Ducks lose out and still make the Rose Bowl?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Ducks lose out and still make the Rose Bowl?

Post by Alan »

Is this scenario incorrect?

Ducks lose all remaining conference games, BeVs and most likely Utah.

Utah goes to playoffs (if)

We still go to RoseBowl......

If this pieces line up we still make the Rose Bowleven with a loss to Beavs and Utah.
greenyellow

Re: Ducks lose out and still make the Rose Bowl?

Post by greenyellow »

Alan wrote:Is this scenario incorrect?

If this pieces line up we still make the Rose Bowleven with a loss to Beavs and Utah.
I'm not sure that's the case. They need to at least beat the Beavs to put themselves in position for the Rose Bowl and even then, they'd only get into the Rose Bowl if they lose the CCG and Utah gets into the CFP.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I'm still not sure whether we're guaranteed the Rose Bowl if Utah makes the playoffs.

But obviously, if we lose out and Utah gets left out, they go to the Rose Bowl. It'll come down to who wins the conference championship unless the playoffs come into play.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Not sure, but I know if Oregon wins out they go to the Rose Bowl! So they should go ahead and just win out.
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

No. Oregon has to win the conference championship to make the Rose Bowl. Utah has no chance of making the playoffs if they win out with Oregon losing to ASU.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

RebelDuck wrote:No. Oregon has to win the conference championship to make the Rose Bowl. Utah has no chance of making the playoffs if they win out with Oregon losing to ASU.
This is inaccurate. "No chance." At worst, it's 50/50.
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

Maybe “no chance” is not a good choice of words but I don’t think the committee will pick Utah. Oregon’s loss just opened the door for Alabama to get in. Some will say what if Georgia beats LSU, they won’t.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:
RebelDuck wrote:No. Oregon has to win the conference championship to make the Rose Bowl. Utah has no chance of making the playoffs if they win out with Oregon losing to ASU.
This is inaccurate. "No chance." At worst, it's 50/50.
Okay, scenario, Bama, without Tua , gets beat buy Auburn, 2 loss Bama they are out. Utah wins out, beats Colorado and the Ducks in CCG, Ducks are a lock for that game, Utes are 12-1

Georgia still has to play LSU, LSU wins, 2 loss Georgia.

That should leave the top four at:
1. LSU
2. tOSU
3. Clemson (undeserving imo, sos)
4. Utah

Ducks have Locked up the North, they are going to the CCG. They lose to the Beavs, 9-3. They lose to the Utes, 9-4. Who goes to the Rose Bowl? 9-4 Ducks or 8-4 USC?

After typing this whole scenario out I can see now why beating the Beavs is a must......
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Alan wrote:Is this scenario incorrect?

I'd think the most likely scenario if the Ducks lost to the Beavers and Utah would be the Alamo or Holiday Bowls.

If they beat both, they'll still go to the Rose Bowl.

If they lose to OSU, but beat Utah, they'd still go to the Rose Bowl as conference champs.

If they beat OSU, but lose to Utah, they'd have 3 losses and would likely end up in the Cotton Bowl as the Pac-12 #2. team.
John 3:36
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Pipe dream if you think Oregon beats Utah. Utah has been playing good football. Oregon been surviving and yesterday played like a high school team. No way they beat Utah. Cristobal also does not have the balls to pull a 4 yr starter that was evidence yesterday.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

I don't think they can lose out. If they win the civil war I think they would likely go; 10-3 vs 8-4 USC. Why does everyone Think Utah can't make the CFB? They were the preseason pick to win PAC-12 and probably will with a 12-1 record(only loss to USC, not great but not bad team and game was close). Definitely help if Bama loses to Auburn.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

If Utah makes the playoff, does the #2 team in the conference automatically play in the Rose Bowl? Or does that then go to an at-large team?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

pdxduck2013 wrote:If Utah makes the playoff, does the #2 team in the conference automatically play in the Rose Bowl? Or does that then go to an at-large team?
Recent thread established it goes to the #2
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Pipe dream if you think Oregon beats Utah. Utah has been playing good football. Oregon been surviving and yesterday played like a high school team. No way they beat Utah. Cristobal also does not have the balls to pull a 4 yr starter that was evidence yesterday.
Pipe dream if you think ASU beats Oregon. Oregon has been playing good football. ASU has lost four straight. No way they beat Oregon.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Pipe dream if you think Oregon beats Utah. Utah has been playing good football. Oregon been surviving and yesterday played like a high school team. No way they beat Utah. Cristobal also does not have the balls to pull a 4 yr starter that was evidence yesterday.
Please don’t make this thread about duck bashing, it’s just a “what if”, I for one love and support my Ducks, plenty of bashing to be had in several other threads.
Last edited by Alan on Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.