Where does Cristobal rank in top PAC-12 coaches of 2010s

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Where does Cristobal rank in top PAC-12 coaches of 2010s

Post by Blazers-1977 »

I think he is easily top 5 and a case to be made that he might be number 1. So the others who have a case would be

Chip Kelly- Led Oregon to its 3 best stretch in their history from 2010-2012 and transformed college football during their years . Two things going against him is Belloti did much of the hard work and it was just USC and Dixon’s injury keeping them from winning the PAC-10 more during the 2000s. Another is the big one and that is his current tenure at UCLA

David Shaw: Took Stanford to 4 NYC6/BCS Bowl games , 3 of them after Andrew Luck left and won two rose bowls along the way . A huge choke in 2015 to Oregon kept them from the playoffs (basically a reverse of 2012). A knock against him is that he lost

Chris Peterson : Took a team that hasn’t been relevant since The early 90s with the exception of 2000 to 3 straight NY6 Bowl games . The downside is of course he didn’t win a single one of them and only went to them due to Oregon imploding in 2016

Jim Mora - This May be controversial but I think he belongs there given how better UCLA got under his watch from 12-14 . The downside his 2015-2017 was terrible

And Mario Cristobal is - Rebuilt an Oregon team that was in shambles in 16 and 17 back to greatness in just two seasons . The downsides is his offensive play calling was way to stubborn and cost Oregon a chance at the playoffs this season .

My ranking though would be

1. David Shaw
2. Mario Cristobal
3. Chip Kelly(without his UCLA tenure he would be number 1)
4. Chris Peterson
5. Jim Mora

Honorable mentions would be : Mike Leach and Kyle Wittingham
GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Where does Cristobal rank in top PAC-12 coaches of 2010s

Post by GrantDuck »

He's had 1 good year with a senior class that wasn't recruited by him.

Let's pump the brakes a bit.

Love the direction we are going.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Chip was only at Oregon four years (3 in the decade) and went to a major bowl every year. He won a Rose Bowl and a Fiesta Bowl and lost a Rose Bowl (in 2009) and a National Championship Game. His teams finished the year ranked 3,4 and 2. So I think he had the better resume on the high end, but then of course, he hasn't been good at UCLA thus far.

Shaw really did have a good decade. Went to three Rose Bowls and won two of them. Throw in a Fiesta Bowl and Alamo Bowl appearance and a couple of Sun Bowl victories, and that's a darn good decade. Six ranked teams (7,7,11,3,12, 20), three top 10's. Highest ranking 3rd.

Peterson spent 6 years at Washington and went to a bowl every year, including a Peach, a Fiesta, and a Rose. The problem is he lost all three. He finished the year ranked three times (16th, 13th, 4th), but only once in the top 10 at number 4.

Clay Helton won a Rose Bowl and lost a Cotton Bowl and a couple of Holiday Bowls. Finished ranked twice (3rd and 12th). Highest ranking 3.

Cristobal won a Rose Bowl and finished ranked 5th.

Mora won an Alamo Bowl and led UCLA to a number of lower-tier games ranked twice (16 and 10) Highest ranking 10.

Same with Leach. Ranked once at 10.

Whittingham lost an Alamo bowl and went to a bunch of other lower-tiered bowl games. He finished ranked four times (21,17,23,16) Highest was this year at 16.

Todd Graham won a Sun Bowl and finished ranked twice (21, 12) Highest rank, 12.

Mike MacIntyre lost an Alamo Bowl and finished 17th.

Rich Rod made the Fiesta Bowl one time and lost. One ranked team, 19th.

Mike Riley lost an Alamo Bowl and finished ranked 20th once.

And then there was that one guy who, despite dealing with recruiting restrictions due to the excesses of his predecessor, went to two Alamo Bowls, winning one of them, won a playoff game that also happened to be the Rose Bowl and the biggest win in his school's history, and then lost in the National Championship game. Three ranked seasons (9, 2, 19), two top 10, a number 9 and a number 2, which matches the highest rank of any Pac 12 team in the decade. But we don't talk about him for some reason.

1. Kelly
2. Shaw
3. He Who Must Not Be Credited
4. Peterson
5. Helton
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I agree with the top two being Kelly and Shaw. Kelly changed the game for a long time. The success he had at Oregon will probably never be matched. It would be difficult.

