Next Year's OL

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Re: Next Year's OL

Post by Phalanx »

Alan wrote:Helf was a disaster from the time he went to DP, yes a DC, but those season were brutal on the Ducks reputation...... at least he was smart enough to bring in Holk! That helped....... then slick pulled his crap, three solid years of Ducks nose dive did not help recruiting, that's on Helf.
It's so funny that people still think this. Justin Herbert, our starting QB for the last three years who is about to be an NFL first-round draft pick, is a Helf recruit. Dillon Mitchell, our only receiver worth a darn last year who went to the NFL was a Helf recruit, as was Jaylon Redd. Verdell, our starting RB this year was a Helf recruit, and the other starter, Travis Dye is the brother of a Helf recruit. Jacob Breeland, our Mackey Award watch list tight end was a Helf recruit, and his two back-ups, McCormick and Kampmoyer were also Helf recruits. You have issues with the D-Line? Bryson Young, Drayton Carlberg, Troy Dye, LaMar Winston, Gus Cumberlander, Gary Baker - all Helf recruits. That's five of your starting front seven. In the backfield, Ugo Amadi who just went to the NFL, was a Helf recruit, as were Lenoir, Brady Breeze, and Nick Pickett. Half the starting backfield.

I give credit to Cristobal for bringing positive attitude and momentum back to the program, and coaching guys up, but we are talking right now about depth in recruiting. Isn't it funny how most of the starters who are expected to do so well this year were recruited by the guy who was so awful at recruiting?
Last edited by Phalanx on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Alan wrote:Helf was a disaster from the time he went to DP, yes a DC, but those season were brutal on the Ducks reputation...... at least he was smart enough to bring in Holk! That helped....... then slick pulled his crap, three solid years of Ducks nose dive did not help recruiting, that's on Helf.
Recruiting has been strong all three classes since Helf left. (edited out , too harsh sentence)

We shouldn't be able to claim Helf destroyed our recruiting while at the same claiming we are the recruiting dynamo of the conference.
Last edited by GrandpaDuck on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

GrantDuck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I thought it was slightly odd that Mario Cristobal and Alex Mirabal have recruited 3 classes of offensive lineman to Oregon, yet Cristobal and Mirabal are dipping into the JUCO ranks for a lineman this year. Looking at the depth chart, next year's offensive line starters (without TJ Bass) looks like:

Penei Sewell (LT)
Alex Forsyth (LG)
Ryan Walk (C)
Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu (RG)
Steven Jones (RT)

Rotation:
Jonah Tauanu'u (tackle)
Justin Johnson (guard)
Dawson Jaramillo (center)

There are a couple other potential contributors (Chris Randazzo will be in year 3, Sam Poutasi in year 5) but the graduation of 7 lineman and the transfers of Jacob Capra and Cody Shear will leave this position group paper thin in talent and experience. An instant contributor like TJ Bass makes a lot more sense after taking a step back to look at it.
Forsyth will be the starting center most likely. Sala, Jones, Sewell, and Jonah are all elite recruits with at least year in the program. For as much as we're losing, Mario has done a great job.

Sometimes you end up with unbalanced classes at certain positions, it's not an exact science.
You mean Alex Forsyth, the Helf recruit?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

We might want to let the year play out and see how those younger OL develop before we project them all as busts going forward. We've got some young guys behind our Top 6 that still have another year to grow and develop.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Herbert like Mariota and Schooler for that matter were little recruited prospects, Mariota it was us and UW, Schooler it was us and Wyoming, not sure about Herbert but being hurt his senior year didn't help him. You can't give Helf credit or too much credit, he did scout Mariota for Chip. Not saying it's all Helf's fault but his lack of control of his coaches and terrible hires certainly caused the programs nose dive and affected recruiting. I know know we had some medical retirement's and Transferrs do to coaching changes, so no, it's not all Helf.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Mark is in precisely the position he is perfect for: Offensive Coordinator. If you told me that after the year Arroyo took his own HC job at a lower level and we were getting Helfrich back as OC for Cristobal I would be ecstatic.

Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Doubt Ryan Walk starts at C. It will be Forsyth, Bass, or Jaramillo.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Duck07 wrote:Mark is in precisely the position he is perfect for: Offensive Coordinator. If you told me that after the year Arroyo took his own HC job at a lower level and we were getting Helfrich back as OC for Cristobal I would be ecstatic.

Agreed, Helfrich as OC for a Cristobal team would be amazing. I just don't think the personalities would match as word is that Cristobal demands a lot out of his coaches when it comes to just recruiting.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Start a thread about how you're surprised at the lack of depth on OL, end up debating Mark Helfrich. Nice.
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

StevensTechU wrote:Start a thread about how you're surprised at the lack of depth on OL, end up debating Mark Helfrich. Nice.
I am not sure what's worse...the ghost of Helf or the ghost of Willie
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Duck07 wrote:Mark is in precisely the position he is perfect for: Offensive Coordinator. If you told me that after the year Arroyo took his own HC job at a lower level and we were getting Helfrich back as OC for Cristobal I would be ecstatic.

Same.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13