LB Funa: 2 yr LDS mission after freshman season?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Re: LB Funa: 2 yr LDS mission after freshman season?

Post by Alan »

I agree complete, this is not the place to argue religion, so simply my last post on the subject.

What it means to be a Christian. The word Christian was given to the early followers of Geez, and the name has 'stuck' to this day. Being a Christian is not about keeping rules and regulations, performing rituals, or even going to church. It's about a friendship - a friendship with Geez Christ.Jul 31, 2009
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

ncduck wrote:Hamani Stevens waited. People aren’t robots. Not all LDS people have an easy time deciding if they want to go. He may be torn. He may feel that he could win a starting position and just not go on a mission at all.

To speculate that it has to do with USC without knowing his thought process is really cynical, and possibly bordering on paranoia.
No paranoia here man. You picked out one of many scenarios I offered. But his school choice was basically down to SC and UO, and with the Steele S-show, who knows what they are capable of.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

ncduck wrote:Hamani Stevens waited. People aren’t robots. Not all LDS people have an easy time deciding if they want to go. He may be torn. He may feel that he could win a starting position and just not go on a mission at all.

To speculate that it has to do with USC without knowing his thought process is really cynical, and possibly bordering on paranoia.
I'm telling you what this looks like from outside the Mormon church. The dude suddenly a few months after he signs his LOI says he might go on a two-year hiatus after receiving a year of free work from the trainers and a free education and not contributing much to the team, and everyone is supposed to be supportive...it's asking a lot. Go on the mission first. The thing with Funa specifically is that he was always rumored to only be going to Oregon because of his injury. So this just confirms or adds to that rumor. It's pretty reasonable to ask a player to actually commit to the team once he is here. It's not paranoia to point out what bad form that is.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Phalanx wrote:

I'm telling you what this looks like from outside the Mormon church. The dude suddenly a few months after he signs his LOI says he might go on a two-year hiatus after receiving a year of free work from the trainers and a free education and not contributing much to the team, and everyone is supposed to be supportive...it's asking a lot. Go on the mission first. The thing with Funa specifically is that he was always rumored to only be going to Oregon because of his injury. So this just confirms or adds to that rumor. It's pretty reasonable to ask a player to actually commit to the team once he is here. It's not paranoia to point out what bad form that is.
If USC’s plan is to get the kid, after 1 year of bonding with coaches, teammates, etc to leave it all and go to a third-world country for two years with no training & conditioning so he can then in 2022 discreetly transfer to SC and USC doesn’t have to foot the bill for 1 year of injury rehab then that is one HELL of a long con. Congrats to them if they can pull it off.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
Phalanx wrote:

If USC’s plan is to get the kid, after 1 year of bonding with coaches, teammates, etc to leave it all and go to a third-world country for two years with no training & conditioning so he can then in 2022 discreetly transfer to SC and USC doesn’t have to foot the bill for 1 year of injury rehab then that is one HELL of a long con. Congrats to them if they can pull it off.
I'm not sure USC cares either way. If they did, they would have offered and he would likely be there. The stories about Funa from the USC boards were always that the coaches were waiting to see how serious his injury was, and that Funa wanted to go to USC, but took the Oregon offer as a placeholder. So if Funa is still hurt and can't get a committable offer from the Trojans, what is his next logical move? Try to heal at home? No, you go with the backup option, get the nice benefits ot training and education, maybe even while redshirting, and then try USC again when you are all healed up, with the mission thing as a perfect excuse. All I am saying is that it is a totally plausible scenario. Isn't it funny that the mission thing only comes out now that he has signed his LOI and is already enrolled? Why did we not hear about this before signing day, like we did with Isaac Johnson, for instance? Obviously, I don't know all the details, but from this distance, it seems pretty disingenuous.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Phalanx wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:
Phalanx wrote:

I'm not sure USC cares either way. If they did, they would have offered and he would likely be there. The stories about Funa from the USC boards were always that the coaches were waiting to see how serious his injury was, and that Funa wanted to go to USC, but took the Oregon offer as a placeholder. So if Funa is still hurt and can't get a committable offer from the Trojans, what is his next logical move? Try to heal at home? No, you go with the backup option, get the nice benefits ot training and education, maybe even while redshirting, and then try USC again when you are all healed up, with the mission thing as a perfect excuse. All I am saying is that it is a totally plausible scenario. Isn't it funny that the mission thing only comes out now that he has signed his LOI and is already enrolled? Why did we not hear about this before signing day, like we did with Isaac Johnson, for instance? Obviously, I don't know all the details, but from this distance, it seems pretty disingenuous.
I hear you Phalanx. My rebuttal would be, just because this is the first time WE are hearing about it doesn’t mean it wasn’t discussed with our coaches long ago. Also, if the goal is to get to SC, there are much easier ways than taking 2 years away from football and training.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

100% this is USC related. I can speculate on why Funa chose to announce this now...

