The Need For QB Depth Next Year

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

The Need For QB Depth Next Year

Post by SuperDuck »

In my opinion, it looked like the Oregon staff intentionally encouraged Herbert not to run this season. He's a coveted first round NFL pick and running is obviously a high risk that increases the chance of potential injuries.

That said, having a running threat can change the dynamic of the game. Chip Kelly used to say that he wasn't looking for a running QB, he was looking for a good QB who "can" run. Someone who can take off at a moments notice if they see the opportunity, grab easy first downs, make plays with his feet, etc. Someone who can make a defense account for him on every play.

I'm hoping that we have enough depth at the position where we can open up the offense a bit next year. Being able to run may even be necessary due to the young players we'll have on the O-Line in 2020.

Right now we're looking at Shough, Millen and Butterfield. It would be awesome if the Ducks could bring in a proven grad transfer. Also, landing CJ Stroud could also be a huge asset.

It just seems to me that it's an element that's missing from this offense that would be a difference maker.

Thoughts?
John 3:36
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Re: The Need For QB Depth Next Year

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I don't know if Cristobal views the element of a running quarterback as being an asset. I get the sense he is more concerned about an injury to the quarterback and that is hamstringing them. Does Millen or Butterfield have a run element to their game. If they do then maybe we see it. If not then I think it is an element we will not see.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Shough is the definition of "can" run. Millen is mobile; Butterfield isn't. Stroud would be like Millen.

They need to figure out what the offense's identity is first. Then second, go find a QB that can do what you want to do.

That said, I'm always a fan of getting a college QB who can move the sticks with their legs.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

More than anything I think Oregon needs a deep threat. Thar receiver that can jab step a db and blow past him. I've seen it a few times this season, but herbert is so inconsistent on his deep ball that it usually didn't matter. Having a deep threat or two can run the defenders out if the play and open up the field for so many other plays
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:Shough is the definition of "can" run. Millen is mobile; Butterfield isn't. Stroud would be like Millen.

They need to figure out what the offense's identity is first. Then second, go find a QB that can do what you want to do.

That said, I'm always a fan of getting a college QB who can move the sticks with their legs.
I'm still betting on Millen being the guy within the next 2 years. But I'm not betting a garden box on it, let alone the farm. Maybe a potted plant.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
I'm still betting on Millen being the guy within the next 2 years. But I'm not betting a garden box on it, let alone the farm. Maybe a potted plant.
I respect your opinion, care to elaborate?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

First, I liked his Senior highlights better. That is both subjective and unreliable at best, but there it is anyway.
Secondly, his father; genetics and winning home environment sometimes count.
Third, his father; I assume he has had years of personal top rate QB coaching.
Fourth, His younger brother; him also being a stud QB makes me think that my points 2 and 3 are likely valid.
Fifth, he is mobile and and a play-maker. If arm talent is comparable, legs are the tie breaker.

That's the thinking behind my hunch.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

The tie breaker is assuming that Cristobal does not mind a quarterback that can extend plays with their legs. I think Cristobal prefers they sit in the pocket and not run.
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Post by hjpop »

It could just be that we didn't have a proven 2nd QB in the wings last year and this year, Shough is a risk with Millen out, leaving just him and Yaffe. I wonder if that's the risk of having just 3 QBs on schollie instead of the old-school 5 that we had last decade?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:The tie breaker is assuming that Cristobal does not mind a quarterback that can extend plays with their legs. I think Cristobal prefers they sit in the pocket and not run.
I don't think he minds limited scrambles, I specifically remember him praising the scramble TD pass against Washington, but the roll-out that was such a huge part of Herbert's game the first too years, was largely awol this year. I also suspect big play VA would have driven them nuts.

Still Millens escapability should be a plus even if they don't incorporate his mobility into the playbook, I hope.

It should be noted that both Arroyo and Cristabol prior to Oregon, had seasons where their QBs ran a lot. Their offenses weren't particularly good those years. But then they weren't so good the years they didn't run the QB either.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

hjpop wrote:It could just be that we didn't have a proven 2nd QB in the wings last year and this year, Shough is a risk with Millen out, leaving just him and Yaffe. I wonder if that's the risk of having just 3 QBs on schollie instead of the old-school 5 that we had last decade?
This I think is a really valid point.

Even Chip in D Thomas' last year rarely called a true read option. Maybe around 20 all year. Defenses still respected the QB run threat because it had been established so well the previous year. While BB was okay in emergency duty and against Colorado it was obvious Chip was protecting DT for bigger games and didn't really trust BB throwing the ball.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think Cristobal and Arroyo protected Herbert from taking too many shots in the running because they saw how poorly the team did without him in 2017 and didn't exactly have the best depth behind him the past couple years.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

greenyellow wrote:I think Cristobal and Arroyo protected Herbert from taking too many shots in the running because they saw how poorly the team did without him in 2017 and didn't exactly have the best depth behind him the past couple years.
Herbert stopped running once he came back from the broken collar bone. He ran a lot before the break. My gut is they’ve been protecting him more than it is an issue of not liking it when the QB goes and gets it on the ground, but I’ve never heard Cristobal make his tastes known.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Does the pistol offense almost require a mobile quarterback to be effective or is that just a misconception? I actually don't know. I know people mention that Nevada was the only team that really ran a successful pistol offense and that was with a mobile Kapernick.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

ducks5ever wrote:Does the pistol offense almost require a mobile quarterback to be effective or is that just a misconception? I actually don't know. I know people mention that Nevada was the only team that really ran a successful pistol offense and that was with a mobile Kapernick.
Wrote a book length reply to this. Started proofreading it and decided it was boring crap and deleted it. You're welcome.