Just heard mycah pittman

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Just heard mycah pittman

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I know this post will get criticized but that’s not new for me. I’ve been thinking this for a while but have abstained from posting it, and it’s simply a theory, not saying I believe it or it’s true, but part of me wonders if these coaches run practices too intense. I get wanting kids to be competitive and wanting them to battle to prove themselves, but I’d rather have a talented WR like Pittman on the second team than not on the field at all. At a certain point, there’s gotta be the realization that it’s just practice right? And the game is what it’s all about? Results on the practice field aren’t recorded, only games. With the injuries we’ve seen so far as well as the videos where Mullens discusses how intense and competitive these practices are just makes me wonder if toning them down is necessary.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

As long as it's not a dangerous drill the odds are the same whether its practice or game. If a receiver is going all out for a ball it's their choice and their risk. The coach can ask for effort but the players decide if they are going to give it. An example is when a coach loses the locker room. He can yell, teach, and plead but he won't get a thing. If a player loves the game and the coach they are going to go all out no matter what is said.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Anyone who thinks any football practice now is to intense, or dangerous, never played football at any level 10-20 years ago. Practices are much safer and milder nowadays. The players safety is the top priority, without sacrificing football skills.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Injuries happen on all kinds of plays so I doubt this was a case of the practices or scrimmages being too hard. That's just the nature of the sport, especially when you've got ultra-competitive players like Pittman who give 100% on almost every play.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Not the coaches fault at all. As others have said, Pittman is a fiery dude who wants to prove he’s the best WR on the planet. Maybe he won’t go completely all out in practices moving forward and pick his spots, but overall his Mamba mentality will be what takes him to the next level.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Not the coaches fault at all. As others have said, Pittman is a fiery dude who wants to prove he’s the best WR on the planet. Maybe he won’t go completely all out in practices moving forward and pick his spots, but overall his Mamba mentality will be what takes him to the next level.
100% agree.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I don't believe they are too intense but when I saw a previous picture of Pittman making a layout catch I cringed. I broke my upper arm in two places and damaged my rotator cuff on a head first slide decades ago when a slight nudge from the catcher changed my intended landing spot. You are so vulnerable. The breaks healed quickly, the rotator, took PT for a year.

My thought when I saw the highlight was "spectacular now save that for a real game." Like hurdling tacklers, body slamming tackles, spearing and cut blocks, some things are best left out of practice. Because of my personal experience I have taken note over the years of injuries I've seen on layout catch attempts and it is on the high end of vulnerable moments for receivers.

I have no idea if Oregon or any school discourages layouts during practice, but if the almighty Phil appoints me coach some day, I will.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Broken clavicle, book it.

And football practices are never too intense compared to what you get in a game. Your teammates are trying to replicate game situations. I’ve gotten concussed or deep bruised in practice. I’ve had my femur broken and a torn ACL in a game. It’s a physical game. Injuries happen. It’s part of what of makes this game beautiful, it’s a contest of physical and mental will.

It’s sucks to see someone get injured, but it’s a risk everyone who plays understands. I hope Mycah is well soon, but this is just how football is.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Laying out and landing with your arms extended often results in a torn labrum. I have one and it can be a drag sometimes, but for a young man like him, it wouldn't, or shouldn't be too serious. The pain is manageable. The problem comes from muscle spasms in the arm. My arm used to dance with spasms. That hurt!

Pure speculation here, I'm just saying it's possibility.
John 3:36
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Fair responses, but I can’t help but continue to play devil’s advocate! Yes it was Pittman’s choice, he’s a fiery athlete with a strong competitive nature so it’s not surprising he does this. However, he’s also a kid, he’s 18 years old, his judgement isn’t all the way there yet. At a certain point, could one argue that the coaches should keep these players in check to ensure they aren’t playing too risky for practice?
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Fair responses, but I can’t help but continue to play devil’s advocate! Yes it was Pittman’s choice, he’s a fiery athlete with a strong competitive nature so it’s not surprising he does this. However, he’s also a kid, he’s 18 years old, his judgement isn’t all the way there yet. At a certain point, could one argue that the coaches should keep these players in check to ensure they aren’t playing too risky for practice?
I think that’s fair to say if he had a strong freshman year and he’s proven what he’s capable of. Right now he’s in camp giving it his all and showcasing what he can do to help the team win.
Return Of the Quack!
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Any mention of how long he will be out? Seems like Herbert was out 6 to 8 weeks with his and then there was still lots of concerned about him getting hit.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Fair responses, but I can’t help but continue to play devil’s advocate! Yes it was Pittman’s choice, he’s a fiery athlete with a strong competitive nature so it’s not surprising he does this. However, he’s also a kid, he’s 18 years old, his judgement isn’t all the way there yet. At a certain point, could one argue that the coaches should keep these players in check to ensure they aren’t playing too risky for practice?
Have you ever played competitive sports?
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I’m seriously struggling to understand how a kid diving for a ball in practice is somehow on the coaches? What would you like them to do to avoid this? In a game like situational practice “Guys, if the ball is a little hard to get to, we’d rather you not try for it”. It wasn’t a “walk-thru” practice. It was full go. It’s how you get ready for games.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I've been around quite a few athletes, and there is always that guy who likes putting his body on the line to make a spectacular play and who is injury-prone as a result. We all remember Ken Griffey Jr and the injuries he sustained making crazy plays in the outfield. All in all, I would rather he had not sacrificed so much of his prime career over trying to make one out. I can't say if that is on the coaches or not, but I think athletes have to learn to be smart.