How a 8 team playoff could work without ruining bowl games

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

How a 8 team playoff could work without ruining bowl games

Post by Blazers-1977 »

Dont know if this is the right board but here:

There are some concerns about too many games and I think a solution to that is simple, just get rid of 1 nonconference game.

Another concern is it could totally ruin playoff and I disagree, as the quarter-finals could be the 4 old BCS Bowl Games. So basically this

Rose Bowl: Winner of Pac 12 vs Winner of Big 10
Fiesta Bowl: Winner of Big 12 vs At Large
Orange Bowl: Winner of ACC vs At Large
Sugar Bowl: Winner of SEC vs At Large

The 3 At Large teams would be the 3 highest-ranking teams who did not get an automatic bid into the playoffs

Then after Quarter Final you rank the top 4 teams for one final time and do 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 like you do and then the finals would be winner of Semi Finals .
nogerO
Senior

Re: How a 8 team playoff could work without ruining bowl gam

Post by nogerO »

Never work as one of the Pac-12/BIG would be out after the opening round. Neither conference would ever vote for that.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Post by Blazers-1977 »

nogerO wrote:Never work as one of the Pac-12/BIG would be out after the opening round. Neither conference would ever vote for that.

One of them is out now too , and this gives each conference a better chance of getting in. The winner of the 4 bowl games are guaranteed a spot in the semis under this system so the bowl games are basically a playoff game too .
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

If I understand correctly you eliminate one non conference game for everybody so eight teams can get to the playoffs. Also assume a lot of the eliminated games would be the annual cupcake. How do those lower division schools make up the lost revenue. Oregon will pay NDSU $650,000 to play in Autzen, roughly 15% of their total annual football revenue.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The bowl games are already ruined. Go to 8 teams strait up. Stop trying to hold onto the past. The BCS pretty much destroyed the Rose Bowl tradition. So why not just move on?
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

buckmarkduck wrote:The bowl games are already ruined. Go to 8 teams strait up. Stop trying to hold onto the past. The BCS pretty much destroyed the Rose Bowl tradition. So why not just move on?
Very well said. Eight teams would actually make it a playoff rather than the Invitational it is now and while winning a NY6 Bowl means a lot more than winning the Idaho Potato Bowl and the 35 others do, making them the site of Playoff Games would give them some actual relevance.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I agree with the 8 team playoff format but I don't think any games should be eliminated, I think conference championship games should be eliminated. Even with two divisions, most teams play one another in each conference. Even though it worked out well for Oregon, this year it actually kept the Pac-12 out of the playoffs.

I think the Top-5 power conference champs should be in plus 3 at-large teams. They should be seeded 1-8 with each conference champion being ranked 1-5.

I then think the first round should be played at the home of the higher seeded teams. The reason for that is because of the ability for most fans to travel to all of these neutral games. Most fans simply can't afford it.

A home game for the higher seed would also almost certainly be sold out, unlike most conference championship games. Revenues would need to be shared fairly with the visiting teams.

That would eliminate half filled CHGs and increase revenue. It would also not only benefit the 4 extra teams getting in, but it would also enable teams from what are considered to be "superior" conferences to get an extra team into the playoff and prove it, or not, on the field.

So, expand to 8 teams, eliminate conference championship games, have the first round at the home of the higher seed, and play the semifinals and finals in the current format.

My two bits. :-)
John 3:36
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

SuperDuck wrote:I agree with the 8 team playoff format but I don't think any games should be eliminated, I think conference championship games should be eliminated. Even with two divisions, most teams play one another in each conference. Even though it worked out well for Oregon, this year it actually kept the Pac-12 out of the playoffs.

I think the Top-5 power conference champs should be in plus 3 at-large teams. They should be seeded 1-8 with each conference champion being ranked 1-5.

I then think the first round should be played at the home of the higher seeded teams. The reason for that is because of the ability for most fans to travel to all of these neutral games. Most fans simply can't afford it.

A home game for the higher seed would also almost certainly be sold out, unlike most conference championship games. Revenues would need to be shared fairly with the visiting teams.

That would eliminate half filled CHGs and increase revenue. It would also not only benefit the 4 extra teams getting in, but it would also enable teams from what are considered to be "superior" conferences to get an extra team into the playoff and prove it, or not, on the field.

So, expand to 8 teams, eliminate conference championship games, have the first round at the home of the higher seed, and play the semifinals and finals in the current format.

My two bits. :-)
I would rather eliminate a non-conference game than Conference Championship games. The problem with no CC game is perfectly illustrated this year. Utah and Oregon had the same conference record, but didn't play each other in the regular season. I wouldn't want it to be determined on higher ranking in that instance, as it goes back to the subjectivity we have today for the 4 team playoff. Would I prefer a round robin format without a CC game? Sure, but it's not feasible with the size of some of the conferences, including the Pac-12.

