How a 8 team playoff could work without ruining bowl games

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UofDuck
Senior

Re: How a 8 team playoff could work without ruining bowl gam

Post by UofDuck »

I think 12 would start to diminish the regular season. Too many multi loss teams could get in.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

UofDuck wrote:I think 12 would start to diminish the regular season. Too many multi loss teams could get in.
I very much would love a even playing field and expanded field, so is why I will express my opinion....again, lol.

I can see them voiding the contract and going with an 8 team playoff in the next couple of years but not a 12 or 16. I also want to put as little control as possible in a “committee”. I like you win you are in, all conferences have a CCG, winner is in. That only leaves three for a committee to mess up, no more than two team in per conference. Doesn’t matter if a 8-4 or a 7-5 gets in, sets up a Cinderella senerio..... you win you’re in.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Alan wrote:
UofDuck wrote:I think 12 would start to diminish the regular season. Too many multi loss teams could get in.
I very much would love a even playing field and expanded field, so is why I will express my opinion....again, lol.

I can see them voiding the contract and going with an 8 team playoff in the next couple of years but not a 12 or 16. I also want to put as little control as possible in a “committee”. I like you win you are in, all conferences have a CCG, winner is in. That only leaves three for a committee to mess up, no more than two team in per conference. Doesn’t matter if a 8-4 or a 7-5 gets in, sets up a Cinderella senerio..... you win you’re in.
What I agree with most here is lessening the role of the "committee". As it is, with the current "Invitational", the committee is nothing but a Party Planner with a seating chart. Make it a, "Win You're In" for the power 5, and yeah, the committee can figure out the other 3.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I like you win you are in, all conferences have a CCG, winner is in. That only leaves three for a committee to mess up, no more than two team in per conference.
Yes! Every Power 5 CCG winner should be in. I'd even say that until then, ONLY CCG winners should advance to the current playoff. It blows my mind that teams that don't win their conference can somehow win a natty. That would be like a bird landing on itself. I just don't get how it's possible.

I mean, I know it has happened... but has it REALLY happened? Because how can a national champion not be a champion of its own conference? It just doesn't make sense.

When David beat Goliath, God didn't look down and say, "Nice job, David, but really Goliath has been dominant for longer so I'm going to have to go ahead and give him another shot against someone who isn't you."
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

pezsez1 wrote:
I like you win you are in, all conferences have a CCG, winner is in. That only leaves three for a committee to mess up, no more than two team in per conference.
Yes! Every Power 5 CCG winner should be in. I'd even say that until then, ONLY CCG winners should advance to the current playoff. It blows my mind that teams that don't win their conference can somehow win a natty. That would be like a bird landing on itself. I just don't get how it's possible.

I mean, I know it has happened... but has it REALLY happened? Because how can a national champion not be a champion of its own conference? It just doesn't make sense.

When David beat Goliath, God didn't look down and say, "Nice job, David, but really Goliath has been dominant for longer so I'm going to have to go ahead and give him another shot against someone who isn't you."
Alabama did it, Ohio State did it, Clemson can't lose its conference, so it's actually easy to see how it happened, and it should have been enough to force the changes that have been described here. Of course it didn't because it made sense for the PTB to keep it just the way it is.