Shaw won many games at Stanford and as mentioned won BCS bowl games. It would be tough for any coach going to Stanford and duplicating the success of Shaw.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GrantDuck wrote:He's had 1 good year with a senior class that wasn't recruited by him.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but we return 13 starters next year. That means the narrative being pushed by hopefully doog fans is false. By the end of the year, the best players on the team all got recruit by CMC and his staff.
Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Post by Blazers-1977 »

Phalanx wrote:Chip was only at Oregon four years (3 in the decade) and went to a major bowl every year. He won a Rose Bowl and a Fiesta Bowl and lost a Rose Bowl (in 2009) and a National Championship Game. His teams finished the year ranked 3,4 and 2. So I think he had the better resume on the high end, but then of course, he hasn't been good at UCLA thus far.

Shaw really did have a good decade. Went to three Rose Bowls and won two of them. Throw in a Fiesta Bowl and Alamo Bowl appearance and a couple of Sun Bowl victories, and that's a darn good decade. Six ranked teams (7,7,11,3,12, 20), three top 10's. Highest ranking 3rd.

Peterson spent 6 years at Washington and went to a bowl every year, including a Peach, a Fiesta, and a Rose. The problem is he lost all three. He finished the year ranked three times (16th, 13th, 4th), but only once in the top 10 at number 4.

Clay Helton won a Rose Bowl and lost a Cotton Bowl and a couple of Holiday Bowls. Finished ranked twice (3rd and 12th). Highest ranking 3.

Cristobal won a Rose Bowl and finished ranked 5th.

Mora won an Alamo Bowl and led UCLA to a number of lower-tier games ranked twice (16 and 10) Highest ranking 10.

Same with Leach. Ranked once at 10.

Whittingham lost an Alamo bowl and went to a bunch of other lower-tiered bowl games. He finished ranked four times (21,17,23,16) Highest was this year at 16.

Todd Graham won a Sun Bowl and finished ranked twice (21, 12) Highest rank, 12.

Mike MacIntyre lost an Alamo Bowl and finished 17th.

Rich Rod made the Fiesta Bowl one time and lost. One ranked team, 19th.

Mike Riley lost an Alamo Bowl and finished ranked 20th once.

And then there was that one guy who, despite dealing with recruiting restrictions due to the excesses of his predecessor, went to two Alamo Bowls, winning one of them, won a playoff game that also happened to be the Rose Bowl and the biggest win in his school's history, and then lost in the National Championship game. Three ranked seasons (9, 2, 19), two top 10, a number 9 and a number 2, which matches the highest rank of any Pac 12 team in the decade. But we don't talk about him for some reason.

1. Kelly
2. Shaw
3. He Who Must Not Be Credited
4. Peterson
5. Helton

I agree Kelly is number 1 if we only use his Oregon tenure but his UCLA tenure does push him down. Helton while he like Cristobal did win a Rose Bowl, his best team went 11-3 while Cristobal's went 12-2 and he has been a far worse recruiter than Cristobal has been. The fact that he has been recruiting so badly with a team with the resources and history like USC shows that he isnt a very good coach either and that has caused the team to spiral down after 2017 too.

Helfrich is no where near as good as Cristobal as a coach, he just had by far the most talented teams out of anybody on this list which is why he had the success he had in his first two years. The fact that he didnt win a national title with those teams actually is a huge negative. Even with the injuries we still could have beaten Ohio St if not for terrible red zone calling by Helfrich and terrible defense play calling as well. Helfrich also is same person who hired Pellum and Hoke to be the teams defensive coordinators which made our defenses one of the worst in the nation in 2015 and 2016 as well. Then the fact is recruiting collapsed under his tenure , and the team just self-imploded under his wach in 2016.

Helfrich would be in one of the worst coaches list in my opinion

I would say that Cristobal>Peterson as while Peterson did take a team that hasnt been relevant since Don James(other than 2000) to 3 NY6 Bowls you could argue Steve Sarkisian did much of the work(they finished 9-4 in 2013) while Cristobal inherited a team that had imploded in 2016 then barely recovered in 2017(the team finished 7-6) and despite the loss of Freeman he took the team back to glory in just two years. Peterson's team's on the other hand never won an NY6 bowl game and even in 2016 was overrated due to hammering an Oregon team that had self-imploded and I would say if they played Penn State in the Rose Bowl they would have lost. Now Peterson, if he was hired at USC in 2013 say instead of UW, could have been number 1 on this list due to the resources they have but that is a what if and we can only judge someone based on what they did with the team they did coach.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

buckmarkduck wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:He's had 1 good year with a senior class that wasn't recruited by him.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but we return 13 starters next year. That means the narrative being pushed by hopefully doog fans is false. By the end of the year, the best players on the team all got recruit by CMC and his staff.
I'm not sure if you are attributing all the Taggart recruits like Jordon Scott, Thomas Graham, Jevon Holland and JJIII to Cristobal because he was on staff, but even if you are being that generous, I still don't think this is true. Heck, some of the 13 returners you mentioned are still Helf guys. Breeze is coming back, and so is Lenoir. On offense, Alex Forsythe, Cam McCormick, Cj Verdell and Jaylon Redd were all Helf recruits and all have a pretty good chance of starting.