In the new format, non-conference games would matter less, and hopefully there'd be fewer garbage match-ups with DII schools to fill out a schedule.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

It is so much simpler than this. First, all power five conferences need to be even. Same number of conference games, everyone has a conference championship game. Champions from each five are in, then the next three..... no more then two per conference.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Alan wrote:It is so much simpler than this. First, all power five conferences need to be even. Same number of conference games, everyone has a conference championship game. Champions from each five are in, then the next three..... no more then two per conference.
I understand your point about CCGs, but aside from the Oregon vs Utah game this year, the ACC had an 8-4 team going against Clemson. As much as we want to get as many of the deserving teams in, we also want to keep the undeserving teams out. Those are games that shouldn't be played.

This makes me think that maybe the playoff should expand to 12 teams. The reason being for your concern about the best teams from each conference either playing each other, or getting into the playoff.

It would also take care of the best non power-5 team getting in, as long as they were ranked in the Top-12, as well as a Top-12 Notre Dame or other independent team. Give the Top-4 teams a 1st round bye, let the other 8 play at the home of the higher seed, let the winners of those games play at the Top-4, and then the winners of those games play in the current 4 team semifinal and final format.
Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Post by Blazers-1977 »

SuperDuck wrote:
Alan wrote:It is so much simpler than this. First, all power five conferences need to be even. Same number of conference games, everyone has a conference championship game. Champions from each five are in, then the next three..... no more then two per conference.
I understand your point about CCGs, but aside from the Oregon vs Utah game this year, the ACC had an 8-4 team going against Clemson. As much as we want to get as many of the deserving teams in, we also want to keep the undeserving teams out. Those are games that shouldn't be played.

This makes me think that maybe the playoff should expand to 12 teams. The reason being for your concern about the best teams from each conference either playing each other, or getting into the playoff.

It would also take care of the best non power-5 team getting in, as long as they were ranked in the Top-12, as well as a Top-12 Notre Dame or other independent team. Give the Top-4 teams a 1st round bye, let the other 8 play at the home of the higher seed, let the winners of those games play at the Top-4, and then the winners of those games play in the current 4 team semifinal and final format.

Maybe you could do highest-ranked team in a power 5 conference get an auto birth instead of conference champion
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Blazers-1977 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

Maybe you could do highest-ranked team in a power 5 conference get an auto birth instead of conference champion
I don’t think they will jump to a 12 team playoff at all, in fact I doubt we see an eight team playoff until the contract needs renewed although it is already long overdue. I like the CCG’s, it adds to the excitement, if I recall correctly, I believe Utah was ranked higher than Oregon going into the CCG, if we had a eight game playoff without a CCG Utah would have been in with a CCG it would have been the Ducks....... you win you’re in, I certainly do not want a bunch of.......? Ranking teams for all the spots. 5 conference champs then the next three highest, two team per conference limit. I could care less about the Boise St.’s or whoever, this is power 5 football. Back to Boise St. they can adjust their schedule just as Notre Dame does, play top tier teams and win, climb the rankings.
Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Post by Blazers-1977 »

Alan wrote:
Blazers-1977 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

I don’t think they will jump to a 12 team playoff at all, in fact I doubt we see an eight team playoff until the contract needs renewed although it is already long overdue. I like the CCG’s, it adds to the excitement, if I recall correctly, I believe Utah was ranked higher than Oregon going into the CCG, if we had a eight game playoff without a CCG Utah would have been in with a CCG it would have been the Ducks....... you win you’re in, I certainly do not want a bunch of.......? Ranking teams for all the spots. 5 conference champs then the next three highest, two team per conference limit. I could care less about the Boise St.’s or whoever, this is power 5 football. Back to Boise St. they can adjust their schedule just as Notre Dame does, play top tier teams and win, climb the rankings.

No I think there still should be a conference championship game , just that if say had Clemson lost then that 9-4 team wouldn’t make it .

Maybe your right 1-8 might be better but still do it after conference championship game and what you can do is have the 4 BCS Bowl Games (since you won’t get Peach or Cotton in this format in ) be the quarter final games .
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

I think 1-8 is better than doing conference vs conference.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Bud Lee wrote:I think 1-8 is better than doing conference vs conference.
I'm beginning to think that 1-12 would be best, with the Top-4 seeded teams getting a bye the first week. Eliminate CCGs, seed teams by committee, play games at the home of the higher seed until the semifinals, then play the semi's in major Bowl games.