Andrew Nemec is unbearable

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Re: Andrew Nemec is unbearable

Post by Alan »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Since Mosely left the Register Guard he has become a mouthpiece for Oregon. He pumps up people the coaches or athletic department want. Few years ago he was pumping up the qbs after Mariota. I can not even think of his name but he could not even complete a pass down field. Anytime I read his reports have to keep in mind it is not analysis, it is what the coaches or athletic department want the readers to see. Is no objectivity from him.
He gets paid by the Ducks, he works for the Ducks, his job is what the Ducks tell him his duties are....... just like anyone else who has ever had a job, you do what the guy writing the checks tells you to do.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Since Mosely left the Register Guard he has become a mouthpiece for Oregon. He pumps up people the coaches or athletic department want. Few years ago he was pumping up the qbs after Mariota. I can not even think of his name but he could not even complete a pass down field. Anytime I read his reports have to keep in mind it is not analysis, it is what the coaches or athletic department want the readers to see. Is no objectivity from him.
My guy isn't going to sit there and hate on the guys he covers, that's how you loose access as a reporter.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Loose lips sink ships am i right??

Also the "pigs" is in reference to when Nemdick started going at Matt Prehm and Rob commented to Matt "you're not wresting with the pigs again?" or something to that effect. Either way Nemdick & Fentress , I have no idea how they have jobs.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

FlDuckFan wrote:
My guy isn't going to sit there and hate on the guys he covers, that's how you loose access as a reporter.
Lose access as a reporter? You do realize he is no longer a reporter, he's PR. He works for the Athletic Department. I'm not saying he should be dunking on Twitter idiots, but lets not act like he's actually a journalist.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Rob is kind of a dick. I admire his social media savvy here, but dismissing a peer (Nemec) as a "hot take guy" is still kinda dickish.

(To be fair, people on this forum have said Nemec is kind of a dick, too.)

Rob left journalism to walk the University line for a nice paycheck. He can't call beat reporters "hot take guys" with any real credibility.

I'm not blaming Rob for taking that job -- it's a sweet gig, and I left journalism for a sweet job, too -- but come on, man. A mouthpiece calling a beat reporter a "hot take guy" just seems pretty silly to me.

Maybe this is just what happens when two dicks go head-to-head.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

pezsez1 wrote:Rob is kind of a dick. I admire his social media savvy here, but dismissing a peer (Nemec) as a "hot take guy" is still kinda dickish.

(To be fair, people on this forum have said Nemec is kind of a dick, too.)

Rob left journalism to walk the University line for a nice paycheck. He can't call beat reporters "hot take guys" with any real credibility.

I'm not blaming Rob for taking that job -- it's a sweet gig, and I left journalism for a sweet job, too -- but come on, man. A mouthpiece calling a beat reporter a "hot take guy" just seems pretty silly to me.

Maybe this is just what happens when two dicks go head-to-head.
I both agree that Rob is kind of a dick, and agree with Rob that Nemec is a hot take guy (and frankly, nothing more).
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

I see no issue with Rob calling out a Hot Take Guy. Neither are true journalists, so what? It doesn't mean Rob can't call a spade a spade.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

When has Nemec ever been a hot take guy, at least as Oregon's beat writer? Usually, his recruiting "predications" are what everyone else has already been saying on this forum for weeks. When is the last time he made any kind of hot take?

For him to call Arroyo an average offensive coordinator (and a C is average) is certainly NOT a hot take. Folks here may disagree with that, but disagreeing does not make Nemec's take uncommon.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just trying to figure out what I've missed. I think of guys like Skip Bayless when I hear "hot take." I certainly don't think of Andrew Nemec. If anything, his stories are kind of bland.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Both of these guys are just playing their pre-defined roles and this interaction is utterly predictable. Moseley, as an employee of the university could not do other than stick up for a former Oregon coach, and Nemec, whose job is to appeal to fans and generate web traffic, would be a fool to heap praise on Arroyo, who was widely criticized by fans. I'm not sure there is anything really to see here - maybe a little entertainment watching two egos go at it, but that's it. Nemec is fine for what he provides - we all read his recruiting info even if he is abrasive once in awhile. Moseley has lost nearly all of his former attraction for me. He used to have interesting reports, and now I would only read him to find out if guys are participating. He reminds me of if Toby from HR became a sports writer.

