Playoff Chances

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

squintsdd
Sophomore

Re: Playoff Chances

Post by squintsdd »

I would like to see the playoff format move to the top 10 teams, with 1 and 2 getting a bye week. This would give teams that aren't from power 5 schools more of an opportunity
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

That format doesn't work. After the first round you'd have six teams left, so you'd need two more byes.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

What it will be on Tuesday:
1) LSU
2) OSU
3) Clemson
4) Alabama
5) Georgia
6) Oregon
7) Penn State
8) Utah
9) Oklahoma
10) Minnesota

What it should be:
1) LSU - Four Top 25 wins, no losses, and easily the best resume.
2) OSU - Dominating teams, no losses, and their opponents combined winning percentage is 58%, best in the Top 10.
3) Minnesota - Their schedule was iffy, but they now have a Top 5 win and no losses. No other team below them on this list can say that.
4) Clemson - Was not playing well, but scoring 42 first half points and giving up none is a solid statement. No losses.
5) Penn State - Have wins against two ranked teams and a loss to an undefeated team that should be in the Top 5 right now.
6) Oregon - No losses in league play, their opponents combined winning percentage is 56%, which is second best to OSU. Second most wins vs. teams with winning records. One loss to a Top 15 team in the first game on a neutral field with significant injuries.
7) Georgia - Have beat two ranked teams, but also have the worst loss of all the Top 10 teams. South Carolina is a bad, bad loss.
8) Utah - No great wins, but no bad losses either. Opponents combined winning percentage is 50%.
9) Alabama - Opponents combined winning percentage is 39%, good for worst in the Top 10. Zero wins against ranked teams. Gave up 46 points at home last week. Not only do they play FCS schools, they play bad ones.
10) Baylor - Baylor is not a great team, but their defense is better than Oklahoma's. The same crappy schedule as Oklahoma, but with no losses.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

SuperDuck wrote:
bellsduck wrote:My guess
1. LSU
2. OSU
3. Clemson
4. Georgia
5. Oregon
6. Utah
7. Minnesota
8.Alabama
9. PSU
10. Oklahoma
I don't think Alabama drops out of the top-6. Penn State will fall back, but I don't see Oregon being ahead of Alabama. They've had a weak schedule, but so have we. If we're #6 then they'll be #5.
As of right now, Alabama's schedule is flat out terrible. By the numbers, Oregon's is WAY better.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

The Georgia loss is a bad one. I don't think the committee will overlook that. I also agree about the Alabama loss but the SEC bias combined with past national championship in last 5 years will keep them at 4. I think Oregon will be number 5. At the end of the day. If Oregon wins out I think they will pass Alabama. The one loss they have at home combined with Oregon winning 11 straight will push Oregon past them. Just my two cents. The other thing is Oregon will be a conference champion.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Tray Dub wrote:That format doesn't work. After the first round you'd have six teams left, so you'd need two more byes.
You're right. Top 8 it is
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:The Georgia loss is a bad one. I don't think the committee will overlook that. I also agree about the Alabama loss but the SEC bias combined with past national championship in last 5 years will keep them at 4. I think Oregon will be number 5. At the end of the day. If Oregon wins out I think they will pass Alabama. The one loss they have at home combined with Oregon winning 11 straight will push Oregon past them. Just my two cents. The other thing is Oregon will be a conference champion.
Hope you are right about being a conference champion. I am concerned that many fans are overlooking Utah. Ducks have always had trouble with the Utes. Not being a downer but I hate to get a head of things. Just my two cents.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

northbeachsf wrote:What it will be on Tuesday:
1) LSU
2) OSU
3) Clemson
4) Alabama
5) Georgia
6) Oregon
7) Penn State
8) Utah
9) Oklahoma
10) Minnesota

