2019-2020 Oregon Duck Record Prediction Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

2019-2020 Oregon Duck Record Prediction Thread

Post by GrantDuck »

11 days out, nothing else going on, let's give it a go.

I'm going with 10-3. 9-3 regular season with losses to Auburn, UW OR Stanford, and ASU.

We then win our bowl game. 7-2 in the Pac-12 might get us to the CCG against probably Utah(ASU/UCLA/Arizona could surprise). I think we win that if we make it, in which case, think we end up 10-4 with a Rose Bowl loss.

So 10 wins either way, do you sign up for that Duck fans?
northbeachsf
Freshman

Re: 2019-2020 Oregon Duck Record Prediction Thread

Post by northbeachsf »

Seems rational. I would agree.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrantDuck wrote:11 days out, nothing else going on, let's give it a go.

I'm going with 10-3. 9-3 regular season with losses to Auburn, UW OR Stanford, and ASU.

We then win our bowl game. 7-2 in the Pac-12 might get us to the CCG against probably Utah(ASU/UCLA/Arizona could surprise). I think we win that if we make it, in which case, think we end up 10-4 with a Rose Bowl loss.

Fine by me!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GrantDuck wrote:11 days out, nothing else going on, let's give it a go.

Not much room for disagreement.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I'm going with 10-2, losses to Auburn and ASU. I don't think Stanford and Washington will be as good as people think. I think Oregon will outplay Auburn but Auburn will get two garbage touchdowns due to Oregon defensive miscommunications, just to be expected with a new DC and a bunch of talented freshmen. And with the WR injuries, I don't think Oregon's offense will produce enough against Auburn's nasty defense to overcome that. I think it'll be 24-27 Auburn. And ASU, I think they're gonna be better and will be improving over the next few years. Herm Edwards is instilling a mean attitude into that culture and I have a feeling this will be a night game. Pac-12 after dark in ASU just is a scary combo to me. I think ASU will catch Oregon off-guard that game and win a close one.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

@Auburn -> L
Nevada -> W
Montana ->W
@Stanford -> W
Cal -> W
Colorado -> W
UW -> W
WSU -> W
USC -> W
UA -> W
ASU -> W
OSU -> W

CCG -> W

12-1, loss is to Auburn.

This prediction feels a bit off because I'm honestly not that high on this years team. But every other Pac-12 team has more serious issues than Oregon--I've posted my thoughts on Oregon's weaknesses in the Auburn game thread, so I won't keep beating that dead horse. Finally having 85 players on scholarship is a huge edge. Nobody else is above the low 80s, with a lot of teams in the low 70s. The team probably drops another game somewhere along the line, but other than @ASU I don't see an obvious trap game. The team will step up for Stanford and UW.

UCLA can barely execute its offense. Low 70s in scholarships on roster. Weak D. DTR looked bad in the spring. Replaces OSU in the cellar of the conference. Don't see any obvious wins on the schedule--I'd put the over/under at 2.5.

OSU will improve, 4 wins, 2 in conference. Luton is pretty good--my expectation of improvements is based upon him staying healthy. Gebbia (spelling?) is not great. They took around 10 junior college defensive players. If they have the eleventh best defense in the Pac-12 it will be a huge improvement as their offense was decent last year.

USC is a mess. Low 70s in scholarships on the roster. Hired Graham Harrell yet their spring game offense looked unchanged from last year. They still execute better than UCLA. They still have a lot of talent. Could overachieve if they stay healthy.

Stanford is going to have a really good D. They've got a couple of freshmen linebackers who are going to absolutely tear it up. Parkinson's backup is a stud as well (and physically looks like Colt Lyerla--though he's a 25 year old freshmen back from a mission, so I'm not comparing anything beyond their build). They don't appear to have a productive running back and lost most of their returning production at WR--Osiris St Brown looks like he will be a strong replacement.

Cal could win the conference. Their biggest downside is that they are starting Chase Garbers. But Garbers as a full time starter is a much better situation than what they had last year. Their D will compete for the top spot in the league.

WSU - Eh, who knows. I keep expecting their D to drop off every time they lose a coach, but they keep massively outperforming their recruiting rankings. They had 3 good looking QBs during spring and the transfer didn't even play because he was hurt. Could win the conference, could finish 6th.

UW will have a down year. Have had a bunch of husky fans set reminders on my reddit predictions. Whatever, Eason is barely average and Haener is outright bad. Their LB core is looking patchy, Ariel Ngata is a good pass rusher but is undersized. The other LBs don't stand out. Burr-Kirven was a huge loss. Their D line is talented. They replace a ton of production in their secondary, but have a great track record for replacing it. ~80 scholarships

Colorado, UA, ASU - good enough to win 1 game each against the top tier teams, but not a threat to win the conference. ASU lives or dies based on Jayden Daniels. Montez/Shenault make Colorado the best team out of this group.

Utah has an easy path to the CCG. They don't play Oregon or Stanford. They have good lines. Huntley is solid. Zach Moss might be hurt, or it might be a nonsense rumor. They are right around 80 scholarships.

I've watched 8 of 12 Pac-12 spring games, plus Auburn and a couple others and the biggest takeaway I got from it was that the media doesn't watch more than the team they cover. UCLA was very noticeably bad. There are a lot of teams with depleted rosters throughout the league. If Oregon doesn't win the conference, there is a good chance that Stanford wins it with a 1-2 out of conference record. Utah is the conferences best shot at looking good--but I don't think they (or anyone else in the Pac-12) stacks up with the usual playoff teams very well. I don't think the 'Pac-12 is weak' narrative is going away this year. The non-Clemson ACC is much, much worse and no one writes about it.
Last edited by wepto on Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I'm going with 10-3 with a bowl win...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

So my mother Greatgreatgrandma Duck turns 100 this next July. She plans on a big party and then the next day she wants us to drive her to the church for her funeral.

She has one more sports season and plans on watching every duck football, men and womens basketball and Trailblazer basketball games.

She really wants them to all do well so I'm going with 16-0 for the football, and Naties all around.

As TK never comes thru with ponies when we win these prediction contests, I've got nothing to lose by going big.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Ducks lose 1. Win pac12. Beat ND is playoff semi final and play bama in final. And win on a last second field goal
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

duckfan96 wrote:Ducks lose 1. Win pac12. Beat ND is playoff semi final and play bama in final. And win on a last second field goal

*96* F.T.W.!!!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duckfan96 wrote:Ducks lose 1. Win pac12. Beat ND is playoff semi final and play bama in final. And win on a last second field goal
I'm feeling this in a lot of ways when looking at our team and schedule and the loss won't be to Auburn because that win will help us get in as 12-1 but rather to a team like ASU that we beat in a rematch in the P12CG.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

12-0 would be nice, before the CCG and Playoffs... Of coourse the last time the Ducks accomplished that ended in disappointment.

Here's to Completing The Mission.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I would argue that the home game vs. WSU, sandwiched the week between games at UW and at USC respectively, has the look of a trap game. Even though WSU had the benefit of not having to face our starting QB in its two wins at Autzen during its current four game win streak over the Ducks, I'm sure to most Cougar fans it just means they've been the better program during that span. It would be pretty awful to see that streak extended to a program i don't think most of us see as the equal of ours.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

10-2. I think we lose to Furd and USC unfortunately.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

9-3 or possibly 8-4, with the problems at WR this is really feeling like another one of "those years", the injury bug is biting early and often it seems like.