Where does Cristobal rank in top PAC-12 coaches of 2010s

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Re: Where does Cristobal rank in top PAC-12 coaches of 2010s

Post by Blazers-1977 »

Phalanx wrote::lol: :lol:

These posts are hilarious. Poor Helfrich was just bumbling along, accidentally recruiting two of the best quarterbacks in Oregon history, calling no plays, and basically letting his assistants do everything that turned out well, while all the bad stuff was his fault.
Whatever. I don't actually care what the process was, I just care about the results, which is why I posted them above. In terms of results, Helfrich had the third best decade in the Pac 12. Here's to Cristobal having the first best in the 2020's.

What about the fact that our defense fell apart after Aliotti left(If Aliotti was the defensive coordinator in 2014 we would have won it all) , what about the fact that in 2013 Oregon played terribly against Stanford and Arizona. The 2013 and 2014 successes were on Mariota and the fact that he was putting up video games numbers till the Stanford game in 2013 and in the 2014 season. The fact that Oregon needed to recruit a grad-transfer for the 2015 season especially after how great the early 2010s were for Oregon showed he was bad recruiter. Also 2015 Oregon without Vernon Adams was basically a preview of how the 2016 season would go, which was Oregon losing game after game . Losing 62-20 to Utah at home and 70-21 to Washington at home was disgraceful, and allowing the team to self-implode the way they did in 2016 showed how terrible of a coach he was.

The fact is we should have hired Chris Peterson after Chip Left and kept Helfrich around as an Offensive Coordinator and I am 100% sure if Peterson was willing to leave Boise St to go to a Washington team that hadnt been relevant in a long time, he would certinaly go to Oregon, a team that were title contenders and if we did I am sure we would have won a title in 2014 and Oregon would have remained title contenders post Mariota too and we would be spouting a 16 game win streak against the Huskies too.

We are lucky that we were able to get someone like Cristobal as our coach or we would be still stuck fixing the mess Helfrich created.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Blazers-1977 wrote:
What about the fact that our defense fell apart after Aliotti left(If Aliotti was the defensive coordinator in 2014 we would have won it all) , what about the fact that in 2013 Oregon played terribly against Stanford and Arizona. The 2013 and 2014 successes were on Mariota and the fact that he was putting up video games numbers till the Stanford game in 2013 and in the 2014 season. The fact that Oregon needed to recruit a grad-transfer for the 2015 season especially after how great the early 2010s were for Oregon showed he was bad recruiter. Also 2015 Oregon without Vernon Adams was basically a preview of how the 2016 season would go, which was Oregon losing game after game . Losing 62-20 to Utah at home and 70-21 to Washington at home was disgraceful, and allowing the team to self-implode the way they did in 2016 showed how terrible of a coach he was.

The fact is we should have hired Chris Peterson after Chip Left and kept Helfrich around as an Offensive Coordinator and I am 100% sure if Peterson was willing to leave Boise St to go to a Washington team that hadnt been relevant in a long time, he would certinaly go to Oregon, a team that were title contenders and if we did I am sure we would have won a title in 2014 and Oregon would have remained title contenders post Mariota too and we would be spouting a 16 game win streak against the Huskies too.

We are lucky that we were able to get someone like Cristobal as our coach or we would be still stuck fixing the mess Helfrich created.
I have no idea what would have happened if Helfrich would not have been fired. Maybe he would have finally heard the alarm bells on the defense after going 4-8, maybe the A.D. would have agreed to the budget increase they clearly agreed to under Taggart to go hire a better defensive staff. Or maybe not. It isn't really the point of this thread is it? I listed the pure, unbiased results above. Helfrich's record was better than every Pac 12 coach in the decade except two, and he did it while on NCAA recruiting sanctions. Out of four years as head coach, he finished ranked in three of them, twice in the top 10. He might have had three top 10's if Vernon Adams doesn't get hurt at halftime of the Alamo Bowl.

You are really using the need for a transfer at QB as evidence that Helf was a bad coach? Who won the national championship and the Heisman this year? I assume you are fine when Cristobal attempted the same thing only a few weeks ago? Is this really your argument? Helfrich identified and landed Vernon Adams. That's a good thing, not a bad thing.

You don't like that Oregon sucked when Adams went down. Welcome to Oregon. Bill Musgrave, Kellen Clemens, Dennis Dixon, Vernon Adams, Justin Herbert...the Ducks usually don't have a star back-up QB when the starter goes down, and they usually lose afterwards. Seems to be the case under Cristobal as well, which is why he tried to land a grad transfer, and why they didn't let Herbert run this year. I didn't like the lack of a QB pipeline back then and said so here, but in reality, the year after Adams graduated, Herbert came on board, and was the starter by game 5, and Terry Wilson left to be the starter at Kentucky. Mariota, Adams, Herbert. Three of the best QB's in Oregon history, all recruited by Helfrich, the two-time National QB Coach of the Year. I don't think QB recruiting and development was going to be a systemic problem.

I'm happy to have Cristobal now, and he had a great year with mostly guys he didn't recruit. Hopefully he can make the transition with his own guys, and in ten years we will be talking about his amazing run as coach of the decade. To say that he has achieved more than Helfrich at this point though is premature.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

GrantDuck wrote:He's had 1 good year with a senior class that wasn't recruited by him.

Let's pump the brakes a bit.

Love the direction we are going.
EXACTLY...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

I really like MC but lets wait and see a little bit - I hope he does well !
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Blazers-1977 wrote:
What about the fact that our defense fell apart after Aliotti left(If Aliotti was the defensive coordinator in 2014 we would have won it all)
Bruh, Allioti needed to go. That Pellum and Hoke were brought in afterwards doesn't change the fact that he needed to go. The entire ethos of his defense was bad and we wouldn't have won it all with him as DC against Ohio State.