Re: Just heard mycah pittman

Post by jimmy12 »

That’s a “no”
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

UofDuck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Fair responses, but I can’t help but continue to play devil’s advocate! Yes it was Pittman’s choice, he’s a fiery athlete with a strong competitive nature so it’s not surprising he does this. However, he’s also a kid, he’s 18 years old, his judgement isn’t all the way there yet. At a certain point, could one argue that the coaches should keep these players in check to ensure they aren’t playing too risky for practice?
I’m seriously struggling to understand how a kid diving for a ball in practice is somehow on the coaches? What would you like them to do to avoid this? In a game like situational practice “Guys, if the ball is a little hard to get to, we’d rather you not try for it”. It wasn’t a “walk-thru” practice. It was full go. It’s how you get ready for games.
It’s not on the coaches. He didn’t get hurt during the much maligned Oklahoma drill. It wasn’t bull in a ring. Pittman got hurt by the ground and gravity. It happens. It sucks because no one did anything wrong, it’s just the way the dice rolls.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

There are some ignorant people out there, questioning him going hard? C’mon guys he is a true freshman trying to crack the starting line up at a D-1 school! You can’t come in as a freshman do the same as the upperclassmen and just get the job. He was is going above and beyond on and off the field TO START! He wasn’t laying out for balls for fun or because coaches told him to!
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

PS starting to hear rumors it’s a broken collar bone FWIW . That’s generally 4-6 weeks
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

brich75 wrote:There are some ignorant people out there, questioning him going hard? C’mon guys he is a true freshman trying to crack the starting line up at a D-1 school! You can’t come in as a freshman do the same as the upperclassmen and just get the job. He was is going above and beyond on and off the field TO START! He wasn’t laying out for balls for fun or because coaches told him to!
4 to 6 weeks is better than what I thought it would be that would have them only missing two to 4 games. Back early but again collarbones a tough one to not re-injure
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

We play 4 games then get a BYE after Stanford so if you go 6 weeks off that puts him back for Cal and Colorado in weeks 7 and 8 with the poodles in week 9.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Alan wrote:
brich75 wrote:There are some ignorant people out there, questioning him going hard? C’mon guys he is a true freshman trying to crack the starting line up at a D-1 school! You can’t come in as a freshman do the same as the upperclassmen and just get the job. He was is going above and beyond on and off the field TO START! He wasn’t laying out for balls for fun or because coaches told him to!
4 to 6 weeks is better than what I thought it would be that would have them only missing two to 4 games. Back early but again collarbones a tough one to not re-injure
That would be best case for sure
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Phenom wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Fair responses, but I can’t help but continue to play devil’s advocate! Yes it was Pittman’s choice, he’s a fiery athlete with a strong competitive nature so it’s not surprising he does this. However, he’s also a kid, he’s 18 years old, his judgement isn’t all the way there yet. At a certain point, could one argue that the coaches should keep these players in check to ensure they aren’t playing too risky for practice?
Have you ever played competitive sports?
Yes, I played high school and AAU basketball, but I never played football. Why does it matter?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

UofDuck wrote:
I’m seriously struggling to understand how a kid diving for a ball in practice is somehow on the coaches? What would you like them to do to avoid this? In a game like situational practice “Guys, if the ball is a little hard to get to, we’d rather you not try for it”. It wasn’t a “walk-thru” practice. It was full go. It’s how you get ready for games.
I’m trying to say, if Pittman has shown a habit of doing this in practice and being reckless and risking injury, at a certain point should the coaches try to encourage him to be more careful? And who knows, maybe they did and he didn’t heed their warning. That’s the angle I was coming from.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Phalanx wrote:I've been around quite a few athletes, and there is always that guy who likes putting his body on the line to make a spectacular play and who is injury-prone as a result. We all remember Ken Griffey Jr and the injuries he sustained making crazy plays in the outfield. All in all, I would rather he had not sacrificed so much of his prime career over trying to make one out. I can't say if that is on the coaches or not, but I think athletes have to learn to be smart.
100% agree with this. I love aggressive play as much as anyone, but at a certain point, gotta be reasonable and consider the long term, especially if it’s practice.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

There is absolutely zero reason to call others ignorant for what’s been said in this topic. It’s a simple and reasonable discussion, is there a such thing is going too hard in practice if you risk injury to yourself and/or others? NFL players will be cut simply for being injury prone, it’s important to stay healthy cause if you aren’t, you’re no worth to your team. You bring up a valid point though, young true freshman like Pittman want to prove themselves, so this isn’t surprising and should be expected. Just sucks it’s at a position Oregon is already super thin at.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Sorry, but very few 18-22 years old males have a long term view of life. Top that with the passion to be the best and a coaches hands are tied. They can make rules and explain the long term view but it's true you play like you practice. Gravity and the ground are still going to be there each down the best the coachs can do is control the high impact hits and the actions of other players. Watch these kids role models and you won't find a player who is afraid of risks.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
There is absolutely zero reason to call others ignorant for what’s been said in this topic. It’s a simple and reasonable discussion, is there a such thing is going too hard in practice if you risk injury to yourself and/or others? NFL players will be cut simply for being injury prone, it’s important to stay healthy cause if you aren’t, you’re no worth to your team. You bring up a valid point though, young true freshman like Pittman want to prove themselves, so this isn’t surprising and should be expected. Just sucks it’s at a position Oregon is already super thin at.
I disagree, I believe it’s ignorant to question how hard he practices. If you question his effort than you obviously don’t know how hard it is for a true freshman to play D-1 football let alone start! I never played basketball but I did play college football and it’s a different world than high school. You don’t get to play just because you made the team
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Anyone who has played, coached, or even been around football know that most significant injuries are freak accidents. I've seen a kid break all 5 fingers in his hand by trying to pull his pants up on a long run. Injuries happen and Mycah's in particular is not a sign of practice being to physical or intense. He played out for a pass which he has done before at practice s*** happens. Remember he's coming into a position group where there is almost 0% confidence and he's fighting for a starting position by showing he doesn't drop the ball and catches everything. When you have a player with that type of mentality you can tell him to turn it down but you're better off talking to a wall. I was excited to see him play and hopefully replace one of last years disappointing starters but now Redd has a chance to prove it was a fluke or Addison can come in and flash his talent. We shall see.

Sorry for formatting I'm on my cell.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think we can all move on from questioning what type of effort a player should be giving in practice. It's an absolutely dumb tangent to be taking this thread on.