The Replacements

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Re: The Replacements

Post by ducks5ever »

I don't want to read too much into Herbert's words but he singled out the defense and said it will be good again next year - he's probably right. But he doesn't say anything about the offense. I get that the OC is still an open question, but I'm a bit concerned about QB play next year because that's going to be what makes a team elite or not nowadays (along with the trenches)

(see Georgia/LSU of last decade - they had great defenses but not so great QB play).
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Phenom wrote:Dorlus is already good and the other guys have flashed too. I’m excited for next year’s DL.
Agreed. They all got limited run, but seemed to get to the QB or ball carrier when they had their chance. All with good size. Was a good class, so far. Joe has some dudes to work with.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

With the announcements of all four that they're coming back, Oregon will have depth and experience in spades next year on the defensive side of the football.

In my time as a Duck fan, I've seen good players become great in their last year of eligibility (Troy Hill, Henry Mondeaux, Justin Hollins), and I've seen many tread water or even regress. So we'll see what comes of this group. Each guy will be pushed by the man behind them, so we'll see how the development works out.

DL 2-Deep:

1st String

DL: Thibodeaux, Faoliu, Scott
LB: Funa, Slade-Mautuatia, Mathis
DB: Lenoir, Graham, Holland, Breeze, McKinley

2nd String

DL: Dorlus, Aumavae, Johnson
LB: Sewell, Flowe, Jackson
DB: Wright, James, Manning, Pickett, Williams
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

StevensTechU wrote:With the announcements of all four that they're coming back, Oregon will have depth and experience in spades next year on the defensive side of the football.

In my time as a Duck fan, I've seen good players become great in their last year of eligibility (Troy Hill, Henry Mondeaux, Justin Hollins), and I've seen many tread water or even regress. So we'll see what comes of this group. Each guy will be pushed by the man behind them, so we'll see how the development works out.

DL 2-Deep:

1st String

2nd String

You think McKinley will be a starter again? He seemed to have lost his spot the last few weeks.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

pudgejeff wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:With the announcements of all four that they're coming back, Oregon will have depth and experience in spades next year on the defensive side of the football.

DL 2-Deep:

1st String

2nd String

You think McKinley will be a starter again? He seemed to have lost his spot the last few weeks.
Him and Holland essentially switched positions in the secondary but were still considered starters.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

DL 2-Deep:

1st String

2nd String

By the 3rd game, Willams will be the starter next to Holland. He was the missing piece this year. Yes Breeze stepped up late, but if we had a competent safety vs Auburn that's a win, and vs ASU, thats a win.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

pudgejeff wrote:

DL 2-Deep:

1st String

2nd String

I think it depends on the other team's personnel. McKinley is better against passing teams, Breeze/Pickett against teams that run more.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

wlduck wrote:Damn, I thought this thread was about the band.
I thought it was about the movie!
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

Hoagduck wrote:
wlduck wrote:Damn, I thought this thread was about the band.
I thought it was about the movie!
I thought it was about an episode of Band of Brothers.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

buckmarkduck wrote:
By the 3rd game, Willams will be the starter next to Holland. He was the missing piece this year. Yes Breeze stepped up late, but if we had a competent safety vs Auburn that's a win, and vs ASU, thats a win.
I agree that Williams will probably find his way into starting at some point. I don't have enough insight to guess where, other than I would guess Pickett would be the odd man out. McKinley had some great moments this year, and has one more year of eligibility than Williams has, so I would think they'd want to get him lots of run this upcoming season.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

My guess for secondary is a constant of Graham, Lenior and Breeze at their same positions as this year. Holland switched to Field Safety and Wright and Williams at a Nickel/Corner and backing up Graham and Lenior.

I like Holland less tied to chasing slot receivers and more free to be a playmaker. Wright and I assume Williams would be better coverage guys on slots while rotating in for Graham and Lenoir when they need a blow. Four true corners manning the 3 corner positions.

Picket backing Breeze and McKinley backing Holland.

1st down base defense against non air-raid teams I would expect a third true d-lineman, probably Dorlus, then Theb as one of 3 linebackers. I would normally say they would go with 4 linebackers but I am guessing they stay with 5 DBs in base because they can bring Breeze close to the box and use him in run support as they did late this season. A 3-3-5 base. Passing downs, Dorlus or Scott come out, and a 4th linebacker in for a 2-4-5.

That's a lot of typing for a guess that will probably be wrong.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GrandpaDuck wrote:My guess for secondary is a constant of Graham, Lenior and Breeze at their same positions as this year. Holland switched to Field Safety and Wright and Williams at a Nickel/Corner and backing up Graham and Lenior.

I like Holland less tied to chasing slot receivers and more free to be a playmaker. Wright and I assume Williams would be better coverage guys on slots while rotating in for Graham and Lenoir when they need a blow. Four true corners manning the 3 corner positions.

1st down base defense against non air-raid teams I would expect a third true d-lineman, probably Dorlus, then Theb as one of 3 linebackers. I would normally say they would go with 4 linebackers but I am guessing they stay with 5 DBs in base because they can bring Breeze close to the box and use him in run support as they did late this season. A 3-3-5 base. Passing downs, Dorlus or Scott come out, and a 4th linebacker in for a 2-4-5.

I really like Williams, but his skillset is essentially the exact same as Holland, but with less speed. I think running stride for stride with slot WRs might be the area where McKinley has an advantage, because Bennett's at his best when he gets to play center field.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:My guess for secondary is a constant of Graham, Lenior and Breeze at their same positions as this year. Holland switched to Field Safety and Wright and Williams at a Nickel/Corner and backing up Graham and Lenior.

I really like Williams, but his skillset is essentially the exact same as Holland, but with less speed. I think running stride for stride with slot WRs might be the area where McKinley has an advantage, because Bennett's at his best when he gets to play center field.
Ah, I see Williams is a safety, my error I somehow had him as a corner. In that case I would say there is a log jam at safety and I'm not sure how it will shake in the secondary except I still think we'll see a 5 db base.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

https://youtu.be/BKAGfEeWVzc

Here is William's highlights from his 1 year at Illinois.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... /107276818

And a good article.