BENCH HERBERT!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

BENCH HERBERT!

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I briefly mentioned this on the game thread a minute ago, but how has Herbert not been benched? Don't give me the garbage that he's a 4 year starter, came back for the team, blah blah blah. Herbert has been simply awful, no way around it. His mechanics have been bad, he's been lazy with progressions, he looks like a first year starter that's in his first game every these last two weeks.

I love Cristobal and think he's the guy for the job (I think Arroyo is a piss poor OC and QB coach though), but keeping Herbert in all of the ASU and OSU games was laughable. Nobody, not even Herbert, should ever be above the team. If someone isn't performing to their potential and they're hurting their team because of that, they don't deserve to see the field, especially when there's finally a halfway decent backup like Shough.

It's just annoying to see Herbert be able to trot out on the field, play horrible, yet not have to worry about being benched and know he will still probably get a high draft pick simply cause of his potential. How will that ever instill a sense of urgency into Herbert? Why would Herbert need to put everything out there with this scenario? It's just silly and sends a poor message to the rest of the team.

On OSU's opening drive Lenoir got beat cause he fell asleep and gave up a big pass, right after that he was benched for Wright and didn't see the field for a little while. Why is Herbert above the team but Lenoir isn't? I can't say it enough, Cristobal and Arroyo are absolutely hurting the morale of this team by letting Herbert suck it up badly. Herbert is in no way above the team and he deserves to be sitting on the bench for his pathetic performances as of late.

Now if Shough comes out and shows the exact same horrible mechanics and progression, then we know Arroyo is a horrible QB coach, though I'm pretty sure we already know that.

I sure hope Herbert figures things out against Utah, and if he looks the same as he has the last two weeks, I hope he's benched by the 2nd quarter at the latest.
lmduck

Re: BENCH HERBERT!

Post by lmduck »

WOW! Just no words for this.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I feel like you should lose your thread-starting privileges.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Let me clarify, don't start Shough over Herbert, but if Herbert plays against Utah the way he did against ASU and OSU and he hurts the team, I 100% believe Shough should get a try. I don't understand how fans can be so against this. Isn't the goal to win games?
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Herbert is 12th in the nation in passing efficiency.

Shough isn't going to be better than that against a crazy good defense like Utah.

I know Herbert has been frustrating at times this season with his inconsistent play, but he's still much improved and has had a really solid season despite a lot of injuries to his pass catchers and a below average play caller.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

To answer your question about Wright/Lenoir.

1. Because Mykael Wright is a freakin' stud.

2. Because QB position is different than CB position.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I briefly mentioned this on the game thread a minute ago, but how has Herbert not been benched? Don't give me the garbage that he's a 4 year starter, came back for the team, blah blah blah. Herbert has been simply awful, no way around it. His mechanics have been bad, he's been lazy with progressions, he looks like a first year starter that's in his first game every these last two weeks.

I love Cristobal and think he's the guy for the job (I think Arroyo is a piss poor OC and QB coach though), but keeping Herbert in all of the ASU and OSU games was laughable. Nobody, not even Herbert, should ever be above the team. If someone isn't performing to their potential and they're hurting their team because of that, they don't deserve to see the field, especially when there's finally a halfway decent backup like Shough.

It's just annoying to see Herbert be able to trot out on the field, play horrible, yet not have to worry about being benched and know he will still probably get a high draft pick simply cause of his potential. How will that ever instill a sense of urgency into Herbert? Why would Herbert need to put everything out there with this scenario? It's just silly and sends a poor message to the rest of the team.

On OSU's opening drive Lenoir got beat cause he fell asleep and gave up a big pass, right after that he was benched for Wright and didn't see the field for a little while. Why is Herbert above the team but Lenoir isn't? I can't say it enough, Cristobal and Arroyo are absolutely hurting the morale of this team by letting Herbert suck it up badly. Herbert is in no way above the team and he deserves to be sitting on the bench for his pathetic performances as of late.

Now if Shough comes out and shows the exact same horrible mechanics and progression, then we know Arroyo is a horrible QB coach, though I'm pretty sure we already know that.

I sure hope Herbert figures things out against Utah, and if he looks the same as he has the last two weeks, I hope he's benched by the 2nd quarter at the latest.
Maybe there were some agreements (not running, etc.) made in order to have him return for sr. year. Maybe MC would like to bench him but wants to show integrity by honoring any pledges made. Coaches start breaking promises and it could hurt. I don't think many thought Shough was a viable option at beginning of season. Most thought the Ducks had to go with Herbert, win or lose. And that's what has happened. I really have no idea what is going on and most people don't.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Phalanx wrote:I feel like you should lose your thread-starting privileges.
That should have happened five years ago when this same person told everyone on this board that he/she had seen Chip kelly's name on the contract and that the following day and it would be announced that he was returning to UO to replace Helfrich. Claimed to know people inside the AD who 100% verified it. Claimed that Kelly was not flying back to SF to return to the 49ers after he had been in New Hampshire to bury his father but instead flying to Eugene to take over.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I briefly mentioned this on the game thread a minute ago, but how has Herbert not been benched? Don't give me the garbage that he's a 4 year starter, came back for the team, blah blah blah. Herbert has been simply awful, no way around it. His mechanics have been bad, he's been lazy with progressions, he looks like a first year starter that's in his first game every these last two weeks.

If you think Herbert is awful, you should check out the QBs at the other schools around the country. There are, at most, 10 better college QBs at the moment. I’m just giving that round figure, because I’m too lazy to go through the list in my mind. It probably isn’t even that many. Truly spoiled.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

https://gph.is/JF6m3D

Edit - how the crap do you embed gifs?
Last edited by DuckMastaFunk on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

unsubscribe
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

i actually get it...its Herberts fault were 10-2... we are fricken 10-2 and
we should bench Herbert... unbelievable
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Salute
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Let me clarify, don't start Shough over Herbert, but if Herbert plays against Utah the way he did against ASU and OSU and he hurts the team, I 100% believe Shough should get a try. I don't understand how fans can be so against this. Isn't the goal to win games?
10-2 with a good chance of going to Rose Bowl. Ten other PAC-12 teams wish they were in that position. Whether it's Utah, OU, or Baylor, or Georgia who get's the 4th playoff spot they will get crushed. I thought we would be 9-3 when season began. If any fans have a right to be upset about inconsistent play it would be UW. Would you rather have Herbert or Eason, or maybe Klovas, or Montez. Maybe Huntley or Anthony Gordon(who was actually not so good in apple cup) would be on a par with Herbert in PAC-12.