What it should be:
1) LSU - Four Top 25 wins, no losses, and easily the best resume.
2) OSU - Dominating teams, no losses, and their opponents combined winning percentage is 58%, best in the Top 10.
3) Minnesota - Their schedule was iffy, but they now have a Top 5 win and no losses. No other team below them on this list can say that.
4) Clemson - Was not playing well, but scoring 42 first half points and giving up none is a solid statement. No losses.
5) Penn State - Have wins against two ranked teams and a loss to an undefeated team that should be in the Top 5 right now.
6) Oregon - No losses in league play, their opponents combined winning percentage is 56%, which is second best to OSU. Second most wins vs. teams with winning records. One loss to a Top 15 team in the first game on a neutral field with significant injuries.
7) Georgia - Have beat two ranked teams, but also have the worst loss of all the Top 10 teams. South Carolina is a bad, bad loss.
8) Utah - No great wins, but no bad losses either. Opponents combined winning percentage is 50%.
9) Alabama - Opponents combined winning percentage is 39%, good for worst in the Top 10. Zero wins against ranked teams. Gave up 46 points at home last week. Not only do they play FCS schools, they play bad ones.
10) Baylor - Baylor is not a great team, but their defense is better than Oklahoma's. The same crappy schedule as Oklahoma, but with no losses.
I agree on your lists, both will & should. Apparently, Minnesota jumping from 17 to 10, would be the biggest one game shift to date in this CFP. It would be nice if the Committee does, as they proclaim to do, and see each week alone. But, they will probably hold off on moving Minnesota higher than 10 because they were 17 going in.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

Good news is:
georgia plays LSU
OSU plays minnesota
Oklahoma plays baylor

The teams that could be ahead of the dux will sort themselves out. If oregon wins out it UO should be in.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

I think Minnesota will surprise and will bein the top 4. I mean yeah they were far back but they have a quality win and should be in. If not and Bama is 4th then it just continues to prove the SEC Bias. They have beaten straight bad teams.
Return Of the Quack!
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duckattack7 wrote:I think Minnesota will surprise and will bein the top 4. I mean yeah they were far back but they have a quality win and should be in. If not and Bama is 4th then it just continues to prove the SEC Bias. They have beaten straight bad teams.
It will definitely be a litmus test for the committee. I don't remember who it was but some guys on ESPN were talking and said, that the loss against LSU shouldn't hurt Alabama; everybody wants to see the rematch of that one, and that the 4 best teams are obviously, LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, and for the rematch, Alabama.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Merganzer wrote:
Duckattack7 wrote:I think Minnesota will surprise and will bein the top 4. I mean yeah they were far back but they have a quality win and should be in. If not and Bama is 4th then it just continues to prove the SEC Bias. They have beaten straight bad teams.
It will definitely be a litmus test for the committee. I don't remember who it was but some guys on ESPN were talking and said, that the loss against LSU shouldn't hurt Alabama; everybody wants to see the rematch of that one, and that the 4 best teams are obviously, LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, and for the rematch, Alabama.
Unfortunately I don’t see Alabama falling far and still in the top four, because....... well they are Alabama.... I hope Ducks are at 6.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

Alan wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
Unfortunately I don’t see Alabama falling far and still in the top four, because....... well they are Alabama.... I hope Ducks are at 6.
That’s criminal for someone to say that. I wonder what happens if Bama wins out, Georgia wins out and beats LSU and LSU wins out until the title game. :lol: They will be calling for 3 teams to get in and we wouldn’t really know how good they are since they would pretty much play each other. But auburn is going to beat Georgia and I’m less worried about Bama if we win out and beat a top ranked Utah team. I hope we get to find out, just win boys !
Return Of the Quack!
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Zyme wrote:Good news is:
georgia plays LSU
OSU plays minnesota
Oklahoma plays baylor

The teams that could be ahead of the dux will sort themselves out. If oregon wins out it UO should be in.
Exactly! This all sorts itself out! I would add that there is no way Bama gets in unless LSU has a meltdown and/or there is complete chaos and you have multiple conference champions with 2 or more loses.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

So I haven't read any of this thread but I had a dream where all these posters were asking what does Grandpaduck think about Oregon's playoff chances.

So here it is. It is a fundamentally flawed system that always excludes one or more major conference champions. It also often excludes undefeated qualified teams. My hope is that this year Oregon gets in and enough blue bloods are left out that it cause such a stink they finally expand the system. LSU Versus Clemson & undefeated Minnesota versus Oregon. Meanwhile one loss Ohio State and Alabama and undefeated Baylor sit out.

Since I have added nothing to the actual question of what are Oregon's chances, I'll just go take a nap and create your thunderously approving replies in my next dream.