The Replacements

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

The Replacements

Post by StevensTechU »

It's still a bit up in the air what guys may leave early for the draft (not to mention who may transfer, retire, etc), but I can't help myself from thinking about who will have to step up next season to fill the shoes of those moving on. Here's a player-by-player look.

Offense:

Justin Herbert (QB)- Herbert didn't have the full year that many hoped for, but that is in large part due to the high expectations fans have had for the projected 1st round pick. On the roster, 3rd year man Tyler Shough is the leader, with Cale Millen and Jay Butterfield the most likely challengers. Robby Ashford and Bradley Yaffe are notable. Recent buzz is that a transfer could come into play, specifically Wake Forest dual threat Jamie Newman, known for his prowess in pushing the ball deep downfield. Either Newman or Shough would likely represent a drop-off, but this could be dependent on the next OC and their design.

Juwan Johnson (WR)- Picking up from above, the passing game will be a big question mark next year. On the depth chart, Bryan Addison will be the most veteran presence who could fill JJ6's spot, while Mycah Pittman is most likely to fill in the production. That said, Josh Delgado, Lance Wilhoite, JR Waters, and maybe Isaah Crocker will make a push if they can all stay healthy. The Ducks will need someone to fill the role of "go-to" guy, and the earlier the better, as Ohio State will likely smother short passes to Redd and JJ3.

Jacob Breeland and Ryan Bay (TE)- We all got a preview of how these guys will be replaced next year after Breeland went down, and Kampmoyer seemed to pass Bay on the depth chart. Spencer Webb came in for some drives to add a receiving threat. Next year, we should likely expect much of the same, with the younger Herbert getting some run. Best case scenario would be if Spencer Webb can pick up his blocking, because he oozes with potential as a pass-catcher. Best-best case scenario is that perhaps Cam McCormick coming back healthy, which at this point would be comparable to the rising of a Phoenix from its ashes.

Jake Hanson (C)- Many Ducks fans are probably like me and get nervous about center play. Welp, here I am again, uncertain of what's about to happen next. It appears that JUCO transfer TJ Bass will compete with Ryan Walk, Dawson Jaramillo, and perhaps Alex Forsyth in a competition of which questionable player will call out protections against formidable early season foes. I don't think I will watch any other position battle in the spring with so much intrigue.

Calvin Throckmorton & Brady Aiello (RT)- Man, what a class this was. Thank you and happy retirement, Steve Greatwood. That said, coach Mirabal looks to have two guys who might battle for this spot. The more veteran presence will be Steven Jones, a huge body and surprising athleticism. The more green is Jonah Tauanu'u, who spent the year blocking the travel team as part of the developmental squad. Jonah could make a big move in year 2, but I see this going to Jones, unless...

Shane Lemieux & Dallas Warmack (LG & RG)- ...Steven ends up playing inside due to his sheer ability to push people around. It's likely that Jones could be the new Throckmorton, able to move inside or outside based on the health on the line. Him aside, Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu ("Sala") seems like a shoe-in for one spot, while TJ Bass, Alex Forsyth, and perhaps Chris Randazzo work for the other. Time will tell, but we'll almost certainly take a slide from the quality we had this year. Hopefully the coaches discover mis-direction and outside runs this offseason.

Defense:

Bryson Young (Stud/OLB)- Bryson Young had a really good season, particularly early on. Fortunately, the Ducks are in a good spot with Mase Funa capable of picking up much of the production, as well as incoming Noah Sewell a candidate to play this OLB/DE hybrid position. It's likely that Adrian Jackson and DJ Johnson will play other positions, but are also worth noting, as well as second year players Treven Ma'ae and Isaac Townsend who we've heard little about.

Lamar Winston JR (OLB)- Lamar exceeded the expectations that many had of him. I recall a lot of "he's soft" and "doesn't work hard" comments from those around local coaching circles, so kudos to Lamar for writing his own story. Adrian Jackson will be the man to beat, coming off his injury. That said, the linebacker room is getting quite talented with Noah Sewell, Jackson LaDuke, and Justin Flowe coming in to join Andrew Johnson and Ge'Mon Eaford. Some of this bunch will end up inside.

Troy Dye (ILB)- Will a true freshman (Sewell or Flowe?) make a splash here? I'm often pessimistic on the chances of 18 year olds becoming day 1 difference makers, but I've been wrong before. Dru Mathis will be the veteran along with MJ Cunningham and Sampson Niu, and I'd figure Mathis will get reps with the 1s when spring opens up with Niu right behind. This will be about as wait-and-see as the offensive line, as it's not impossible for second-year Funa to slide inside, or same for Jackson.