I think the phrase 'hot take' is inherently short-sighted and arrogant. It is typically directed at fans, without whom football would be a game played by kids on a vacant lot. The opinion of the average fan means more than any sportswriter, university employee, or player. Whenever any of those people try to marginalize the opinion of fans, they are biting the hand that feeds them. Arroyo's offense was not entertaining, and fans have every right to express their dissatisfaction with it. I like Moseley, but if he can't take opinions contrary to the coaches, he can pound sand. He's a shill, his university-sponsored opinion means less than nothing.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

I came to The War Room and read this entire thread and I’m confused. I guess I just don’t get recruiting these days.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:When has Nemec ever been a hot take guy, at least as Oregon's beat writer? Usually, his recruiting "predications" are what everyone else has already been saying on this forum for weeks. When is the last time he made any kind of hot take?

For him to call Arroyo an average offensive coordinator (and a C is average) is certainly NOT a hot take. Folks here may disagree with that, but disagreeing does not make Nemec's take uncommon.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just trying to figure out what I've missed. I think of guys like Skip Bayless when I hear "hot take." I certainly don't think of Andrew Nemec. If anything, his stories are kind of bland.
Just a slight correction here.

Nemec has never been the Oregon beat writer. His beat is recruiting for Oregon and Oregon State and Oregon high school students recruitment. He doesn't go to practices or write articles about the UO/OSU games or teams.

His twitter takes on games and coaching are as a fan or local sports observer, not job related. Were he a team beat writer his posts would be unprofessional and cost him access but he is not.

The thing he does best in his job is promote and advise Oregon high school players slightly below D1 level in getting noticed by FCS, Division III and NAIA schools. Those of us who have family in that category appreciate his work. No one else in the media does it. So if he wants to make the kind of fan posts on twitter that we do here on the forum I don't have a problem with it. His fan stuff is mild compared to what gets posted here during games in the game thread.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Nemec has never been the Oregon beat writer. His beat is recruiting for Oregon and Oregon State and Oregon high school students recruitment. He doesn't go to practices or write articles about the UO/OSU games or teams.
That's what I was getting at... he is an Oregon beat writer, but his beat is broader. Was just trying to not get weighed down by details.

I am not much of a Twitter person, so was completely unaware that he has an entirely different Twitter personality... but agreed that is unrelated to his work as a professional. He's covering sports, not politics, so there's more room for that kind of thing. (I wouldn't have done it, but I covered local government.)

I'm sure the Oregon football machine (which includes Rob) is irritated AF at all the criticism over Arroyo -- and not because the criticism is incorrect, but because it goes against its branding. In fact, I'd say the criticism of Arroyo was the ONLY thing that consistently went against Oregon's branding this past season. So here we have Rob using his professional DuckFootball handle to make a personal dig at another guy's professionalism over an inconvenient (and widely discussed) truth that's been simmering for months -- and really, this only happened because Rob took the bait from some rando Twitter user. Total amateur hour.

Also, Nemec's assessment of Rob in his Twitter reply is spot-on. Like, spot-on. Rob definitely views himself as smarter/more woke/above the fray than everyone else, but when called out on inappropriate behavior he's just... petty. This is why I stopped talking to him long ago, and sadly he doesn't appear to have grown up.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

I have to say I find it funny that Arroyo is getting allot of defenders on this thread, whereas most of his time as DC the majority of posters on this site have killed him. I mean I could find 100 posts on here saying worse things than Nemec did (and I'm neutral at best about Nemec).
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

The most I ever got from Nemec was that he covered recruiting for Oregon & Oregon State, and that OS fans constantly thought that he didn't cover OS enough..so not really too much of an opinion on him. But a media member that I do find unbearable is Aaron Fentress.
No matter the venue, to me he came off as an ass. That he was the smartest guy in the room at all times was his persona. He could not help but be condescending in his conversations with anybody else; if his self awareness ever noticed this, his only response was, "I'm keepin' it real".
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

wlduck wrote:I have to say I find it funny that Arroyo is getting allot of defenders on this thread, whereas most of his time as DC the majority of posters on this site have killed him. I mean I could find 100 posts on here saying worse things than Nemec did (and I'm neutral at best about Nemec).
You might be giving false equivalence to saying Nemec is trash and that opinion being a defense of Arroyo. I don't think the two are connected.