewing other candidates based in Chips asking him to. He then goes out and hires willy based on Dungy's recommendation, even though Dan Mullens would have taken the job. That's 2 strikes. Mario might be a home run, but again by all accounts he did what the players asked, and didn't do a serious search.
Taggart was a hot prospect of a coach at the time, and if I recall rumors correctly wasn't Mullens nearly a done deal before someone blabbed about it?
'someone' did 'blab' it out and once Miss St found out they said no to Dan Mullens leaving. In the interim the dominoes started following and things became more complex. The person who spoke about the Dan Mullens hire is no longer at UO if that tells you anything. I'll let you figure out who that was.

It was not as simple as you describe above. Mario was recommended by many people in the profession and just to give you some context Rob Mullens had begun 'looking' in October of that year as many in the industry were sure Jimbo was out at FSU and the minute that job opened he (Rob Mullens) knew Willy would jump on that if offered. So the net here is that Rob Mullens began interviewing and talking to people well before Willy left. Obviously he could not formally offer anything till all the Willy stuff was said and done BUT don't fool yourself into thinking R Mullens did not have his feelers out to other coaches. There were several others who were interviewed for the job. Most of them were not made public. There was also a former coach involved in the interview process so to imply Rob just hired Mario with little diligence is very inaccurate.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

lmduck wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
'someone' did 'blab' it out and once Miss St found out they said no to Dan Mullens leaving. In the interim the dominoes started following and things became more complex. The person who spoke about the Dan Mullens hire is no longer at UO if that tells you anything. I'll let you figure out who that was.

It was not as simple as you describe above. Mario was recommended by many people in the profession and just to give you some context Rob Mullens had begun 'looking' in October of that year as many in the industry were sure Jimbo was out at FSU and the minute that job opened he (Rob Mullens) knew Willy would jump on that if offered. So the net here is that Rob Mullens began interviewing and talking to people well before Willy left. Obviously he could not formally offer anything till all the Willy stuff was said and done BUT don't fool yourself into thinking R Mullens did not have his feelers out to other coaches. There were several others who were interviewed for the job. Most of them were not made public. There was also a former coach involved in the interview process so to imply Rob just hired Mario with little diligence is very inaccurate.
Dang, I have to say this seems like it has legs judging by an unceremonious exit from someone.

If so, Mullen would have been a home run hire. He's one of the better coaches in CFB, is recruiting very well for Florida, and did so at Miss St.

I like to think we weren't blindsided by Jimmy Sexton and his scheming for Fisher/Taggart. The Cristobal hire was looked at by most of the football world as a panic to save face, keep a recruiting class, and satisfy the players.

I'm assuming Bellotti was the coach who was involved in the process. Curious as to who else was interviewed, or if Leavitt was. Justin Wilcox? Kevin Sumlin? Bryan Harsin? Matt Campbell?
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »