Ducks could play spoiler

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Everythingsducky
Senior

Ducks could play spoiler

Post by Everythingsducky »

With Bama losing to Auburn today, the Utes have a clear path (if their lead on Colorado holds) to the playoff. Let’s beat the sheet out of Utah, and take out some frustration from the ASU loss.
bb3065
Two Star Recruit

Re: Ducks could play spoiler

Post by bb3065 »

Semi-crazy scenario but what if:

Okla State beats Oklahoma tonight

And

Oregon beats Utah

LSU beats Georgia

Oklahoma beats Baylor

Who gets in? Oregon would re-enter the conversation, but I would say Georgia stays at 4 based on the teams they’ve beat. It would make for some crazy theater on selection day. Thoughts?
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

bb3065 wrote:Semi-crazy scenario but what if:

And

Oregon beats Utah

LSU beats Georgia

Oklahoma beats Baylor

Who gets in? Oregon would re-enter the conversation, but I would say Georgia stays at 4 based on the teams they’ve beat. It would make for some crazy theater on selection day. Thoughts?
That would be chaos.
Last edited by SuperDuck on Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John 3:36
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ He has Oklahoma losing to ok state
bb3065
Two Star Recruit

Post by bb3065 »

SuperDuck wrote:
bb3065 wrote:Semi-crazy scenario but what if:

And

Oregon beats Utah

LSU beats Georgia

Oklahoma beats Baylor

Oklahoma would get in as a one loss Big-12 champ over a 2 loss Georgia.

Oklahoma would be a two-loss champ in this scenario.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Dang, you guys are fast!!! I just went back to edit it. Lol
John 3:36
bb3065
Two Star Recruit

Post by bb3065 »

SuperDuck wrote:Dang, you guys are fast!!! I just went back to edit it. Lol
Sorry! Just saw it after I sent it.

I personally think it would come down to Oregon, Oklahoma, or Georgia and who gets in may depend on style points.

If Oregon or Oklahoma beats the snot out of their opponent next week, and this scenario plays out , they will have an argument. If both games are close, I can see them putting in Georgia based on strength of schedule.

Of course, all is moot if Oklahoma holds on in Stillwater, but by god I hope it happens. I love chaos!
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Spoiler? We’re no scrubs, we’re playing for a conference title and a trip to the Rose Bowl.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Based on the last 2 weeks I don't see any way Oregon beats Utah. I don't know what is wrong with the team. It is clear they don't have the motivation or the ability to adjust. The defense and special teams saved Oregon today. The game should not have been as close as it was. Utah will win by 17 or so.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Based on the last 2 weeks I don't see any way Oregon beats Utah. I don't know what is wrong with the team. It is clear they don't have the motivation or the ability to adjust. The defense and special teams saved Oregon today. The game should not have been as close as it was. Utah will win by 17 or so.
Their problem to me is a couple of things. Small backs that lack the ability to break tackles and really punch it in inside the redzone. The other problem is that herbert is not as good as everyone wants him to be. He has no pocket awareness, struggles big time with finesse throws, and is wildly inconsistent. Oregon's offense is saved by an excellent o-line. I can't wait to for a change at quarterback, if for no other reason than to see something different than herbert.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Phenom wrote:Spoiler? We’re no scrubs, we’re playing for a conference title and a trip to the Rose Bowl.
Yeah, spoiler. You know, when there is this team ranked higher than you, and can attain a goal you can’t, but you can prevent it. It’s not a new word, and it doesn’t mean the Ducks are scrubs. Stop putting words in my mouth.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Everythingsducky wrote:
Phenom wrote:Spoiler? We’re no scrubs, we’re playing for a conference title and a trip to the Rose Bowl.
Yeah, spoiler. You know, when there is this team ranked higher than you, and can attain a goal you can’t, but you can prevent it. It’s not a new word, and it doesn’t mean the Ducks are scrubs. Stop putting words in my mouth.
It's just semantics, but the word 'Spoiler' as used in sports usually implies that the team has little to play for themselves and their only motivation is to 'spoil' someone else's aspirations. It doesn't really fit here. Utah is ranked higher, but Oregon has the same conference record, and a better resume in terms of victories, by virtue of the curb-stomping of USC in their place. The only difference in record is because Utah scheduled Northern Illinois and the ducks played Auburn on the road. If the ducks win next week, they finish as outright conference champions, ahead of Utah and everyone else.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phalanx wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:
It's just semantics, but the word 'Spoiler' as used in sports usually implies that the team has little to play for themselves and their only motivation is to 'spoil' someone else's aspirations. It doesn't really fit here. Utah is ranked higher, but Oregon has the same conference record, and a better resume in terms of victories, by virtue of the curb-stomping of USC in their place. The only difference in record is because Utah scheduled Northern Illinois and the ducks played Auburn on the road. If the ducks win next week, they finish as outright conference champions, ahead of Utah and everyone else.
USC could be the spoiler in the true sense of the word. Their victory over Utah, w/o Huntley & Moss, early in the season on a Friday, will end up being the reason if Utah doesn't make the CFP after winning the Pac-12.