Can you recall a worse officiated game?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Can you recall a worse officiated game?

Post by GrantDuck »

I've watched football for about 33 years(that I can remember) and that was the single worst officiated game I've ever seen. There's more but a sampling:
-A false start where the Oregon OL didn't move and the Coug DL crashed into him, which killed a late drive.
-A pass interference penalty where the Coug WR grabbed our dude around the neck to prevent him from getting a pick 6.
-A 15 yard penalty on Cristobal for arguing another horse manure PI call and the Coug player was out of bounds, where the refs went back and confirmed that Cristobal was right, but still gave him the penalty.
-A play where the ref signaled 2 holds on Washington State and said"on the defense" and read the numbers, but then moved the ball back for Oregon, then had to run back out and say "correction on the offense".
-reviews that took like 10 minutes+

Glad Oregon won, I'll take it, but also F Larry Scott and F Kevin Mar.
jimmy12
Senior

Re: Can you recall a worse officiated game?

Post by jimmy12 »

I have not seen many games where the officiating actually could have changed the course of the game multiple times! They literally kept WAZZU in it. Shocking
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I have seen some poor officiating crews in my life. Last night was near the top if not the worst. I remember two different games one around 2008 or so against Cal and one in the early 2000s against USC. The one frustrating thing I have seen is there is nothing a coach can do about poor officiating. They can not file a protest or anything, even if the officiating costs them the game. They get fined big money if they spout off about the officiating even if it is deserved. I agree that they should not cry about the refs every game but when even the announcers think the officiating missed some calls, then it should be clearly looked at. Personally I don't think that officiating crew last night should be allowed to officiate another Pac 12 game. Oregon benefitted by a no call pass interference against Graham on near the last possession of the game. He had a hand on the receivers back before ball got there. It was close and those calls will be missed sometimes. The pass interference against Lenoir when the receiver had his arms around Lenoir's neck is inexcusable and should never be missed. It was completely blatant.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I don't often complain about the refs, but a few of their calls last night were so bad it left me dumbfounded and jaw dropped. The phantom movement by Sewell and WSU's sales job was terrible, Sewell did move his arm but I don't believe it was anything illegal. The PI on Lenoir was so bad it was beyond excuse, I can understand not reversing the unsportsmanlike on Cristobal, not that is was right it came from another missed call. Why is it the laughing stock of power 5 refs cannot be fixed? Year after year of this while the other conferences seem to get by? I'm not a fan of Scott at all but how hard is it to hire a qualified person and say fix this? National tv audience but with the late start on a few on the west coast were awake to see it.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Maybe a couple of high school games...seriously the refs in the pac-12 are the worst in D-1 and it's not even close.

Fire Larry Scott!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I don’t know if it was incompetence or corruption, but no way that officiating crew should ever be allowed to officiate another college football game. If Ringo and other too CB’s go elsewhere because they want to avoid Pac-12 refs, then I wouldn’t blame them at all. On national TV those fools embarrassed the entire conference.
Jesseisabeast
One Star Recruit

Post by Jesseisabeast »

Everybody across the nation thinks their officials are the worst. The mighty SEC had 2 games last week where huge calls cost South Carolina and Tennessee and the fans think it’s rigged to protect the highly ranked teams. One thing is certain. As an official you need to at least appear to be in command. Make the calls and move on. Keeping the pace and flow is as much a part as the calls.....the league will say these calls were technically right because of rule 758.3567yada yada yada......the refs look slow stupid and corrupt. Maybe the league could at least get them to make their awful calls quicker and more decisively. The ESPN halftime show literally started making fun of the refs haha
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

No. It was the worst.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Jesseisabeast wrote:Everybody across the nation thinks their officials are the worst. The mighty SEC had 2 games last week where huge calls cost South Carolina and Tennessee and the fans think it’s rigged to protect the highly ranked teams. One thing is certain. As an official you need to at least appear to be in command. Make the calls and move on. Keeping the pace and flow is as much a part as the calls.....the league will say these calls were technically right because of rule 758.3567yada yada yada......the refs look slow stupid and corrupt. Maybe the league could at least get them to make their awful calls quicker and more decisively. The ESPN halftime show literally started making fun of the refs haha
This. Wrong calls are one thing; they happen fairly often in every league at every level, but last nights crew looked incompetent and flat out lost at times. Officials will always miss calls, no matter what is done, but you just cannot field crews who clearly don’t know how to do their job. Last night’s officiating was a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I first watched football with my Dad way back when TV was black and white and there were no replays. That is many decades. The officials last night were the worst I have seen in all my years of watching. They made bad calls, missed calls, changed calls, were confused and disorganized, and took so damned long on reviews when the plays in question were clear one way or another. It is one think to complain about a call or two, but last night there were so many that I was absolutely confounded. At the very least that crew should be called out and disciplined, but we know that Larry Scott does not care. He is as bad if not worse than his officials.
Some of the calls were so bad it was ludicrous and I shook my head a hell of a lot. I went outside so my wife would not hear me hollering and cursing.

Do you remember "Glasses"? We thought he was lousy and he was, but this team last night made he look like the champion of officials. Fans of others teams who watched the game, commented on forums about how terrible was the officiating. These are people who had no attachment to the outcome of the game. So my mind is boggled. How can a crew be so crappy, so confused, so egregiously wrong?
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

The two games I mentioned above were very poorly officiated. I don't know the specific year for either of them but I know after the game it was bad. The USC game was when Reggie Bush was there. There was one play where USC was driving and near the end zone in front of us. There was a blatant block in the back that should have been called and it was clear as day on the big screen. That was one of many. To the original post am not sure seen one so bad as last night. Another game where was horrible officiating was against Oklahoma. Bob Stoops spent half the game on the field but never once got called. Another play where the play clock went all the way down to zero before ball was snapped by their center. Should have been delay of game but was not called and Oklahoma scored a touch down. That game still sticks in my mind because the almighty ESPN did a hack job on Oregon. They complained about the officiating deciding the game and costing Oklahoma the win, but not one time did they ever mention was horrible calls that benefitted Oklahoma. I lost a lot of respect for ESPN that day as it was clear they were very biased.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Yeah, I would agree that this was the worst game. I am still be bit shocked Oregon overcame those calls and won.

I can only imagine the vitriol I would be spewing had WSU actually won with all of the incompetent calls favoring them...
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Actually, i'm coming around to the idea that, given the quality of officiating last night, MC's call to center the ball and kick it for the win makes a twisted sort of sense.

Think about it... Dive for it on fourth down, and you have the potential for a judgement call by these buffoons, plus an exhaustive review that has more potential for disaster.

By kicking it, the judgement never entered into the equation. It's between the uprights, no flags thrown?

Game, Set... Match.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

woundedknees wrote:Actually, i'm coming around to the idea that, given the quality of officiating last night, MC's call to center the ball and kick it for the win makes a twisted sort of sense.

Think about it... Dive for it on fourth down, and you have the potential for a judgement call by these buffoons, plus an exhaustive review that has more potential for disaster.

By kicking it, the judgement never entered into the equation. It's between the uprights, no flags thrown?

Game, Set... Match.
Seems logical, although I'm surprised they didn't throw a flag for some stupid reason