Also, I know we try to be civil on here, and I'm not a Catholic, but to say Catholic's aren't Christian when they were 99% of Christianity until the schism between Rome and Constantinople is just patently incorrect. Catholics outnumber Orthodox and Protestants, and both are offshoots of Catholicism. I hate to get sidetracked on this, but I've never heard anyone have that opinion.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Why not just transfer if it's a USC thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

chapelhillduck wrote:Why not just transfer if it's a USC thing?

Just transfer to USC? Oh no! This is too much fun! Some here think this conspiracy will take three years to complete, one to heal using Duck doctors, skip the country for two years, then come back on the scene as a Trojan star! Sounds simple! All it takes is two years working for god and you get paid by USC! Wonder if a cyanide tooth is envolved? Lol!
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

GoDucksTroll wrote:100% this is USC related. I can speculate on why Funa chose to announce this now...

Also, I know we try to be civil on here, and I'm not a Catholic, but to say Catholic's aren't Christian when they were 99% of Christianity until the schism between Rome and Constantinople is just patently incorrect. Catholics outnumber Orthodox and Protestants, and both are offshoots of Catholicism. I hate to get sidetracked on this, but I've never heard anyone have that opinion.
It's just a difference in the way the term 'Christian' is defined. For many, it means any philosophy/religion having to do with Geez Christ, as opposed to Krishna, Allah, Buddha, Woden, Stephen Hawking, etc. For others, it means those who hold to a core of orthodoxy as defined in the Bible or church fathers (like the creeds), or those who 'follow Christ' according to that orthodoxy. I agree, when I saw someone saying Catholics aren't Christians, I did a double-take. I think he meant that according to his view, Catholics who believe in the Pope, Mary, praying to Saints, the Eucharist, etc. are not in line with the true faith. Obviously, this has been an argument for centuries, so not going to be settled on a message board. I would add though that neither Catholics nor Protestants view Mormons as Christians. They are on their own program that only tangentially intersects with traditional Christianity.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

chapelhillduck wrote:Why not just transfer if it's a USC thing?

Because there’s a chance Funa (or his parents) decided he wants to be in LA next year, and is laying the groundwork for a waiver.

Maybe it’s all innocent, and he is really wanting to go on his LDS mission, but considering USC has made no secret of wanting him, and everyone all of a sudden wanting to be at USC...

It’s just an odd thing to announce before you even enrolled. And people don’t do odd things like this for no reason.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Phalanx wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:100% this is USC related. I can speculate on why Funa chose to announce this now...

It's just a difference in the way the term 'Christian' is defined. For many, it means any philosophy/religion having to do with Geez Christ, as opposed to Krishna, Allah, Buddha, Woden, Stephen Hawking, etc. For others, it means those who hold to a core of orthodoxy as defined in the Bible or church fathers (like the creeds), or those who 'follow Christ' according to that orthodoxy. I agree, when I saw someone saying Catholics aren't Christians, I did a double-take. I think he meant that according to his view, Catholics who believe in the Pope, Mary, praying to Saints, the Eucharist, etc. are not in line with the true faith. Obviously, this has been an argument for centuries, so not going to be settled on a message board. I would add though that neither Catholics nor Protestants view Mormons as Christians. They are on their own program that only tangentially intersects with traditional Christianity.
So let me get this right, If Catholics, or Mormons, or Protestants, or.... have different opinions of what the Bible says, then nobody can really be call Christian because the other sects say they are wrong in their approach? Do all three believe Geez is the Messiah/Savior etc, Yes. Do all three believe in the Ten Commandments? Yes. Do all three think Christ was resurrected after being crucified? Yes. Do all three believe in the possibility of a better life after death because of Christ? Yes. Do all three teach to follow what Geez taught; to be kind to your neighbors, turn the other cheek, to love one another,... etc, etc, etc. Yes.

Its fine to believe and follow your own faith, but how arrogant and hypocritical that any group can claim they alone hold the high-ground to be able to define what being a Christian is, and what it is not.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

This is getting offtopic, so I created a thread for any of those interested in continuing that conversation:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33156

Back to Funa and his LDS mission...

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13