Renaming the Rivalry

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Renaming the Rivalry

Post by nogerO »

Let's assume this renaming of the annual football game between the ducks and beavers doesn't get pushed back after this BS is over, what would your name for it be?

How about Scuffle on the Willamette...

Tussle for the Platypus?

Hicks vs Nerds?

Kerfuffle for the bragging rights?

Please feel free to postulate...
Last edited by nogerO on Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phalanx
Senior

Re: OK

Post by Phalanx »

Hmmm, if only there was a name for a high-intensity conflict between two organized groups who live together in the same state. Wait a minute, I'm sure it will come to me.
RanDux
Senior

Re: OK

Post by RanDux »

Platypus Bowl, Platypus War, or Platypus something or the other.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Renaming the Rivalry

Post by UOducksTK1 »

The civil battle

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

2 I heard were "The Platty" and the "Beaver Eater Bowl"

:lol:
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

The uncivil war

The PC Bowl
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

The flavor of the week bowl
The game that was once civil
The civil war

If they are changing the name I don’t see how they could use war or battle anything like that. It is sure to offend someone
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

If I had to choose the Platypus Bowl or the Civil War, I'd choose the Platypus Bowl. It's a much better fit for our program (and OSU's) and the marketing opportunities would be amazing.

Also, we could call it "The Platty."

Hard pass on anything like Uncivil War, Civil Battle, etc... that just conveys a message that we're half-assing this change and not taking the reasons behind it seriously. Even if lots of fans aren't taking this seriously, that's definitely not the message we want to risk conveying to recruits.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

pezsez1 wrote:If I had to choose the Platypus Bowl or the Civil War, I'd choose the Platypus Bowl. It's a much better fit for our program (and OSU's) and the marketing opportunities would be amazing.

Hard pass on anything like Uncivil War, Civil Battle, etc... that just conveys a message that we're half-assing this change and not taking the reasons behind it seriously. Even if lots of fans aren't taking this seriously, that's definitely not the message we want to risk conveying to recruits.
Not all of us agree at all with the name change and I for one am getting tired of this platform, one or two voices changing traditions which have little to do with racial issues. We are talking about a football rivalry not a war and black lives benefited from the result of the civil war. I know what it is really about, it. Has nothing to do with bending over to prove you are politically correct no matter how many people are unhappy........ one voice shouldn’t change things for millions without due process.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I mean we have to rename the state. The Oregon Trail, are you f'in kidding me with this Colonialist BS. I'm so triggered.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Alan wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:If I had to choose the Platypus Bowl or the Civil War, I'd choose the Platypus Bowl. It's a much better fit for our program (and OSU's) and the marketing opportunities would be amazing.

Not all of us agree at all with the name change and I for one am getting tired of this platform, one or two voices changing traditions which have little to do with racial issues. We are talking about a football rivalry not a war and black lives benefited from the result of the civil war. I know what it is really about, it. Has nothing to do with bending over to prove you are politically correct no matter how many people are unhappy........ one voice shouldn’t change things for millions without due process.
You do realize it was the schools who agreed to change the official nickname of sporting event, nothing more, nothing less?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

maxduck wrote:
Alan wrote:

You do realize it was the schools who agreed to change the official nickname of sporting event, nothing more, nothing less?
Yes, because of a suggestion/pushing of one former athlete from Oregon. One voice changed a very long standing tradition and it has nothing to do with the actual civil war other than name and nothing to do with equal rights...... one voice and every fan now has to accept it without being allowed a voice........ again I know it was up to the schools, It’s frigging football! Bring the focus back to we’re it belongs, racial equality! Not book burnings and witch hunts.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Improper Deportment Bowl... Doh!

Guess that would trigger somebody!

How about, "The Politically Corrective Action"?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

How about Hemp Bowl or Aquatic squabble?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
duckpoint
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckpoint »

How about this...

the Symbolic Struggle Of Geographically Adjacent Adversaries or the S.S.O.G.A.A.

I can't think of any reason that name would offend any group or individual, but of course reason is seldom used in making such determinations.

Since we're changing things up a bit, it's a perfect time to remove any violence (hate) or anything that could be construed as violence from the game, and of course there should be no winner or loser. Everyone gets a trophy!