John Neal

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

jimmy12
Senior

John Neal

Post by jimmy12 »

I am hearing that John may be joining the Ducks staff as an analyst or some sort. (Video review or game planning)
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: John Neal

Post by UOducksTK1 »

That'd be cool. He definitely had some rough years, but we had some great DBs that were low recruits during his time here.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think he's a really good coach. From what I've heard, he got sick of recruiting and the hours it necessitated (as with most of that staff, somewhat understandably after 30 years for most of them) but I think he's a good football coach. I'd gladly have him come back and help out.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I think he's a really good coach. From what I've heard, he got sick of recruiting and the hours it necessitated (as with most of that staff, somewhat understandably after 30 years for most of them) but I think he's a good football coach. I'd gladly have him come back and help out.
His non-Wazzu body of work is pretty good. lol
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Add me to the list of thinking he would do well as an analyst, I would like to see him get there. As a potential assistant coach for the Ducks....... nope in my eyes he has burnt that bridge, I can certainly see the recruiting trail getting very old though.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Cool. I always wanted coach Campbell to come back as an analyst but Neal would be a good one too.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I think this could be an insurance policy against one of the two DB coaches leaving after this year. Heyward in particular should be super attractive to a school that needs an ace recruiter and has a defensive head coach so they can afford to take a chance on a first time defensive coordinator.

I like John Neal, and most of the stories about him at the end are WeDidn'tWantHimAnyway bullshit.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I do believe he recruited Ugo.

Always thought Coach Neal did a good job. Can't argue with guys like Pat Chung, Byrd, Thurmond, Boyett)many more)

Like many at the end of the Helf era, left some to be desired in terms of consistency of recruit, but would gladly have him back in the program.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

John Neal was one of the best secondary coaches (based on results) in the 2000s. The end of his career at Oregon was marred by an inability to recruit a soul (Ugo was recruited because a guy in Tennessee texted the wrong number) and Chris Seisay was the prize recruit another year, and by causing division in the locker room with frequent moaning and groaning about being passed over for the DC job. Though ultimate blame falls on Helfrich, Neal most certainly played a part in Oregon's demise.

I think he could be a good addition as an analyst. Would I want him back as a coach? Not particularly.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

karlhungis wrote:Cool. I always wanted coach Campbell to come back as an analyst but Neal would be a good one too.
Why would Campbell want to come back? He's retired and happy, finally having time to do what he wants.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Neal strikes me as a guy who loves to coach, but was unable to adapt his personality to the style of recruiting that is necessary these days. I think he would make an excellent analyst.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Jesseisabeast
One Star Recruit

Post by Jesseisabeast »

Neal was not a fan of Hoke and his schemes either which he thought were unsound.....kind of hard to argue
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Jesseisabeast wrote:Neal was not a fan of Hoke and his schemes either which he thought were unsound.....kind of hard to argue
The most under-appreciated post ever. His schemes and coaching were some of the worst I have ever seen. This hire is the one that got Helf fired in my opinion. The crazy part is that it's not like the Michigan fans didn't tell us. They were laughing immediately. He had ever been a DC. He didn't like to wear a headset. His "book of schemes" were in a binder folder. The list goes on.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I confess that I still have a lingering feeling that Helfrich would still be the head coach at Oregon if he was given the same budget to hire a DC (and other coaches) that Taggart and Cristobal got a few years later. Pellum and Hoke really did a number on duck football. Neal sure had a great run with putting guys in the NFL, and it was a bummer to lose a coach of that stature. Hopefully, the ducks can take advantage of his coaching knowledge.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I feel confident Cristobal knows the true story of each coach and their part during the nose dive Helf dealt with, I wonder if Neal is truly an option to come aboard and if he will?