#16 Auburn vs #11 Oregon (Aug. 31, Sat 4:30 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Auburn vs Oregon (Aug. 31, Sat 4:30 PM ABC)

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Yeah auburn has a very stout d line so it’s going to be hard to get long sustained drives.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

SuperDuck wrote: I think we'll see a lot of short passes to the RB, TE and WR.

Though it would seem odd, I think Auburn will try to shut down the run and force Herbert, with his inexperienced and unproven WRs, to throw the ball. You can be certain that they're watching a lot of film from our Bowl win over Michigan State. The only guy that scored a TD in that game, Dillon Mitchell, is gone. We need Juwan Johnson to lead by example and hold onto the ball.

On the other side of the ball, our defense needs to slow their running game and make their new QB throw the ball, too. Like us, Auburn has some good RBs. Those guys also have 5 seniors starting on their O-Line, so that will certainly be a challenge for the Duck defense.

It just might turn out to be a slugfest.
That would surprise me, short passes and screens seemed to a missing part of the offense last year.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Yeah, the lack of the screen game and throws to running backs was just brutal last year.

ONe good example, early in the season, we ran a play to Taj Griffin, for a big play, on a screen pass. Next game against Stanford, we run the exact same play and it loses 5 yards. What a GOOD OC does, is he shows that screen, and then runs a fake to that side and actually screens to the WR on the other side.

It can't just be, let's run a screen play, it has to be a whole screen package. Teams, especially Stanford and UW's D, are just too smart for that kind of stuff.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12

Post by FlDuckFan »

That and there was very few guys going over the middle or even quick hitches. Justin locked onto the deep guy (usually DM) and chucked it , he seemed to ignore the progressions and just went for gold as often as possible.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

FlDuckFan wrote:That and there was very few guys going over the middle or even quick hitches. Justin locked onto the deep guy (usually DM) and chucked it , he seemed to ignore the progressions and just went for gold as often as possible.
By the end of the year, Justin had to have lost faith in all of the other WR's though. How many drops did he have to endure before he just stopped looking at the other guys?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

karlhungis wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:That and there was very few guys going over the middle or even quick hitches. Justin locked onto the deep guy (usually DM) and chucked it , he seemed to ignore the progressions and just went for gold as often as possible.
By the end of the year, Justin had to have lost faith in all of the other WR's though. How many drops did he have to endure before he just stopped looking at the other guys?
I think that was a big part of it. The look on Justin’s face when Jaylon Redd dropped what would have been an 80 yard TD against Arizona...
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Just about 4 weeks away...

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Tigerpro2a
High School Drop Out

Post by Tigerpro2a »

Hello Duck fans. I am an Auburn fan here, however, I do like Oregon in the West. I thought with the upcoming game I would come over and have some dialogue with you guys. I am not here to smack talk, LOL, but i can with the best of them if you guys want to JK.
So I know you guys have a stud QB coming, one of the best O-lines in the country, and alot of improvements on the D side. I am curious to know what are your thoughts on Ducks' weaknesses , strengths, etc. I will tell you what I feel about AU.

QB- 2 excellent options but next to zero experience between the 2. Have no idea who is going to win the battle. They are both very gifted young men and either or could be a star. With that said....They are both FR. So with FR come FR mistakes. I am hoping Gus can get the run game going well to give the QBs time to adjust. If Bo or Joey have to put the game on their backs...it could be intereting.

RB- I actually feel we are stacked here. We have all of our RB production coming back. Boobie Whitlow should be much improved. Last year was his first year playing RB. He averaged 5.1 against SEC and ran for 787 yds I think. After that we have Shivers who isnt big but he can take it to the house any play and he plays like Eddie Lacy as far as toughness. Probably top 10 in the country speed wise. Then we have some solid role player in Malik Miller and Harold Joiner, and two Frosh that we are excited about. DJ Williams. Tru Fr RB looked amazing in the spring game. He could make an early impact.

WR- I don't remember a time when Auburn had more talent at the WR position. Seth Williams is coming off a break out FR season. He is 6'3 225 and can go up and get it. Should have a monster year. Anthony Swartz aka Flash ...the fastest player in the country...can take it to the house anytime...and Matthew Hill expected to have a breakout year. Also grad tx Zach Farrar is 6'4 215ish and could be a matchup night mare

O-line- struggled a lot last year. This is one of the question marks. The good news, we return everybody. The question is how much improved are they? The last 4 games of last year they really came on especially in pass pro. I do feel ok about the line. I feel like our QB will be protected well. Just hope the run blocking has improved dramatically.

