Pylon Question

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Pylon Question

Post by whosyourwally »

Fortunately, it didn’t decide the game this time, but I’m still very confused. In the NFL, the pylon is set up in bounds. In college, it’s set up out of bounds. We learned this last year against Stanford. Yesterday, when Redd fumbled, the ball hit the pylon, but pretty clearly didn’t break the plane of the end zone in bounds. There wasn’t really any talk about this, since the pylon was knocked over..... help? Am I just bitter or is my confusion warranted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chapelhillduck
Senior

Re: Pylon Question

Post by chapelhillduck »

Pylon counts as in the end zone in college

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I haven’t seen the play yet, I left my sons place at the beginning of the fourth because of a threat of snow at my place. But the Duck radio crew felt confident it was a touchback before the replay officials announced it. It sounds like Redd fumbled the ball and it hit the pylon then bounced backwards and went out at the one inch line? Is that basically correct?
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Redd fumbled it into the pylon before anything touched out of bounds...so definitely touchback

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I could be wrong, but I thought it was outside of the pylon = out of bounds/no touchback, above or inside the pylon = endzone/touchback.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Redds hand hit the pylon which then moved the pylon, the balll hit the pylon in air.

The Pykon is supposed to stand as the out of bounds line but that shouldn’t be fluid IMO.
I think it should have been a fumble at the half yard line cause the ball never crossed the plane of the end zone.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I think they just look at whatever ruling causes Oregon to lose the ball and the other team to get it on the 20. Between the Stanford case and this one, that seems to be the only common thread in the thinking. If the ball is fumbled anywhere near the pylon, you can just assume if the fumbling team is Oregon, it will be a touchback.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phalanx wrote:I think they just look at whatever ruling causes Oregon to lose the ball and the other team to get it on the 20. Between the Stanford case and this one, that seems to be the only common thread in the thinking. If the ball is fumbled anywhere near the pylon, you can just assume if the fumbling team is Oregon, it will be a touchback.
I can't remember a pylon incident, or a ball going out of the end zone for any reason, happening to an Oregon opponent. Anyone?
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Also Colvin vs cal in 07 and Blount in the 09 Rose bowl
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

OK, scratch what I said before. this call doesn't make sense given the fumble against OSU

https://larrybrownsports.com/college-fo ... iew/465133
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I thought the call was good at the time and even when I first read this thread, but the more i think about it I lean to it being wrong.

If the pylon is both out of bounce and the front of the goal line then hitting the front face of the pylon would mean the ball was out of bounds before crossing the plane. Oregon's ball because it was fumbled out of bounds before crossing the plane, and it should have been spotted where he lost control because I don't believe the ball can be spotted forward on a fumble out of bounds.

Now there may be some specific rule addressing the hitting of the pylon that would call it a fumble out of the end-zone but if there is that rule would be illogical with the placement of the pylon.
Last edited by GrandpaDuck on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

The officials got it right. This specific scenario is addressed in the rule book. Rule 8, Section 6, Article 1, Item 1 reads as follows...

"I. Team A’s fumble strikes the pylon at the intersection of Team B’s goal line and sideline. RULING: Touchback. Team B’s ball at the 20-yard line (Rules 7-2-4-c and 4-2-3-b)."

https://rulebook.github.io/en/interpretations/rules/8/
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

gogreen55 wrote:The officials got it right. This specific scenario is addressed in the rule book. Rule 8, Section 6, Article 1, Item 1 reads as follows...

"I. Team A’s fumble strikes the pylon at the intersection of Team B’s goal line and sideline. RULING: Touchback. Team B’s ball at the 20-yard line (Rules 7-2-4-c and 4-2-3-b)."

Redd has already fumbled prior to that and his empty hand hit the pylon. It was close no matter what though
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

gogreen55 wrote:The officials got it right. This specific scenario is addressed in the rule book. Rule 8, Section 6, Article 1, Item 1 reads as follows...

Yep, like I said, a specific ruling existing for the scenario, even though it breaks the laws of geometry. The pylon is placed on the outside of the intersection. The rule should be if the ball makes first contact with the face of the pylon the ball was out of bounds before crossing the plane. If it contacts the inside face first it would have to have crossed the goal plane in bounds. I suggest a million scientist protest march. "Hell no 8.6.1.1.1-B must go"!