#7 Oregon @ USC (Nov. 2, Sat 5 PM Fox)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

brich75
Senior

Re: #7 Oregon @ USC (Nov. 2, Sat 5 PM Fox)

Post by brich75 »

chapelhillduck wrote:One more positive....small sample size but I actually felt OK with Shough in the game after JH went down. Not like previous years where I was terrified that we wouldn’t be able to move the ball at all. His ball is noticeably slower than JH, but he’s a confident kid and puts the ball in catchable places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shough is going to be a star!
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

I absolutely loved seeing Brady Breeze get a pick six, he is like Herbert where he grew up loving the ducks! Always great when Hometown boys shine!
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

brich75 wrote:
chapelhillduck wrote:One more positive....small sample size but I actually felt OK with Shough in the game after JH went down. Not like previous years where I was terrified that we wouldn’t be able to move the ball at all. His ball is noticeably slower than JH, but he’s a confident kid and puts the ball in catchable places.

Shough is going to be a star!
I like what I see from Shough so far, I think he will be fine with the Ducks, so much will change next year but I have confidence he will develop into a very good QB, redshirt freshman, he is very good but is the next star? On a humorous note, Shough looked like a child on the field after watching Herbert and his 6’6”, 230 lb frame for the past few seasons, lol. He will be fine a heck of a lot better then our QB situation a few years ago.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Anyone know what happens to Verdell? I don’t remember seeing him after midway through second quarter?
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

brich75 wrote:Anyone know what happens to Verdell? I don’t remember seeing him after midway through second quarter?
I’m not sure that anything really happened other than game flow and Travis/Felix actually getting yards

CJ was smiling and laughing on the sidelines at the end of the game so if anything did happen, guessing it’s minor

maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Wonder what happened to Helton at halftime. It almost looks like stitches in his lip and possibly a shiner.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

brich75 wrote:Anyone know what happens to Verdell? I don’t remember seeing him after midway through second quarter?
Mastro rides the hot hand, for better or worse. It worked yesterday.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Awesome road win. I just can’t get over how mentally tough this team is under Cristobal. Past teams would have folded after that rough start. Not only did we not not fold, we completely flipped the game on its head in a matter of plays. Just love the mentality this team has under him. They’re also seems to be a genuine and intense camaraderie amongst the entire team that starts at the top and trickles down. MC knows how to establish culture.

Off the top of my head thoughts from the game:
1. Herbert was spectacular after that first pick. Haven’t watched the film but the erraticism of the last two weeks looked to be gone. Loved seeing him take off to run when we needed to. He is in his own league when he isn’t overthinking and just plays ball.
2. Juwan Johnson can be unstoppable. So excited to see what he does from here on out.
3. Redd doesn’t get nearly enough credit. He is dynamic and dependable; racking up TDs this season. That TD where he broke two tackles was probably my favorite play of the game.
3. KT gets better every game. Felt like I was watching a stud DE last night, rather than the raw freshman he’s looked like most of the season.
4. Our DBs did a great job. Obviously the picks were great but it just felt all game like our DBs > their WRs.
5. Officiating was as unpredictable and inconsistent as always. I legitimately have no idea what constitutes PI in this conference. Or any personal foul type penalty for that matter.

alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Herbert and the O started to play better after a few drives because the OL started to get some decent pass protection, opening running lanes, and not get pushed around by USC's DL and LB, like in the first few drives of the game. Great bounce back by our offense.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I am not sure anyone knows what is pass interference or personal foul is when is being officiated by a Pac 12 crew. I heard references yesterday where USC drove Herbert to the ground and got a 15 yard penalty but when Oregon did it they got nothing. I also saw a blatant pass interference on Oregon's part and it was not called that made for an easy interception and an eventual touchdown. Then I saw a USC player punch an Oregon player twice and it was not called. The Pac 12 officiating is ridiculous. Not as bad as last week but still some very suspect calls or no calls.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

My highlight would be Shough delivering a triple pancake block for his running back late in the game... :lol:
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

