Avalos Defense Cut Up/Brief Analysis

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Avalos Defense Cut Up/Brief Analysis

Post by GrantDuck »

This got me even more pumped to see the new defense. It may take half a season for us to really see it fully enacted, but here's a few notes:

This is a cutup of their star linebacker, but you can see all the formations/etc. This was against SDSU and their star running back, Rashaad Penny. I tracked what formation they were in, how many rushed, and which players they had on the field. Most commonly, they are in a 3-4, but generally with 4-3 principles. The Stud position can be used on either end, depending on what we want to do. You'll also see a lot of 3-3-5(often disguised as 3-4 or even 5-2). Some passing downs you also see the 2-4-5 formation.

My favorite play is probably at :55 seconds in. They are in a 3-3-5. They show 5 men across the LOS and the 2 outside guys both look like they are going to drop. The left tackle reacts accordingly to the inside move of the down lineman, but at the last second, the outside rusher on the nearside doubles back and pass rushes, getting a clear shot at the quarterback with only a 4 man rush!

There's another sweet one at 3:55, where they show 6 at the LOS, again only rush 4, but get a complete free shot at the QB with the overloaded left side of the O-Line.

We will see how everything comes together at the back-end, but these 3-3-5 blitzes are really well executed.

duckfan22
Senior

Re: Avalos Defense Cut Up/Brief Analysis

Post by duckfan22 »

nice post what strikes me and has watching previous bsu games is how
uncomfortable they make the qb. They prepare very well. Hope this translates
to the ducks defense.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Hopefully there isn't too many early growing pains, but even if there are hopefully fans are patient and don't get upset if defense doesn't meet expectations the first few games.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Can't wait to see DJ Johnson with a year under his belt, and KT on the other end. Disguised or not, they both will have to be taken into account every play. Going to be fun.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I'll be excited if they don't tilt the defensive backfield over to the short side of the field to protect Lenior. Since he already has the easier side to protect and he seemed to improve at the end of the year, the defense should take a big step forward by having the free safety centered or shaded to the wide side. You hide your weaker cover on the boundary but to do that and then also sacrifice having a centerfielder in your defense to protect him even more takes a toll on your defense.

I remember people bitching about Graham giving up a deep TD to a Washington receiver 40 yards downfield and square in the center of the field. What I saw was a field side corner chasing a wide receiver for a full 8 seconds and stay with him but off balance at the time of the catch. And there wasn't a Safety within 20 yards. I could just picture Lou Saban going all Full Metal Jacket on the Safety, "Why Private Free Safety is a wide receiver catching a ball in front of my goal post and you're more than 20 yards away? Why isn't his head detached from his body. Why do you hate my beloved football team Private Safety?" But in our defense last year abandoning the middle to protect the boundary was in the game plan almost the entire year. That is a mighty low opinion of your corner, though in fairness to the coaches Lenoir was just awful in coverage the previous year as a freshman sub. Most opponents targeted him the second he entered the game.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

GrandpaDuck wrote:I'll be excited if they don't tilt the defensive backfield over to the short side of the field to protect Lenior. Since he already has the easier side to protect and he seemed to improve at the end of the year, the defense should take a big step forward by having the free safety centered or shaded to the wide side. You hide your weaker cover on the boundary but to do that and then also sacrifice having a centerfielder in your defense to protect him even more takes a toll on your defense.

I remember people bitching about Graham giving up a deep TD to a Washington receiver 40 yards downfield and square in the center of the field. What I saw was a field side corner chasing a wide receiver for a full 8 seconds and stay with him but off balance at the time of the catch. And there wasn't a Safety within 20 yards. I could just picture Lou Saban going all Full Metal Jacket on the Safety, "Why Private Free Safety is a wide receiver catching a ball in front of my goal post and you're more than 20 yards away? Why isn't his head detached from his body. Why do you hate my beloved football team Private Safety?" But in our defense last year abandoning the middle to protect the boundary was in the game plan almost the entire year. That is a mighty low opinion of your corner, though in fairness to the coaches Lenoir was just awful in coverage the previous year as a freshman sub. Most opponents targeted him the second he entered the game.
So funny the FMJ retrospect, nice! Lenoir improved markedly as last season wore on, so hopefully the shading won't be as much a necessity. Not worried with Holland back there, but Pickett hasn't sold me yet. Wright will be an awesome addition, and McKinley should be a strong nickel if needed. Seeing past BSU games and tape, I am all in on Avalos to take everything to the next level. What is Leavett doing next year? So much for his year over year improvement while at Colorado, didn't happen here.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Everythingsducky wrote:Can't wait to see DJ Johnson with a year under his belt, and KT on the other end. Disguised or not, they both will have to be taken into account every play. Going to be fun.
DJ is a physical specimen, but what I've seen of him so far, he doesn't look super quick (Spring game and bowl game) and hasn't made any big plays.

A very small sample size though and I'm excited to see what he can do. It's certainly cool to have a high 4* and a 5* kid potentially coming off BOTH edges!