Other Teams Looking at Arroyo

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: Other Teams Looking at Arroyo

Post by droop10 »

Alan wrote:
maxduck wrote:Last season only one receiver could catch the ball and the theme was the play calling sucked. This year as the receivers demonstrated competence and the play calling became acceptable, sometimes even creative. Justin Herbert hits a slump and the play calling again sucks. We won't confuse Arroyo with Chip Kelly but it isn't all on him.
One thing I am certain about Arroyo as an OC, he is no Chip, he is no Helf and the mere fact I am uncertain about how much is on him tells me he probably is not the one. If we could make the adjustment during the game, mix up the play calling, if a play is working don’t use it again...... that is all on Arroyo, Herbert is on Herbert.
I recall the biggest knock on Chip from folks here is that he was stubborn and would keep calling the same plays repeatedly, even if they weren’t working. How soon everyone forgets...Chip’s offense basically consisted of calling the same 5-6 plays repeatedly in hyper speed. It was new, and teams weren’t prepared for it, but it wouldn’t be as effective today. We can see that at UCLA now, though apparently his offense has changed some. Not trying to bash on Chip as he was innovative in his time, but as time goes on people seem to forget his shortcomings that they specifically called out during his time here.

We have the best collection of offensive coordinators in the country on this board. Hopefully a few apply the next time the position opens up. Excited to see these “creative” plays I always hear about that Arroyo is not using.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

droop10 wrote:
Alan wrote:
maxduck wrote:Last season only one receiver could catch the ball and the theme was the play calling sucked. This year as the receivers demonstrated competence and the play calling became acceptable, sometimes even creative. Justin Herbert hits a slump and the play calling again sucks. We won't confuse Arroyo with Chip Kelly but it isn't all on him.
One thing I am certain about Arroyo as an OC, he is no Chip, he is no Helf and the mere fact I am uncertain about how much is on him tells me he probably is not the one. If we could make the adjustment during the game, mix up the play calling, if a play is working don’t use it again...... that is all on Arroyo, Herbert is on Herbert.
I recall the biggest knock on Chip from folks here is that he was stubborn and would keep calling the same plays repeatedly, even if they weren’t working. How soon everyone forgets...Chip’s offense basically consisted of calling the same 5-6 plays repeatedly in hyper speed. It was new, and teams weren’t prepared for it, but it wouldn’t be as effective today. We can see that at UCLA now, though apparently his offense has changed some. Not trying to bash on Chip as he was innovative in his time, but as time goes on people seem to forget his shortcomings that they specifically called out during his time here.

We have the best collection of offensive coordinators in the country on this board. Hopefully a few apply the next time the position opens up. Excited to see these “creative” plays I always hear about that Arroyo is not using.
Thank you for speaking the truth! I have held back from saying exactly what you so eloquently said. Hats off to you.

Everyone is forgetting the mess MC and staff inherited. You saw a demoralized team in the Vegas bowl two years ago. They are 10-2. Sure there are some things that can and should change. Very few of us here know the inner workings of the staff. Sure we can speculate but at the end of the day I am.sure there are very few of us here quailifed to do Cristobal's and Arriyo's jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

“If you don’t like it do it yourself” is a cheap comment made while you are walking out the door, just to think you are proving a point. I have never respected it and never will. Evidentially people feel the Ducks can do better than Arroyo...... including Mullens. Zero chance of anyone here getting the OC job........ but you know that.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:
Helf didn't call plays.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm not firmly in either camp of this. I'm just writing in to say the "Cristobal and Arroyo inherited a mess" is absolutely wrong. They had a 1st round talent at QB and an offensive line with the most starts of any in the country, with 4 pro prospects. You make your bread in the seasons where you have this kind of talent. Cupboard was not bare.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

I don't disagree with you Stevens. However they.did inherit a team thst needed a major culture change. That is a major challenge that by all accounts is/was addressed. They absolutely had talent but sometimes changing culture is a very hard thing.

duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

lmduck wrote:I don't disagree with you Stevens. However they.did inherit a team thst needed a major culture change. That is a major challenge that by all accounts is/was addressed. They absolutely had talent but sometimes changing culture is a very hard thing.

What I find funny is we will be playing Utah next week who has Oregon reject OC Andy Dudwig! Quite the offensive genius during his time here.

bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

StevensTechU wrote:I'm not firmly in either camp of this. I'm just writing in to say the "Cristobal and Arroyo inherited a mess" is absolutely wrong. They had a 1st round talent at QB and an offensive line with the most starts of any in the country, with 4 pro prospects. You make your bread in the seasons where you have this kind of talent. Cupboard was not bare.
Agreed...Plenty of factors resulted in the 2016 4-8 season, but talent was never issue. From 2016-2018, Oregon should have been an 8-9 win team based on talent. That's why Taggart's 'turnaround' never impressed me much, or why Christobal's first season didn't tell me much either...

