#16 Auburn vs #11 Oregon (Aug. 31, Sat 4:30 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan96
Senior

Re: Auburn vs. Oregon, Aug.31 4:30 (ESPN)

Post by duckfan96 »

Oregon will win 22-19
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Thursday, May 23, 14 weeks, 2 days. 100 days to go!
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

Who wins each matchup?

QB: Oregon by a lot
RB: Oregon, by a little. Injuries and lousy OL play made this a mystery for Auburn last year.
OL: Oregon, both sides return all 5 starters, but Oregon's are better.
WR/TE: Both teams lost leaders, loads of unproven talent on both sides makes this a tie.
DL: Auburn. Replacing a starting DT, but this is their best unit by far
LB: Oregon. They're replacing 3 starters, we got Dye
S: Auburn, lots of great experience there.
CB: Oregon. More depth, more high-level experience.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Ar ... 132480258/

3 predictions; they all pick the Ducks.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

To be fair, they all work for a Ducks website.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Hoagduck wrote:Who wins each matchup?

QB: Oregon by a lot
RB: Oregon, by a little. Injuries and lousy OL play made this a mystery for Auburn last year.
OL: Oregon, both sides return all 5 starters, but Oregon's are better.
WR/TE: Both teams lost leaders, loads of unproven talent on both sides makes this a tie.
DL: Auburn. Replacing a starting DT, but this is their best unit by far
LB: Oregon. They're replacing 3 starters, we got Dye
S: Auburn, lots of great experience there.
CB: Oregon. More depth, more high-level experience.
These all look reasonable. I contend though that coaching match-ups are vastly more important unless there is a huge disparity in key positional matchups. What do you have there, and show your work.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

lukeyrid13 wrote:To be fair, they all work for a Ducks website.
Yes; though it is a bit surprising that one of them didn't pick Auburn. My favorite is the 24-14; big time D
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

We are already in June folks.. This game will be here sooner than we think!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Surprised our old Auburn posters haven't popped in yet to talk about the game.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Still not getting the hype on our OL being like top 5 in the nation. 1.4 ypc in the bowl game and Herbie running for his life. Jake Hanson got dominated against Wazzu. Throck coming off a big injury.

Sewell and Shane are awesome, but the rest has a lot to prove.

I think our LBers are really underrated though. Dye/Winston/Slade are going to be the best group we've had since Kiko/clay.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

GrantDuck wrote:Still not getting the hype on our OL being like top 5 in the nation. 1.4 ypc in the bowl game and Herbie running for his life. Jake Hanson got dominated against Wazzu. Throck coming off a big injury.

Sewell and Shane are awesome, but the rest has a lot to prove.

I think our LBers are really underrated though. Dye/Winston/Slade are going to be the best group we've had since Kiko/clay.
Jake Hanson is definitely the weak link on the offensive line. He just isn’t fit for what Cristobal wants to do. In the defense of the OLine though, the Sewell loss was huge as he’s our best and most important lineman. Before he went down the OLine was dominating, they even dominated Stanford.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I finally re-watched a chunk of the brutal Redbox bowl, the OL was better than I thought. The running backs and WR's both had awful days outside of Redd, who was ok.

Verdell had pretty poor day in terms of vision where if he'd made one cut better, he'd have had a big run on multiple occasions. I hope that the RB we have coming in can perform better. Dye, who I love his quick burst, didn't break a single tackle all game.

Justin was also pretty average and ran out of the pocket a few times when he had time.

But yeah, our LBers have a chance to be very, very, good. Lots of 4* kids. Slade is looking like a freakin' DE in the weight room.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GrantDuck wrote:I finally re-watched a chunk of the brutal Redbox bowl, the OL was better than I thought. The running backs and WR's both had awful days outside of Redd, who was ok.

Verdell had pretty poor day in terms of vision where if he'd made one cut better, he'd have had a big run on multiple occasions. I hope that the RB we have coming in can perform better. Dye, who I love his quick burst, didn't break a single tackle all game.

Justin was also pretty average and ran out of the pocket a few times when he had time.

But yeah, our LBers have a chance to be very, very, good. Lots of 4* kids. Slade is looking like a freakin' DE in the weight room.
No surprise there; as everybody could see from day one that Verdell's vision was his biggest drawback. It could be that with the year's experience his vision may improve in that he's open to deviating from a straight line run when he sees a hole open elsewhere.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Merganzer wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:I finally re-watched a chunk of the brutal Redbox bowl, the OL was better than I thought. The running backs and WR's both had awful days outside of Redd, who was ok.

No surprise there; as everybody could see from day one that Verdell's vision was his biggest drawback. It could be that with the year's experience his vision may improve in that he's open to deviating from a straight line run when he sees a hole open elsewhere.
It was also Royce's biggest drawback, but he turned out ok. (Now that he's in the NFL, it's catching up to him)
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

Seen something a few years ago where Oregon uses Virtual Reality as a tool/training exercise in order to improve vision and seeing cutback lanes. So there should be an improvement each year with any back who has issues with vision. I want to say it was Lamike or KB who first used it.