Re: Other Teams Looking at Arroyo

Post by chapelhillduck »

Addison has shown up lately at WR too for the most part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:If the loss is in the Rose Bowl to Penn State or Wisconsin, it will be interesting how it gets spun from the media. Those are 2 really good football teams. I said before would like a shot at Penn State. I think we match up better against them.
WTF is with all of your posts? I swear you read like a Beav fan pretending to be a Duck with every prediction all the time of a Ducks loss.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

buckmarkduck wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:So anyway, Oregon's offense is going to be a massive rebuild next year, the biggest I can remember. If I were Arroyo I would get while the getting is good and jump on the first offer I got because this next years team has the potential to be an OCs career ender. Even a great OC might really struggle in 2020.

The most complete unit coming back is running back and frankly they aren't the type of backs who you would thrive with below average blocking. If Oregon averages over 25 per game next year, I'll declare the OC a genius. I have tons of sympathy for whoever has the job next year especially if they are required by the head Coach to play smash mouth small ball.
OL-We lose a lot, obviously. But, we also return a top 5 pick at LT. Things could be bumpy early on, but the talent is there for the OL to be solid.

Jones has played a bunch, but the decided to redshirt him after 4 games this year. Which is big going forward. Amuve has played a lot down the stretch. Johna T will need to step up and live up to his rankings.

My biggest concer is at center.

QB- lose Herbert. But has he been great? I don't think he's as hard to replace honestly.

TE- Webb has shown that he can be a very good pass catcher. If Herbert can block, then I don't see TE being an issue. That said, depth is a concern.

WR- lose JJ6, who has had his moments. But honestly, next years WR group has the potential to be UO best ever. Reports from practice is that William's is tearing it up. Pittman needs to stay healthy, and know when to stop fighting for extra yards. But he will be a dude next year. JJ3 has become our best WR down the stretch. Redd is reliable. But see above. Know when the journey is over, DON'T stretch for the TD ever again.

RB- everyone returns
If we get a QB that is willing to run, I would say next year's replacement might actually be an improvement. I think taking away that dimension from the offense has been hard on the running game.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

If going to attack my posts for merely considering all possibilities. I said if the ducks lose the Rose Bowl. I also said that Oregon matches up better against Penn State. Before even begin attacking my posts maybe better read all of them. Here are the facts, I have picked Oregon every game since Washington. That will change against Utah for sure. I am not alone in that. You best read all the posts and not pick and choose what you want to read. If can not do that, if can not accept criticism then you can plainly block me. I will not lose any sleep over it. Your choice. End of story.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Shough will be good. I don’t know if he’ll ever be the pro prospect that Herbert is but I can see him being a better college QB.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Phenom wrote:Shough will be good. I don’t know if he’ll ever be the pro prospect that Herbert is but I can see him being a better college QB.

At this point he could win back to back Heismans as far we know. Or he could be just good and not be able to show it if either the coaching is as suspect as some think or if the new offensive line has a hole or two or three in the dike. Or the horror of both those things happening. Or he could be the next coming of Jeff Lockie who was completing 75% of his passes in his mop up duties until he got thrown in the fire for real.

The most likely probability is he'll be an average QB as most are. But as even the green goggled optimists can only come up with one sure thing, one likely, and four hopes and prayers to fill the minimum of 6 spots on the offensive line the odds are overwhelming that whoever the QB is next year will been under severe pressure and will often be throwing in adverse down and distance due to a run game that will likely be stuffed often. They were stuffed often this year with a great line.

It is possible but pretty damn rare to replace 5 of your top 6 linemen without some serious growing pains. Even Stanford wasn't immune from it this year.
Last edited by GrandpaDuck on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Post by hjpop »

Any one have tape or reviews on Butterfield? We know (a little) about Shough but Millen was out with an injury so he didn't have any playing time in the Spring Game. Yaffe seeing the field during game time would be a disaster.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
Phenom wrote:Shough will be good. I don’t know if he’ll ever be the pro prospect that Herbert is but I can see him being a better college QB.