Austin Faoliu & Drayton Carlberg (DE)- Austin's shoes could be filled by Austin, as we don't know yet if he's leaving (my money would be on him staying put). If that isn't the case, Brandon Dorlus appears to be the first guy who will benefit. DJ Johnson has played more of a WDE than strong side, but given Thibodeaux's apparent stronghold of that spot, I could see him beefing up to play here. Andrew Faoliu and Keyon Ware-Hudson are also likely to get reps here.

Jordon Scott (NT)- Like Faoliu, Scott could come back. If he doesn't, Popo Aumavae looks to be the man to step up. In limited reps this season, including the Rose Bowl, Popo was often seen beating his man or simply driving him backward. Popo looked so good, in fact, that I think even if Scott stays, he deserves a much more expanded role. Kristian Williams and Keyon Ware-Hudson are the next two up at the position, and both appear rock solid (in a beefy lineman sort of way).

Deommodore Lenoir & Thomas Graham (CB)- Both could come back. Both could leave. If they go, Mykael Wright and DJ James will start in 2020, barring injury. Ducks fans should be happy with that front line. Where it gets dicey is what happens after that. My best guess is that Luke Hill will get some run, if he adapts quickly, and one of Verone McKinley/Bennett Williams/Jevon Holland will play somewhat out of position at corner, much like Jairus Byrd did at Oregon. Trikweze Bridges is another natural safety who is/will be playing corner because of depth, and Daewood Davis could be here again, as well.

Blake Maimone (P)- Sophomore Tom Snee is next on the depth chart after the senior Maimone, so we'll see how this shakes out.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: The Replacements

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Good stuff. OL and QB are the biggest offensive concerns. I think our OL will be fine, but it'll take them a few games to gel.

LB losses are some big ones, but we have some serious talent coming our way. DL is a little concerning, but if Scott comes back I think we won't take much of a hit.

If we can get good QB play next year, we should be a good team. Nothing else really pops out as a glaring issue.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think Devon Williams is the obvious replacement for JJ6.

You also left off Carlberg and Baker, most notably the former. Carlberg was key in the Rose Bowl and when we ran bear fronts or 4 man fronts. I think Dorlus is more of a SDE and plays in the Faoliuo spot if he leaves or opposite Faoluio in our heavy 3 man fronts. He also could play inside in 4 man fronts. Keyon Ware Hudson likely gets the PT that Carlberg leaves behind.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Not really worried about the defense unless both Graham and Demo leave and I don’t think they will.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I think Devon Williams is the obvious replacement for JJ6.

You also left off Carlberg and Baker, most notably the former. Carlberg was key in the Rose Bowl and when we ran bear fronts or 4 man fronts. I think Dorlus is more of a SDE and plays in the Faoliuo spot if he leaves or opposite Faoluio in our heavy 3 man fronts. He also could play inside in 4 man fronts. Keyon Ware Hudson likely gets the PT that Carlberg leaves behind.
Good call on Devon Williams. I completely forgot about him.

I noted Carlberg. See the line with Faoliu.

Baker had very little impact this season.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

StevensTechU wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:I think Devon Williams is the obvious replacement for JJ6.

Good call on Devon Williams. I completely forgot about him.

I noted Carlberg. See the line with Faoliu.

Baker had very little impact this season.
Ah yep, I see that you had both listed in the title now. Baker didn't play often but I at least wanted to note him since we're losing the depth. I think the current true freshman: Dorlus, KWH, Kristian Williams and maybe Poti will be solid depth at minimum next year.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Dorlus is already good and the other guys have flashed too. I’m excited for next year’s DL.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Damn, I thought this thread was about the band.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Moseley tweeting today in response to questions about the OLine and said the foundation of next year's line will be Sewell, Jones, and Forsyth. Interesting that he feels strongly enough to list Forsyth with Sewell and Jones and ahead of guys like Jonah and Sala.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

duck541 wrote:Moseley tweeting today in response to questions about the OLine and said the foundation of next year's line will be Sewell, Jones, and Forsyth. Interesting that he feels strongly enough to list Forsyth with Sewell and Jones and ahead of guys like Jonah and Sala.
I’ve been saying this since the spring game, the coaching staff loves Forsyth. Dollars to doughnuts he starts next year.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Now can see Hill and Manning as backups/nickel If both corners leave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

LT -Sewell
LG- Sala
C - Forsyth / Bass
RG- Jonah
RT- Jones
6th man - Forsyth/ Bass

That's my prediction
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

chapelhillduck wrote:Now can see Hill and Manning as backups/nickel If both corners leave

Or starters....

wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

FlDuckFan wrote:LT -Sewell
LG- Sala
C - Forsyth / Bass
RG- Jonah
RT- Jones
6th man - Forsyth/ Bass

That's my prediction
Can’t Hardly Wait.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Good write up.

I'd also watch out for Patrick Herbert at TE and Devon Williams at WR.