Oregon Needs A New Kicker Next Year

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Oregon Needs A New Kicker Next Year

Post by SuperDuck »

I hate to be hard on the kid we have, but there's a lot of room for improvement at the position. He made the game winning kick against WSU, thank goodness, but he's also blown a couple chip shot FG's, and has little range or consistency.

We really need a kid that can comfortably hit from at least 40-45 yards and is fairly consistent. Having a good kicker would be another weapon in our arsenal, and can be a game changer.

It'll be interesting to see who they bring in next year. It's an issue that really need to be addressed.
John 3:36
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Re: Oregon Needs A New Kicker Next Year

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

He has also missed an extra point. In a close game he could be the difference between winning and losing. Cristobal may say to the media he has confidence in him to the media. He may hit them all the time in practice, but it is clear as day when it comes to game time he is not reliable. I hope it never costs us a game. Cristobal continues going with him next year and it will eventually cost us. I don't think they have even recruited a kicker which is scary.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Well he’s a true freshman and we don’t exactly have a ton of scholarships to go around so let’s hope he improves or we find a great walk on.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:He has also missed an extra point. In a close game he could be the difference between winning and losing. Cristobal may say to the media he has confidence in him to the media. He may hit them all the time in practice, but it is clear as day when it comes to game time he is not reliable. I hope it never costs us a game. Cristobal continues going with him next year and it will eventually cost us. I don't think they have even recruited a kicker which is scary.
I thought he had but I wasn't sure. There absolutely must be competition at the position in order to push him to get better.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Phenom wrote:Well he’s a true freshman and we don’t exactly have a ton of scholarships to go around so let’s hope he improves or we find a great walk on.

I agree about. The scholarships, but I have zero confidence in him, it may be freshman nerves but I done have that feeling right now, I hope I am wrong...... every time I see home line up his kick with his arm I groan and wonder how bad he will miss it..
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

He's bad. I hope he improves and I don't mean to kill the kid, but it's just unacceptable how bad our kicking game is.

Not sure we can afford another scholarship for the position. We need to at least bring a preferred walk-on in though.
Last edited by Tray Dub on Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Lewis is 6/11 on FGs, and 49/51 on extra points. Also, lots of poor kick offs.

Considering how many of the FGs have been extra point distance this is some awful kicking.
Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Post by Blazers-1977 »

Yah remember we kept Alejandro Maldonado after a two loss season in 2011 thinking things would be fine but he essentially cost us the National championship in 2012
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Lewis is 6/11 on FGs, and 49/51 on extra points. Also, lots of poor kick offs.

Considering how many of the FGs have been extra point distance this is some awful kicking.
You also have to account for all the times we went for it on 4th down rather than kick a field goal because our kicker's range is like 30 yards.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I’m not sure I agree on the kickoff part, unless our coverage is just that good.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Tray Dub wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:Lewis is 6/11 on FGs, and 49/51 on extra points. Also, lots of poor kick offs.

You also have to account for all the times we went for it on 4th down rather than kick a field goal because our kicker's range is like 30 yards.
This^^^^^
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm sure they'll bring in multiple walk-ons who will have a chance to prove themselves. Already started with Katleman (sp?). But also, #collegekickers will always be a thing.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Phenom wrote:I’m not sure I agree on the kickoff part, unless our coverage is just that good.
Our coverage is making up for some of that. I think I saw a thing where Lewis was like 96th in touchbacks and kicked more than his share out of bounds.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

I hate to knock the kid, but he has cost us 2 games already. He missed a chip shot against Auburn, which likely would've resulted in the game playing out differently, and cristobal went for it on 4th against Arizona state instead of kicking the field goal. While there were other factors in both those games, his inability to make a field goal resulted in missed points that very likely would changed the outcome of both games