How far will the Ducks move up?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

wlduck
Sophomore

Re: How far will the Ducks move up?

Post by wlduck »

QuackininBama wrote:The polls are meaningless at this point in the season. Were not a playoff team, we just arn't, however the Rose Bowl is looking good right now at least. They just have to take care of business week in and week out and it will work itself out.
I think the "we are not a playoff team" line is too simple. I think it stems from some idea that to be a playoff team you have to look flawless every week. Every fan base looks at their own flaws and obsesses over them. That just isn't the reality of college football. Right now there are only three teams that consistently "look" like playoff teams: Ohio State, LSU and Oklahoma. Clemson, Alabama and Penn State certainly don't look invincible. Who knows what will happen the rest of the way? Maybe Clemson gets it together and looks like they did last year. Maybe they don't. Anyone of those teams could get stronger- or weaker. (Ohio State 2014).

If we run the table including the PAC 12 Championship game against Utah (for the record I doubt we will) we will most likely be a playoff team. Not to be too simple, but if you make the playoff, you are a playoff team. You don't have to look a certain way. A 12-1 PAC 12 champion is probably getting in. And if you say we would get killed once there, well sure. And Wisconsin is going to kill Illinois.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

No way a 12-1 pac 12 team gets in.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:No way a 12-1 pac 12 team gets in.

No way there is more than 5 12-1 teams when the dust settles. Stop listening to that douche Finnebam, and take it one game at a time.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Alan wrote:No way a 12-1 pac 12 team gets in.

No way there is more than 5 12-1 teams when the dust settles. Stop listening to that douche Finnebam, and take it one game at a time.

Lol, I don't like Finnebam either and pay any action to what he has to say, but I don't play so I can look forward and think "what if". Part of the fun of being a fan! Lol
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It seems every year there are 15 teams all with a shot at the playoffs. Yet by the beginning of Dec, only 5-6 with 1 loss or less. UO just has to win. LSU will beat Bama, making them a lock. Bama wont lose again, and get in just because they are bama. That leaves 2 spots. Maybe you goes undefeated, and maybe OU does. But as seen with Wiscy, weird things can happen.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

buckmarkduck wrote:It seems every year there are 15 teams all with a shot at the playoffs. Yet by the beginning of Dec, only 5-6 with 1 loss or less. UO just has to win. LSU will beat Bama, making them a lock. Bama wont lose again, and get in just because they are bama. That leaves 2 spots. Maybe you goes undefeated, and maybe OU does. But as seen with Wiscy, weird things can happen.
Clemson and Oklahoma aren’t losing and Ohio State has a good chance of winning out. There are plenty of spots above Oregon. But it Oregon wanted time make the playoffs don’t lose against an inferior team in Auburn.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

This year feels like the tipping point to move towards an 8-team playoff (5 conference champs, 1 Group of 5, 2 At-Large). There are going to be a handful of deserving teams left out for a multitude of reasons. Also, if they do not move forward with an 8-team playoff, we are going to see a lot more teams stop playing difficult OOC games. Take Oregon for example: Many here believe a 12-1 Pac-12 champ who played Auburn (and led for 59:51 of the game) in the Opener would not receive a Top 4 ranking and spot in the CFB Playoff ... that's ludicrous. A team like Clemson, who plays absolutely no one goes unbeaten and a spot is expected, no questions asked. So, had Oregon played a cupcake in Week 1 instead of Auburn, they'd be 13-0, but because they went out and challeneed themselves against a quality opponent, many believe it will cost them a spot in the Top 4 ... that's not right ... that's not the spirit of college football.

