Ducks lose out and still make the Rose Bowl?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Re: Ducks lose out and still make the Rose Bowl?

Post by RebelDuck »

pdxduck2013 wrote:If Utah makes the playoff, does the #2 team in the conference automatically play in the Rose Bowl? Or does that then go to an at-large team?
It goes to an at-large team and Oregon would be considered as one of those. It will come down to what the Rose Bowl officials decide/want.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

[quote="GoDucksIn09"]Pipe dream if you think Oregon beats Utah. Utah has been playing good football. Oregon been surviving and yesterday played like a high school team. No way they beat Utah. Cristobal also does not have the balls to pull a 4 yr starter that was evidence yesterday.[/quote

Might have something to do with Herbert returning for final year. Hindsight shows that was not a good thing for him. He would have been a higher pick last year. Not sure why everyone is looking to Shough. Won't he have competition from Millen and Butterfield. Are we sure who will be the QB next year?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

RebelDuck wrote:
pdxduck2013 wrote:If Utah makes the playoff, does the #2 team in the conference automatically play in the Rose Bowl? Or does that then go to an at-large team?
It goes to an at-large team and Oregon would be considered as one of those. It will come down to what the Rose Bowl officials decide/want.
Next best PAC 12 team, I would think the loser of the CCG....... maybe a 8-4 usc?
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

RebelDuck wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's this^^^^

That said, although the Rose Bowl has clearly stated a preference of a Big-10 vs Pac-12 matchup, I'd have to believe that a 2 loss Big-10 team vs a 1-2 loss at-large (Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Georgia, etc) would create a better matchup than inviting a 3 loss Oregon team.
John 3:36
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

It is the next best PAC 12 team, not an at large, that issue was cleared up in this thread a couple of weeks ago. Before the playoffs it was an at large any conference. But not with the playoff. This was a discussion in a previous thread a couple of weeks ago and I copied and pasted the rule.

“The Rose Bowl typically features the champions of the Big Ten and Pac-12 conferences. ... In years when the Rose Bowl is not a College Football Playoff semifinal game and the Big Ten or Pac-12 champion is selected to play in the College Football Playoff, the Rose Bowl Game selects the next best team in the conference.“
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

So that settles it. If Utah makes the playoff, Oregon is in the Rose Bowl.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

pdxduck2013 wrote:So that settles it. If Utah makes the playoff, Oregon is in the Rose Bowl.
This being the case, the Ducks loss hurts Utah's chance, with the Ducks now in the 12-16 range now.
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

pdxduck2013 wrote:So that settles it. If Utah makes the playoff, Oregon is in the Rose Bowl.
With that being how it’s set up, I would think the Rose Bowl select a Oregon over USC considering Oregon won the head-to-head. Bottom line is win the conference championship!
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Merganzer wrote:
This being the case, the Ducks loss hurts Utah's chance, with the Ducks now in the 12-16 range now.

I agree for Utah to make the playoffs both Bama and Georgia need to lose, both have tough games.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

RebelDuck wrote:
With that being how it’s set up, I would think the Rose Bowl select a Oregon over USC considering Oregon won the head-to-head. Bottom line is win the conference championship!
We would also have one extra win than they do too.
SuperDuck
Senior

Wait!? Is Oregon In The Rose Bowl No Matter What?

Post by SuperDuck »

I was just thinking that if the Rose Bowl is set on a Big-10 vs Pac-12 matchup, if Utah wins and makes the CFP, wouldn't the Ducks be next in line to go to the Rose Bowl anyway?
John 3:36
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Wait!? Is Oregon In The Rose Bowl No Matter What?

Post by Phenom »

SuperDuck wrote:I was just thinking that if the Rose Bowl is set on a Big-10 vs Pac-12 matchup, if Utah wins and makes the CFP, wouldn't the Ducks be next in line to go to the Rose Bowl anyway?
Yes