This season? I thiiiiink things are going in the right direction (I was sure of it before the last 2 weeks)....but lets see how they close things out. A loss to Utah followed by another pathetic bowl showing (yes, last years 7-6 bowl win was pathetic) would leave me doubting the coaching in particular...
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

If the loss is in the Rose Bowl to Penn State or Wisconsin, it will be interesting how it gets spun from the media. Those are 2 really good football teams. I said before would like a shot at Penn State. I think we match up better against them.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

StevensTechU wrote:I'm not firmly in either camp of this. I'm just writing in to say the "Cristobal and Arroyo inherited a mess" is absolutely wrong. They had a 1st round talent at QB and an offensive line with the most starts of any in the country, with 4 pro prospects. You make your bread in the seasons where you have this kind of talent. Cupboard was not bare.
The cupboard was bare at certain positions--walk ons playing at linebacker, for example. But more broadly, the team was well below 85 scholarship players--just because there are a few strong players at the top of the depth chart doesn't mean Helfrich did a good job with the roster. Every P5 program has a few guys that can play. Helfrich didn't recruit depth. You can't judge a roster by the best 5 or 10 players.

Going 3-9 in 2016 wasn't an accident or a fluke.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

droop10 wrote:
Alan wrote:

Hey droop. You should go to fishduck and check out the old articles on chip’s offense. There was waaaaay more than 5-6 plays. So many wrinkles. Chip did have the benefit of being an innovator, but his offense was full of counter strategies and constantly evolving.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

So anyway, Oregon's offense is going to be a massive rebuild next year, the biggest I can remember. If I were Arroyo I would get while the getting is good and jump on the first offer I got because this next years team has the potential to be an OCs career ender. Even a great OC might really struggle in 2020.

The most complete unit coming back is running back and frankly they aren't the type of backs who you would thrive with below average blocking. If Oregon averages over 25 per game next year, I'll declare the OC a genius. I have tons of sympathy for whoever has the job next year especially if they are required by the head Coach to play smash mouth small ball.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

GrandpaDuck wrote:So anyway, Oregon's offense is going to be a massive rebuild next year, the biggest I can remember. If I were Arroyo I would get while the getting is good and jump on the first offer I got because this next years team has the potential to be an OCs career ender. Even a great OC might really struggle in 2020.

The most complete unit coming back is running back and frankly they aren't the type of backs who you would thrive with below average blocking. If Oregon averages over 25 per game next year, I'll declare the OC a genius. I have tons of sympathy for whoever has the job next year especially if they are required by the head Coach to play smash mouth small ball.
And we have ohio state coming in next year...
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:So anyway, Oregon's offense is going to be a massive rebuild next year, the biggest I can remember. If I were Arroyo I would get while the getting is good and jump on the first offer I got because this next years team has the potential to be an OCs career ender. Even a great OC might really struggle in 2020.

OL-We lose a lot, obviously. But, we also return a top 5 pick at LT. Things could be bumpy early on, but the talent is there for the OL to be solid.

Jones has played a bunch, but the decided to redshirt him after 4 games this year. Which is big going forward. Amuve has played a lot down the stretch. Johna T will need to step up and live up to his rankings.

My biggest concer is at center.

QB- lose Herbert. But has he been great? I don't think he's as hard to replace honestly.

TE- Webb has shown that he can be a very good pass catcher. If Herbert can block, then I don't see TE being an issue. That said, depth is a concern.

WR- lose JJ6, who has had his moments. But honestly, next years WR group has the potential to be UO best ever. Reports from practice is that William's is tearing it up. Pittman needs to stay healthy, and know when to stop fighting for extra yards. But he will be a dude next year. JJ3 has become our best WR down the stretch. Redd is reliable. But see above. Know when the journey is over, DON'T stretch for the TD ever again.

RB- everyone returns
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:

OL-We lose a lot, obviously. But, we also return a top 5 pick at LT. Things could be bumpy early on, but the talent is there for the OL to be solid.

Jones has played a bunch, but the decided to redshirt him after 4 games this year. Which is big going forward. Amuve has played a lot down the stretch. Johna T will need to step up and live up to his rankings.

My biggest concer is at center.

QB- lose Herbert. But has he been great? I don't think he's as hard to replace honestly.

TE- Webb has shown that he can be a very good pass catcher. If Herbert can block, then I don't see TE being an issue. That said, depth is a concern.

WR- lose JJ6, who has had his moments. But honestly, next years WR group has the potential to be UO best ever. Reports from practice is that William's is tearing it up. Pittman needs to stay healthy, and know when to stop fighting for extra yards. But he will be a dude next year. JJ3 has become our best WR down the stretch. Redd is reliable. But see above. Know when the journey is over, DON'T stretch for the TD ever again.

RB- everyone returns
Good analysis buck, I will just add my thoughts on RB’s...... small and unimpressive, while he doesn’t get the touches as much as Dye and Verdell I like Likio the best, at least he shows power.