Colt again! Sad story

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Colt again! Sad story

Post by Alan »

Yes a sad deal and a complexion to match drug use, he needs to figure it out or he will be dead to young. He could have been rocking it in the NFL.

https://www.registerguard.com/news/2019 ... -in-eugene
greenyellow

Re: Colt again! Sad story

Post by greenyellow »

I'm actually surprised he isn't dead yet. Guy just needs to get some help.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

He and Cliff Harris should be the poster children of the 'Don't do Drugs' narrative. What could have been for both of those guys vs where they ended up. Sad.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:I'm actually surprised he isn't dead yet. Guy just needs to get some help.
He’s been offered help multiple times and he’s refused every single attempt. Colt has nobody to blame but himself at this point.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:I'm actually surprised he isn't dead yet. Guy just needs to get some help.
He’s been offered help multiple times and he’s refused every single attempt. Colt has nobody to blame but himself at this point.
And his parents thanks to a f***** up childhood. Impossible to know how he may have turned out differently if he'd grown up with parents who weren't drug addicts.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Nature and Nurture are working against Colt sadly.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Colt is a grown man, this is no longer what I'd call a sad story. Just a man who can't figure it out, and needs to do some serious jail time.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
And his parents thanks to a f***** up childhood. Impossible to know how he may have turned out differently if he'd grown up with parents who weren't drug addicts.
I think he's past the point of blaming his parents, yes his childhood was terrible and his parents were awful, but he's a full grown adult now, can't rely or blame your parents for everything at a certain point in life. That's why we become adults. Colt had opportunities to receive help to overcome drug problems earlier in his life where he'd most likely end up being in the NFL making a lot of money. He, as his own person, chose to decline that help and continue a life of drugs. His parents aren't forcing drugs into his system, he's choosing to do drugs. I know that drug addicts have painful pasts and drugs are an escape from reality, I can't empathize or understand the pain Colt went through with his rough childhood, but what I do know is when we are adults, we have our own choices to make, and Colt has made very poor choices for himself.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
I think he's past the point of blaming his parents, yes his childhood was terrible and his parents were awful, but he's a full grown adult now, can't rely or blame your parents for everything at a certain point in life. That's why we become adults. Colt had opportunities to receive help to overcome drug problems earlier in his life where he'd most likely end up being in the NFL making a lot of money. He, as his own person, chose to decline that help and continue a life of drugs. His parents aren't forcing drugs into his system, he's choosing to do drugs. I know that drug addicts have painful pasts and drugs are an escape from reality, I can't empathize or understand the pain Colt went through with his rough childhood, but what I do know is when we are adults, we have our own choices to make, and Colt has made very poor choices for himself.
The word in your message above says it all about freedom to choose, even as an adult. So is why AA has a 12 step process and so many fight addiction until they are old and near death. It is so much more then "being an adult and the right to make choices".
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

Alan wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
The word in your message above says it all about freedom to choose, even as an adult. So is why AA has a 12 step process and so many fight addiction until they are old and near death. It is so much more then "being an adult and the right to make choices".

Our brains evolved to survive in the wild, not the modern world. Addicts don't process dopamine in the same way that the rest of the population does. Describing addiction as a moral failing just isn't accurate.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Most heroin addicts can't really choose to say No and even fewer of them can get clean and stay that way without the backing of a family support group that can or is willing to pay for all of the associated costs.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I understand the whole "you're an adult now" thing. But childhood trauma doesn't go away, and you deal with it forever. Like I referenced, what if Colt had been born to two Lake Oswego parents who did all the right things for him, would he have turned out the same? If not, then you can surmise that some of the blame lies on his parents, even still.

I just think that should be factored into how we look at these cases. I still think that Colt, having free will, should pay the price for his actions.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

He had gone beyond people feeling sorry for him. Those sores on his face say he is using meth in addition to his pal heroin. He may have had crappy parents but you know what, so what? My wife lived through horror. If I told you her story you might not believe it. She poured herself into healing and worked herself into wellness. She has helped hundreds of other people do the same. Lyerla makes the same choices repeatedly. I hope he makes different ones soon because he will die if he does not.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I think the biggest thing to know about Lyerla is that the UofO really tried to help him, even after he left the program. There were people who wanted to help him, yet he refused every time. That to me says more about his foolish decision making than his current addictions to drugs.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I think the biggest thing to know about Lyerla is that the UofO really tried to help him, even after he left the program. There were people who wanted to help him, yet he refused every time. That to me says more about his foolish decision making than his current addictions to drugs.
Yeah, because he's a drug addict with problems.