At the end of the day a W is a W

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: At the end of the day a W is a W

Post by buckmarkduck »

wepto wrote:This has been an amazing year. Negaducks are getting to me--already got in argument with one moron on reddit who doesn't think players should fight for the pylon.
Players who have done that same thing before, shouldn't be fighting for the pylon ever again. He keeps the ball secure, and we are inside the 1 yard line.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

This post is not directed at anyone at all, so please do not take offense. I do not understand the discontent on a 10-2 regular season, it is like you are saying “never mind the 10-2, we did not win pretty enough”. I hate to use the word or point a finger and THINK someone is spoiled but I think some want Herbert to be everything Marcus was and this team to be just as dominant as Chip’s teams. Bottom line and all that matters Ducks are 10-2, if you still doubt, look at Bama’s record, look at how many teams in the power five are 10-2 or better, look at the Ducks the last few years. As the OP stated, a W is a W.
Last edited by Alan on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

This has been a fairly odd season in terms of the fan base. Start of the year very few fans thought we would be good enough for the CFP; as soon as we were in the mix though, the mentality became CFP or bust. I’ve never seen so many mega ducks on this board, spamming every thread with posts about how bad the team is.

We’re 10-2 with a single road loss in conference, a conference that is deceptively tough because of the parity. The proof is in the pudding. This is a really good team, and Cristobal and staff have done a fantastic job.

I don’t think we have any reason we be shaking in our boots about Utah either. They’re an extremely solid team but if Herbert’s on I don’t think they’re on our level (see USC game for “on” Herbert). My hope is that we at least get a Herbert that is somewhat on and win a close game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

On one of TOS they were talking about how the last 2 weeks, the offense has been bad. If was to ask a lot of people 4 weeks ago after the USC game they would think the Utah vs Oregon is what they were hoping for. Now they get to play the game. Utah has looked solid the whole year. Oregon did until 2 weeks ago. I think the concern is not so much about whether the team is 10-2 as much as it is about how the offense has been missing in action the last 2 weeks. It is not as if we been playing stellar defenses. Oregon State is near the bottom of the Pac 12 in defense. Can anyone really be happy with 3 drives in plus territory and 0 points from those drives. Not to mention a 4 yr starting quarterback going against that defense and not even getting 200 yards passing.

I am glad we beat the bark rats. I do think the concerns going forward against a good defense and a solid team like Utah are warranted though. The offense has been offensive the last 2 weeks and that is a combination of coaching and players not executing. They play like they have the last 2 weeks and it will be a blow out.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I'm not "discontented," but I don't think this team is as good as most ten-win teams. I think this team has played more like an 8 or 9 win team. That's just what I'm seeing with my eyes. Doesn't mean I don't like the team or I'm not happy for our guys or whatever, it just means I've been a bit disappointed by how good we've actually played, since I had high hopes for Herbert and Dye's last seasons.

All that said, this has been a good year in my book. It's just more of a B+ than an A.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

If you had asked people if they would be happy with 10 wins at the of the year With out away schedule they would be ecstatic. Look at us now...
laxattack22
One Star Recruit

Post by laxattack22 »

The coaches have known many important games remained on the schedule since the Arizona win, and that the season was far from over. I suspect ASU was game planned thinking there was no need to lift up the skirt and show anything new. Ooops. There will be new wrinkles in both the offense and defense this season. The team needs it, Arroyo needs it, recruiting needs it... and the coaches will deliver. Bank on it.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

buckmarkduck wrote:
wepto wrote:This has been an amazing year. Negaducks are getting to me--already got in argument with one moron on reddit who doesn't think players should fight for the pylon.
Players who have done that same thing before, shouldn't be fighting for the pylon ever again. He keeps the ball secure, and we are inside the 1 yard line.
I remember being at Autzen for a game against Cal and a wide receiver made the same exact play, with the same resulting call. My old brain can’t recall the player or the year, but the memory of it came crashing back last night.

duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

duckduckgoose wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
I remember being at Autzen for a game against Cal and a wide receiver made the same exact play, with the same resulting call. My old brain can’t recall the player or the year, but the memory of it came crashing back last night.

If I recall correctly it was Cam Colvin who fumbled the ball out of the end zone but it’s still hazy. Anyone?

lmduck

Post by lmduck »

It was colvin.

GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Yes it was Cam Colvin. He fumbled through the end zone which results in a touchback. Players need to be certain the ball breaks the plane of the goal line if they are going to extend the ball to try to reach the goal line. If they lose the ball in the process before breaks the plane and goes through the end zone then it comes out to the 20.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Hindsight bias.

Nearly every game a player for one team or the other ends up fighting for the pylon. Yet, despite this, losing the ball to a touchback remains a relatively rare play. Getting stopped at the 1 is a considerably more common outcome than losing possession due to a touchback.

It's the same thing as criticizing a guy who gets stripped fighting for YAC after a long run--you don't like the outcome, but the behavior (fighting for more yards) is still a net positive for the team.
Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Post by Blazers-1977 »

Merganzer wrote:
What happened to the Beavers in 2006-2009 they were a pretty good team and in 2012 they were just a 3 point loss to Washington and a 4 point loss to Stanford from being 11-0 entering the Civil War and if Oregon also took care of business the civil war in 2012 basically would have been 2009 on steroids except this time winner goes to BCS Title Game while loser goes to Rose/Fiesta Bowl. At the time I thought the Civil War game could finally have the same significance as Alabama-LSU has .

I think it would be very beneficial for the Ducks to have a rival which is a great team as it makes that win mean a lot more than it does now.