Can you recall a worse officiated game?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ncduck
Senior

Re: Can you recall a worse officiated game?

Post by ncduck »

They were even bad at spotting the ball. It was regularly spotted a couple of feet short of where Oregon players would go down. Between that and the horrible calls, I could actually see where someone could question whether point shaving was a possibility. I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but it was just so egregiously bad it’s almost harder to believe they could be so incompetent.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

ncduck wrote:They were even bad at spotting the ball. It was regularly spotted a couple of feet short of where Oregon players would go down. Between that and the horrible calls, I could actually see where someone could question whether point shaving was a possibility. I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but it was just so egregiously bad it’s almost harder to believe they could be so incompetent.
With how bad the pac12 officiating is I've often wondered if it's actually been happening
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

It wasn't just the bad calls, it was the overall incompetence. The replays taking 10 minutes. The calling 2 holds on the defense that were on the offense. The spots were awful all game. I'm still steamed about it today.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

ncduck wrote:They were even bad at spotting the ball. It was regularly spotted a couple of feet short of where Oregon players would go down. Between that and the horrible calls, I could actually see where someone could question whether point shaving was a possibility. I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but it was just so egregiously bad it’s almost harder to believe they could be so incompetent.
I was at the game and never saw the replay, but I wondered about that spot on 3rd down where Herbert slid. It seemed like he knew where the first down was and slid accordingly, but then they marked him short. Pretty big call as it killed an early drive.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Bottom line is nothing will be done. It will be nice if was some consequence for multiple horrific calls but I just find it hard to believe anything will be done. We have heard it time and time and time again that they all get evaluated. That is all fine and dandy but when they are as bad as they were, there needs to be something more than just being evaluated. I have zero confidence in there being anything done about it. As fans we can all complain vehemently on here, but none of it will make an ounce of difference. There is no recourse for anyone to take. Officials are above any rules. Coaches are punished or fined for saying anything. Is zero accountability.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

You know how to fix this? And they won't but seriously, players/coaches have to sit before the media every single night and explain their decisions yet referees just race off the field and hide and if anyone says anything, they get fined.

Simple fix, make THEM sit before the media for 30 minutes every single night after a game and with the replay overhead, explain their calls, or lack thereof. Problem will solve itself. But of course they won't have to because I have long thought there is serious corruption on all levels of football which is why they protect the referees who ultimately decide the outcome of games based on extremely questionable methods and motivations.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2019/10/26/ ... every-game

A Hussy perspective:

Refs give Oregon every win.

Posted by Cityboy91 on Oct 26, 2019 | 11:19 PM
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Merganzer wrote:https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2019/10/26/ ... every-game

A Hussy perspective:

Refs give Oregon every win.

Posted by Cityboy91 on Oct 26, 2019 | 11:19 PM
What I got from that was a guy that writes for a college football website has no interest in college football unless it's Washington; and even then, only if Washington is still relevant in a major bowl possibility. Dude lost any credibility he might've had with that article
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Collect enough signatures around the league with fans from different schools to petition the baffon larry scott. He probably wouldn't do anything but at least the ADs from the schools would know they've got very unhappy fans and students because of scott's incompetence and s*** job he's allowing with the officiating.

You know its bad when even the ESPN commentators are repeatedly baffled and ridiculing the officiating in the game on air.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Phalanx wrote:
I was at the game and never saw the replay, but I wondered about that spot on 3rd down where Herbert slid. It seemed like he knew where the first down was and slid accordingly, but then they marked him short. Pretty big call as it killed an early drive.
I thought there were some questionable spots but that they were right by the rule on the Herbert slide. The spot on a QB slide is where the ball is when the QB begins a slide motion. It is a tough spot to make for officials, almost every QB seems to misunderstand it, but Herbert was behind the line when he began his slide motion.

This crew was consistently conservative in their spots, like umpires with a tight strike zone.

They were also very slow with their communication and though the head referee blew the announcements a couple of times the calling official had it right. I give them a low grade in this area for moving the game along.

A problem with a WSU game is there are dozens of borderline holds and pass interference calls every game. On each of those borderline plays somebodies fan base is going to be pissed. In this game both fan bases think they got jobbed so at least there is that. Even on the PI call on Lenoir that Mario blew up on there was borderline contact by Lenoir preceding the egregious offensive pass interference by the WSU receiver. If the Ref had already decided to make the call on Lenoir though ticky tacky as it may have been, what the WSU receiver did after that point doesn't matter. By rule it's who interfered first not who interfered most.

To me the worse officiated games are those in which the bad calls or all the borderline calls go against one team and that team loses a close game. I've seen dozens (or hundreds) of those games. Since Oregon won and unlike the WSU fans I don't thing the Refs calls decided the game for the winner, I cant put this game in the worse category except for their clumsiness.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

After rewatch, the field judge was the main culprit. He screwed up the first PI non PI call on Lenoir. He also screwed up the offensive PI in the 4th quarter and he is the one who threw the flag on Graham for a ‘late hit’.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

In terms of awful officiating, it's always been a race between the Pac-10/12 and the SEC. I've always separated the two as follows:

SEC officiating is corrupt, Pac-12 officiating is just incompetent. Hard to say which is worse.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Thurston wrote:In terms of awful officiating, it's always been a race between the Pac-10/12 and the SEC. I've always separated the two as follows:

SEC officiating is corrupt, Pac-12 officiating is just incompetent. Hard to say which is worse.
Oooor is the pac12 officiating actually so good that they're corrupt, but they disguise it by making looking like they're incompetent?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Jesseisabeast wrote:Everybody across the nation thinks their officials are the worst. The mighty SEC had 2 games last week where huge calls cost South Carolina and Tennessee and the fans think it’s rigged to protect the highly ranked teams. One thing is certain. As an official you need to at least appear to be in command. Make the calls and move on. Keeping the pace and flow is as much a part as the calls.....the league will say these calls were technically right because of rule 758.3567yada yada yada......the refs look slow stupid and corrupt. Maybe the league could at least get them to make their awful calls quicker and more decisively. The ESPN halftime show literally started making fun of the refs haha
This. Wrong calls are one thing; they happen fairly often in every league at every level, but last nights crew looked incompetent and flat out lost at times. Officials will always miss calls, no matter what is done, but you just cannot field crews who clearly don’t know how to do their job. Last night’s officiating was a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, they were so lost.

That call in Sewell was insane. I lost it after that..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13