I really like Cristobal, but in my mind, the jury is still out on his ability to develop a pipeline of guys that can win big games, especially on offense.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The top 3 guys last year were easily Sewell, KT and Holland. All 3 will be first rounders, with Sewell and KT top 5 picks. And if you listen to the Sewell family. They all think Jones is just as good as Penei, and will be a all conference guy this year. If they are even remotely right, we have 2 studs at Tackle this year.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

buckmarkduck wrote:The top 3 guys last year were easily Sewell, KT and Holland. All 3 will be first rounders, with Sewell and KT top 5 picks. And if you listen to the Sewell family. They all think Jones is just as good as Penei, and will be a all conference guy this year. If they are even remotely right, we have 2 studs at Tackle this year.
I totally agree that those three are great players, although Holland was recruited under Taggart. I really hope you are right about Jones too, and that Jonah Tauanu'u fulfills his promise as well. I think in general though that Helfrich was a better recruiter than he is given credit for, and so far Taggart and Cristobal's highly-rated classes seem to have a lot of misses in them, or at least, late bloomers. Just for fun, try scrolling through the 2018 class that was supposedly rated 13th in the country. After you get past Sewell and Holland, it's pretty disappointing so far (2019 looks better).

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Se ... l/Commits/
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Phalanx wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:The top 3 guys last year were easily Sewell, KT and Holland. All 3 will be first rounders, with Sewell and KT top 5 picks. And if you listen to the Sewell family. They all think Jones is just as good as Penei, and will be a all conference guy this year. If they are even remotely right, we have 2 studs at Tackle this year.
I totally agree that those three are great players, although Holland was recruited under Taggart. I really hope you are right about Jones too, and that Jonah Tauanu'u fulfills his promise as well. I think in general though that Helfrich was a better recruiter than he is given credit for, and so far Taggart and Cristobal's highly-rated classes seem to have a lot of misses in them, or at least, late bloomers. Just for fun, try scrolling through the 2018 class. After you get past Sewell and Holland, it's pretty disappointing so far (2019 looks better).

In general? According to whom?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phalanx wrote:
I totally agree that those three are great players, although Holland was recruited under Taggart. I really hope you are right about Jones too, and that Jonah Tauanu'u fulfills his promise as well. I think in general though that Helfrich was a better recruiter than he is given credit for, and so far Taggart and Cristobal's highly-rated classes seem to have a lot of misses in them, or at least, late bloomers. Just for fun, try scrolling through the 2018 class that was supposedly rated 13th in the country. After you get past Sewell and Holland, it's pretty disappointing so far (2019 looks better).

Helfrich lucked into Herbert. He and Frost weren't even going to offer him. Greatwood on the other hand always recruited pretty well.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Phalanx wrote:

Helfrich lucked into Herbert. He and Frost weren't even going to offer him. Great wood on the other hand always recruited pretty well.
IIRC, Greatwood was the one who actually "discovered" Marcus Mariota, then pushed for Helf to check him out.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

:lol: :lol:

These posts are hilarious. Poor Helfrich was just bumbling along, accidentally recruiting two of the best quarterbacks in Oregon history, calling no plays, and basically letting his assistants do everything that turned out well, while all the bad stuff was his fault.
Whatever. I don't actually care what the process was, I just care about the results, which is why I posted them above. In terms of results, Helfrich had the third best decade in the Pac 12. Here's to Cristobal having the first best in the 2020's.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

woundedknees wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Phalanx wrote:

Helfrich lucked into Herbert. He and Frost weren't even going to offer him. Great wood on the other hand always recruited pretty well.
IIRC, Greatwood was the one who actually "discovered" Marcus Mariota, then pushed for Helf to check him out.

He's the one coach I wish FWT had found a way to keep on staff. Mario could have been co oc and tackles, together they would have been unstoppable.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Mario wouldn’t have come here unless he had full control of them OL.