If the Ducks can take care of the Cougs and Trojans, hopefully we see the CFB committee reward Oregon in the first initial playoff rankings with a better spot in the polls than both the coaches and AP writers have done so far.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

DmoneyDuck wrote:This year feels like the tipping point to move towards an 8-team playoff (5 conference champs, 1 Group of 5, 2 At-Large). There are going to be a handful of deserving teams left out for a multitude of reasons. Also, if they do not move forward with an 8-team playoff, we are going to see a lot more teams stop playing difficult OOC games. Take Oregon for example: Many here believe a 12-1 Pac-12 champ who played Auburn (and led for 59:51 of the game) in the Opener would not receive a Top 4 ranking and spot in the CFB Playoff ... that's ludicrous. A team like Clemson, who plays absolutely no one goes unbeaten and a spot is expected, no questions asked. So, had Oregon played a cupcake in Week 1 instead of Auburn, they'd be 13-0, but because they went out and challeneed themselves against a quality opponent, many believe it will cost them a spot in the Top 4 ... that's not right ... that's not the spirit of college football.

If the Ducks can take care of the Cougs and Trojans, hopefully we see the CFB committee reward Oregon in the first initial playoff rankings with a better spot in the polls than both the coaches and AP writers have done so far.

It's about W's and L's, not who had the W for 59:51 then lost it. Although I agree playing a tough OOC game hold little or no weight, like it did a few years ago so 13-0 and make your argument. Also I also agree an 8 team playoff is over due and with an 8 team playoff some teams left out will still whine, same with a 16 or 32 team playoff, someone or someone's will feel slighted. But the powers that be with the power of making it an 8 team playoff are under contract until....., not going to look it up but a few more years, doubt they will change that.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Ducks up to #11 with Utah at #12.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

We just have to hope that both Oregon and Utah keep winning and meet in the Pac 12 championship game. If two 11-1 teams meet, the chances are good that the winner will be a playoff team, and the loser will go to the Rose Bowl.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

All Oregon has to do to move up in the top ten is beat WSU since #7 Florida and #10 Georgia play each other next weekend, which should drop one of those teams below the Ducks. Also have to keep an eye on #2 LSU/#9 Auburn, #3 Ohio State/#13 Wisconsin, and #8 Notre Dame/#20 Michigan next weekend.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I don't see Oregon being in the playoffs even at 12-1. I would say right now it would be LSU or Alabama,,, maybe both,,, Ohio State and Clemson. Georgia lost to South Carolina so think that eliminates them unless they win the SEC. Notre Dame always plays one of the toughest schedules in the country so can not forget about them. I think the 1 loss teams if to be a 1 loss team getting in has to have a 1 loss that is worse than Oregon's. Oregon will get credit for playing it early and losing. We seen it frequently. I would be happy with Oregon winning the rose bowl though. Penn State or Wisconsin be a nice matchup.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Even a more interesting question now. #5 Oklahoma L, #8 Notre Dame L. #9 Auburn L #10 Georgia Idle, #11 Oregon W.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Doubt we jump Georgia since we didn't look too good tonight, but we should leapfrog the losing teams. So that'll put us at #7.

If we want to make the playoffs (I'm honestly not sure I do, but whatever) then I think we still need help. If there are two SEC teams with one loss or less, they'll probably both get in over us. If Ohio State loses in non-awful fashion, they're probably in over us. So to open up the fourth spot, we either need Clemson to lose (and it's still possible they or Oklahoma get in over us as a one-loss team), Ohio State to lose twice, or SEC chaos.

So, it still seems unlikely to work out. But we got like half of the way there today with the Oklahoma and ND losses today.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Tray Dub wrote:Doubt we jump Georgia since we didn't look too good tonight, but we should leapfrog the losing teams. So that'll put us at #7.

If we want to make the playoffs (I'm honestly not sure I do, but whatever) then I think we still need help. If there are two SEC teams with one loss or less, they'll probably both get in over us. If Ohio State loses in non-awful fashion, they're probably in over us. So to open up the fourth spot, we either need Clemson to lose (and it's still possible they or Oklahoma get in over us as a one-loss team), Ohio State to lose twice, or SEC chaos.

So, it still seems unlikely to work out. But we got like half of the way there today with the Oklahoma and ND losses today.
Especially after tonight, I don’t want to see Oregon in the playoffs. Just don’t think they have the experience/talent yet. Maybe, just maybe, if Herbert actually plays to his potential, CJ continues to play like he did tonight, and if Avalos can figure out the defensive woes, then Oregon can compete in the playoffs, but otherwise I don’t see this Oregon team even getting close to winning a game in the playoffs.