If the game played out differently, USC could have a pretty solid gripe with Breeze knocking down Vaughns when Lenoir had the interception. I like that our DBs are very physical though.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Ducks played rough on Saturday. It seemed like the strategy for the Oregon defense was to bump the receivers off of their route. Some of the 'bumps' turned into flat out putting them on the ground. One of those, ISM got caught for a personal foul doing it to Amon Ra St Brown, and another time Breeze bumped Vaughns off balance and he fell and Lenoir got the pick. Similarly, it seemed like the strategy was to find ways to hit Slovis and make him uncomfortable all night, and there were a few penalties, and at least one that wasn't called but should have been. The one where Troy Dye was going all WWE on him was egregious. I think though that the strategy had its effect and the Trojan receivers weren't able to run amok the way they have against other teams. In the end, I guess you live with the penalties, and some of the whining from opposing fans, and I include Joel Klatt in that number. He was obviously livid about the Lenoir pick and went on and on about it.

Oregon actually reminds me of past Stanford teams. Tough on the lines, tough quarterback, and a big receiver doing fade routes that basically can't be defended. Wright's TD return was an added element though that recalled old Oregon teams under Chip. I think this game showed the nation what Oregon can be down the stretch. We have been thinking the ducks aren't a playoff team, but they sure look like one with Juwan Johnson healthy and Wright returning kicks like that. They just became more dangerous in two areas they really weren't before.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phalanx wrote:Ducks played rough on Saturday. It seemed like the strategy for the Oregon defense was to bump the receivers off of their route. Some of the 'bumps' turned into flat out putting them on the ground. One of those, ISM got caught for a personal foul doing it to Amon Ra St Brown, and another time Breeze bumped Vaughns off balance and he fell and Lenoir got the pick. Similarly, it seemed like the strategy was to find ways to hit Slovis and make him uncomfortable all night, and there were a few penalties, and at least one that wasn't called but should have been. The one where Troy Dye was going all WWE on him was egregious. I think though that the strategy had its effect and the Trojan receivers weren't able to run amok the way they have against other teams. In the end, I guess you live with the penalties, and some of the whining from opposing fans, and I include Joel Klatt in that number. He was obviously livid about the Lenoir pick and went on and on about it.

Oregon actually reminds me of past Stanford teams. Tough on the lines, tough quarterback, and a big receiver doing fade routes that basically can't be defended. Wright's TD return was an added element though that recalled old Oregon teams under Chip. I think this game showed the nation what Oregon can be down the stretch. We have been thinking the ducks aren't a playoff team, but they sure look like one with Juwan Johnson healthy and Wright returning kicks like that. They just became more dangerous in two areas they really weren't before.
Schematically, it is like Stanford, & I think, philosophically, this is what Cristobal is building at Oregon, The tough play in the secondary is SEC , whining from the opposing fans, especially on the road, fruits of their labors. Oregon used to get grief from fans of other teams under Chip. But this is different. That was the gimmick offense and finesse. This isn't that.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Phalanx wrote:Ducks played rough on Saturday. It seemed like the strategy for the Oregon defense was to bump the receivers off of their route. Some of the 'bumps' turned into flat out putting them on the ground. One of those, ISM got caught for a personal foul doing it to Amon Ra St Brown, and another time Breeze bumped Vaughns off balance and he fell and Lenoir got the pick. Similarly, it seemed like the strategy was to find ways to hit Slovis and make him uncomfortable all night, and there were a few penalties, and at least one that wasn't called but should have been. The one where Troy Dye was going all WWE on him was egregious. I think though that the strategy had its effect and the Trojan receivers weren't able to run amok the way they have against other teams. In the end, I guess you live with the penalties, and some of the whining from opposing fans, and I include Joel Klatt in that number. He was obviously livid about the Lenoir pick and went on and on about it.

Good post! Though the unsportsmanlike conduct I'm sure weren't part of the strategy and I'm sure those got Cristobal angry. But I like what you said about Juwan Johnson, if he was healthy all season I'm sure Oregon is undefeated right now.