S+P Full preview of Oregon 2019, Review of 2018 Stats

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

S+P Full preview of Oregon 2019, Review of 2018 Stats

Post by GrantDuck »

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ule-roster

This is very thorough. Some harsh words for Arroyo and some stats that don't look good for our running backs(to be fair, they were both freshman last year), but some positive words for what MC has done in recruiting and a good overall sentiment, that but for 2 real stinkers in the middle of the season last year(Wazzu/Arizona) we were that close to a very good season.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: S+P Full preview of Oregon 2019, Review of 2018 Stats

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Is anyone here stoked on Arroyo? Not to take away from the rest of the article, but was just curious..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Is anyone here stoked on Arroyo? Not to take away from the rest of the article, but was just curious..
I can't imagine anyone being "stoked" for Arroyo, maybe hopeful he'll improve, even confident, but definitely not stoked. Last year was very tough to watch, I know you can't blame Arroyo for Verdell's crappy vision and the WR drops, but there were a lot of predictable playcalls and game strategies that you can blame him and I'm sure to an extent MC for. My biggest hope is that he doesn't repeat game strategies. I'm no expert but it was clear that for like 6 games in a row from Stanford through UCLA Oregon started out with what seemed like almost the exact same plays on the first 3 series or so. It worked great against Stanford (until Oregon went into full meltdown mode) but by WSU defenses knew exactly what was coming and it was clear opposing DC's were a few steps ahead of Arroyo.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

A lot of my hesitation has to do with the passing game. Problem there is I'm not sure who to blame, Arroyo, Herbert , the WR's , or all of them.
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

FlDuckFan wrote:A lot of my hesitation has to do with the passing game. Problem there is I'm not sure who to blame, Arroyo, Herbert , the WR's , or all of them.
When in complete doubt blame all of the above and throw in the old WR coach.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Yeah, it was a product of all of those unfortunately.

- WR's got absolutely no separation outside of Mitchell
- Herbert wasn't great at going through progressions and often failed to check down
- Arroyo didn't call enough RPO to cause defenses to hesitate
- Johnson didn't coach up our guys well enough on the minutia of the position

I think we will see a better passing game all around.

- WR's should see more competition and better effort
- Herbert is a year older and hopefully learns to look for crossing patterns across the middle more often
- Arroyo and Cristobal have both said they want to enhance the offense. Hopefully be less predictable
- Bouknight already appears to be better at teaching fundamentals than Johnson was
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Question. We all know Herbert didn't run much last year. How much of it was planned and how much was because of the backup we had. I wonder if the fear of injury made the coaches wary of calling any QB running with the ball plays.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Hylothday on addicted to quack did a breakdown, and we averaged less than 1 RPO(run pass option) per game, and I think Herbert only ran on like 4 of those. So basically we never ran Herbert at all. If he ran, it was in a broken play.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Hylothday on addicted to quack did a breakdown, and we averaged less than 1 RPO(run pass option) per game, and I think Herbert only ran on like 4 of those. So basically we never ran Herbert at all. If he ran, it was in a broken play.
That's sad. Makes our offense less dimensional..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13