Def Line- Nasty. Derrick Brown, Nick Coe, and Marlon Davidson all will be early draft picks. We lost 4 starters on D 3 of them were LBs. That is really the only question on DEF. LB> we have Britt, McClain, Wooten and the 5 star phenom Owen Pappoe competing for 2 jobs. Every one of these guys is probably more athletic then any that left last year. But they dont have a ton of experience. Britt and Wooten got alot of reps as 2nd team but no starts. I think they are good enough to be come a strength i just dont know how many games that transition takes.

Secondary- Confidence level ...fairly high...we return all but one starter. I think we have a potential all American in Noah Igbenogone after a very good so season. We have veteran safeties and athletes throughout the secondary and the backups arent bad either.

Special teams- Good...great Aussie Punter, and Carlson kicking...I think he makes a big step from last year.

All in all we have questions at the QB, OL, and LB positions. Strengths will be our defense, our RBS and WRs. We have a ton of playmakers. Just have to get the ball to them.

As for some of you I saw in earlier posts that you mentioned it seems we are over confident. I don't know many Auburn fans that are over confident in this game. Of course there are a few who are naive and think every year is the year, but we definitely have a lot of respect for what you guys are bringing and we know it's going to be a battle. Ok so let's chat folks

Side note- At the 2010 BCS, I met some Oregon fans and I was really impressed with you guys as a fanbase. Very respectful. There was a nice couple that sat next to us and they were great. Many Duck fans congratulated us as they were leaving. Class act guys.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Tigerpro2a wrote:
Side note- At the 2010 BCS, I met some Oregon fans and I was really impressed with you guys as a fanbase. Very respectful. There was a nice couple that sat next to us and they were great. Many Duck fans congratulated us as they were leaving. Class act guys.
It might have been before they went back and watched the replay of Cliff Harris's interception and Cam Newton's fumble. I still have a hard time processing the impact those calls had on the outcome of that game, and urging me to be 'classy' about it just makes the bitterness worse. :lol:

Anyway, welcome to the board, and thanks for the summary of your team. Good stuff. I think for duck fans, we still aren't sure what kind of team we will end up with this year. Last year, the offense often seemed unimaginative and predictable - it always felt like Herbert's talent was underutilized. We basically had one decent wide receiver, and he has since graduated. We had a great recruiting class and a very interesting grad transfer in Juwan Johnson, but freshman receivers so rarely make an impact early in the season, and Johnson was pretty notorious for his dropped passes at Penn State, which was also a huge problem with Oregon receivers last year, given how hard Herbert zings it in there. Hard to know what to expect, especially in the first game of the season. Johnson and Bryan Addison feel like guys to watch for this game. Both tall receivers (6'4'' and 6'5'' respectively), which is a dimension that Herbert hasn't had to work with in the past.

I think a lot of duck fans are cautiously optimistic about the defense. Two years of great recruiting has brought in some really talented young players to go with some of the standout veterans like Troy Dye and Jordon Scott. Kayvon Thibodeaux and D.J. Johnson were two highly-recruited guys who we are hoping will make a big impact this year. Hard to say how they will perform in the first game though. There is also a more talented pool of linebackers than has been the case for a number of years.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

We also have a new D coordinator from Boise State. He is very well regarded, but it’s a new scheme that may take some time for the players to fully digest. I guess my hope is your inexperienced QBs won’t be as quick to recognize our assignment miscues.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Welcome tigerpro!!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

Welcome, Tiger! Great analysis, appreciate you joining and participating with your thoughts. Invite your buddies to visit here as well, always enjoy the conversations between other fanbases.

DYER WAS DOWN!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Welcome Tiger, good breakdown of your team.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12

Post by FlDuckFan »

Welcome! Always fun to have someone come from an upcoming opponent's fan base.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Sports radio is reporting one of Auburns top receivers is out with a hand injury, Schwartz, hurt in practice and scheduled for surgery. Probably Miss Ducks game