At this point he could win back to back Heismans as far we know. Or he could be just good and not be able to show it if either the coaching is as suspect as some think or if the new offensive line has a hole or two or three in the dike. Or the horror of both those things happening. Or he could be the next coming of Jeff Lockie who was completing 75% of his passes in his mop up duties until he got thrown in the fire for real.

The most likely probability is he'll be an average QB as most are. But as even the green goggled optimists can only come up with one sure thing, one likely, and four hopes and prayers to fill the minimum of 6 spots on the offensive line the odds are overwhelming that whoever the QB is next year will been under severe pressure and will often be throwing in adverse down and distance due to a run game that will likely be stuffed often. They were stuffed often this year with a great line.

It is possible but pretty damn rare to replace 5 of your top 6 linemen without some serious growing pains. Even Stanford wasn't immune from it this year.
Shough has looked way better than Lockie ever did.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

hjpop wrote:Any one have tape or reviews on Butterfield? We know (a little) about Shough but Millen was out with an injury so he didn't have any playing time in the Spring Game. Yaffe seeing the field during game time would be a disaster.
I have watched all of the available film online of Butterfield and pretty much agree with 247's evaluation of him, which is the following...

"Has physical upside with a slender frame that can add weight. Can make all of the throws. Can easily throw downfield, but also chips away with shorter and intermediate throws. Father played in Pac-10 and NFL. High football IQ with incredible poise and pocket awareness. Is a pure pocket passer, who throws with timing and great anticipation. Extremely polished. Projects as multi-year Power 5 starter and as a late second-day pick/early third-day pick in the NFL draft."

On the negative side, Butterfield isn't a great athlete so he isn't going to make many plays at the college level with his feet. From what I recall, he had one of the lowest combine scores at the event he attended, which speaks to his overall lack of athleticism and his need to gain some weight/strength. For what it is worth, Nick Foles is the comparison that 247 used for Butterfield.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Speculation from College Football News

UNLV
Former Head Coach: Tony Sanchez
Level of New Head Coach Prospect: Top FBS assistant
Total Speculation Next Head Coach Will Be: Marcus Arroyo, Oregon offensive coordinator

UNLV is a tough job to take over, but Arroyo has more than put in his time and effort to work his way up to getting a head coaching job. A terrific offensive coordinator and position coach, he’s been at Oregon for the last three seasons and will be on several short lists for Group of Five openings.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/12 ... s-hot-seat
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Just wondering, from what, where does, "College Football News" derive that Arroyo is a terrific OC? Judgements from here aside has he put up numbers that merit such a distinction?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Merganzer wrote:Just wondering, from what, where does, "College Football News" derive that Arroyo is a terrific OC? Judgements from here aside has he put up numbers that merit such a distinction?
Our O stats are pretty good.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phenom wrote:
Merganzer wrote:Just wondering, from what, where does, "College Football News" derive that Arroyo is a terrific OC? Judgements from here aside has he put up numbers that merit such a distinction?
Our O stats are pretty good.
That being the case, perhaps the calling for the team to have any success in the future rests on running Arroyo out needs to take a rest. Laymen can see, especially in hindsight, problems n Arroyo's play calling. But, there could be some of needing to make a move just to make one, involved with replacing him.
ICamel
Two Star Recruit

Post by ICamel »

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/un ... k-1907239/
UNLV athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois’ search for a football coach likely will go well into next week..............There also are conference championship games Friday and Saturday, and potential candidates could be coaching and not available until after this weekend. Two of them could be coaching in the Pac-12 Championship on Friday in Santa Clara, California — Oregon offensive coordinator Marcus Arroyo and Utah defensive coordinator Morgan Scalley.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

ICamel wrote:https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/un ... k-1907239/
UNLV athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois’ search for a football coach likely will go well into next week..............There also are conference championship games Friday and Saturday, and potential candidates could be coaching and not available until after this weekend. Two of them could be coaching in the Pac-12 Championship on Friday in Santa Clara, California — Oregon offensive coordinator Marcus Arroyo and Utah defensive coordinator Morgan Scalley.
Is there anyway that UNLV can accelerate the process and "steal" Arroyo before 5:00 today?